PDA

View Full Version : Mercruiser experts

marcdups
12-26-2001, 10:34 AM
Hi all, hope your Christmas has been wonderful and that Santa brought you all the goodies you wished for. Could anyone tell me anything about the Mercruiser standoff kit? It looks like an extension to an outdrive, any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Towel Boy!!

Keeping my towel on in this cool weather :D :eek: :D

HP 600SC
12-27-2001, 07:25 AM
Merry Christmas Marc!
I am no expert.....I think you are refering to the new stand off thing merc came up
with for the HP transome....uses a XR
or XZ drive. Looks alot like the WPM
box to me.....

Hope you got two towels for the cold!
Ted M.

roadtrip se
12-27-2001, 01:43 PM
Marcdups,

While I am no mercurusier expert, I do know about the new Integrated Transom System from them.

The ITS is a combo seven inch extension box with an integrated hydraulic steering system. If you have seen the six drive, the ITS looks and operates like its big brother. Also cleans up the transom compared to a normal external hydraulic setup. Pricey though at a little under nine thousand per drive and only available, for now, with the HP series of engines.

Maybe somebody has tried it, but I don't really see how an extension box on a Classic would really provide any benefit any way. I'll probably eat my words when somebody shows up at the AOTH with a Clasic rigged out with one!

Todd

marcdups
12-27-2001, 06:40 PM
Hey Guys it is a stand off kit that was supplied between 1986 to 1995 for the SS drives including the Alphas, part #43460A1 or 43436A4, just wondering, also the million $$ question, can I take an alpha SS lower unit , change the drive shaft to an alpha gen II and bolt it onto a Gen II upper drive???

Thanks for any imput, More towels needed today, need to move south

turbo2256
12-27-2001, 11:28 PM
I know the complete SS Alpha can be adapted to a gen II gimble hsg cost about 150 dollars if price hasnt increased (gimble has to be machined out) or bolt right onto I drive gimple hsg if it has the same style shift (the newer style). Alpha I type 1 can also be put on an I drive gimble like the SS.Another point if you dont already know the SS is 2 1/2 or 3 inches shorter but half is in the gear case the other half is in the lower unit. So by putting SS lower unit on a
Alpha you only loose 1 1/4 ... 1 1/2 on your X dim and may have to use a smaller dia prop.
If u can bolt an SS onto a a gen II Alpha or gen I gear case you would most likly have to modify or make your own coupler or shaft.