PDA

View Full Version : Thunder On the Bay Count Down (Jackson Marine Poker Run)

Shanghied Again
07-22-2002, 07:59 PM
Ok signed up and ready to go See everyone there! :D PS leaving NJ The Friday night before if anyone wants to hook up for a Donzi Convoy!

Dr. Dan
07-22-2002, 08:38 PM
Frank, Liz and I will be down Friday nite for the owners meeting, staying at the "Crystal Palace" :p hope all is well, look forward to meeting you and your lovely Co-Pilot. :D ...Doc

Greg Maier
07-23-2002, 12:40 PM
I live about 15 miles from Jackson Marine. I'm planning on being at the drivers meeting on Friday Night. Since this is my first poker run, I have a few questions.

1. How hard do people push it, what kind of speeds can I expect. My girlfriend will be with me and she won't let me go over 40 mph (with a Blackhawk !), will I be left way behind or are there going to be some slower boats there.

2. Do the GPS coordinates have all the turns or are they just for the destinations. If I put them in my chartplotter, would I be able to follow them exactly?

Dr. Dan
07-23-2002, 04:36 PM
Greg, You can cruise with us :D , it's not a race but at times becomes one sort of :p , but the course is an easy one to follow, and yes, Steph has put together some pretty detailed coordinates and unless its foggy or a Hurricane eek! , you probably won't need them,but they are good to have and fun to Track your course! Last year our top speed on the GPS was 52 mph, it was rainy and funky weather, so there was a bit of that BB in you face kinda thing workin! :rolleyes: We had a Blast, and it always gets a good write up in the Mariner and the Ches. Bay Mag. The crowd is a good crowd and mostly a family environment, so your wife will be comfortable, my wife Liz will probably even be driving every now and then...she loves the Rush! Any questions email me, we put in at Anchor Marine all of the time, and our very familiar with the Upper Bay.... :cool: ...Doc

Greg Maier
07-23-2002, 05:55 PM
Doc,
What kind of Donzi will you be in? How long is the course? I only carry 55 gallons and that 502 can eat! I'm not sure where I'm going to put in. I live in the area but do most of my boating near Annapolis.

Dr. Dan
07-23-2002, 06:32 PM
Greg, We have a '93, 22Classic 454 King Cobra, Teal Center Stripe and Teal Boot Strap on White Hull, we went almost completely through the whole tank, last years course was somewhere between 60 and 80 miles long, and there are several places to gas up along the way if need be...We will put in at Anchor Marine between 7:30 and 8:30 am on Saturday :rolleyes: , less confusion and less congestion mostly wink , compared to Shelter Cove(Jackson's)! Anchor has Nice parking facilities, and it's a 5 minute run up to Jackson Marine by water...last year Jacksons Lift took a dump the night before, so it was asses and elbows the morning of the Run! I think the course this year is a bit more user friendly and we are not cruising sooooo far up the "NO Wake Zone" in the Sassafras River, we are only going to Skip Jack (Fuel Stop BTW) The Start is usually time Staggered by size and or speed of Boats, with the Monster Steroid Boats Bringing up the Rear, and the little ones going first,you and I would go in the 2nd heat...last year first launch was a 10:00am and we left at 10:20 or so...we ran a bit less than 3 hours of pretty steady running...BRING YOUR CAMERA eek! ! FYI :p To find Anchor Marines Launch Ramp($8) go East through the town of NorthEast, on the right hand side you will see the VFW Hall, as the road turns into a two way again the first RIGHT is Susquehanna Road(YOU'LL SEE LARGE GO FAST BOATS PARKED in a fenced lot), turn right and go straight and stay too the right...those heading to Jacksons, head towards Elk Neck State Park and follow signs to Shelter Cove... :D ...Doc

Shanghied Again
07-23-2002, 07:01 PM
Hi Doc, We will be staying at the Crystal palace to we will be up Friday night hopefully early enough to get to the meeting! See you there.
Frank PS. We are getting the boat ready for 4 Poker Runs in a row. I even turned down Poker Run America in Cleveland to be at Jacksons. Philly is Aug 3rd, From Dave and Busters to the C&D Canal for lunch then back! Then Jacksons Poker Run, and the next one is 1000 Islands Canada the Grand daddy of all Poker Runs, Last is The Roar at the Shore at Windward Beach Bricktown Labor day weekend Custom Car show Boat show and Poker Run, The first event of its kind in NJ. I am Pysched!

Greg Maier
07-23-2002, 07:11 PM
Doc,
I'll be in a 22 classic blackhawk (non-limited edition model) with a teal center stripe and a teal hull. I'm looking forward to it.

Dr. Dan
07-23-2002, 09:44 PM
Wow Frank, You are the man... :D Greg, I like your taste in Color Schemes....we'll see ya both there, we leave tomorrow evening for Winni' Poker Run...we'll try to rescue Digger from his Donzi Bandit Captures! :p ...Doc

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-24-2002, 05:17 AM
Frank, where can I get more info on "The Roar at the Shore at Windward Beach Bricktown?"

Bryan

Shanghied Again
07-24-2002, 04:18 PM
Bryan www.njppc.com (http://www.njppc.com) I will also mail you the poster.

fasttrucker
07-26-2002, 06:07 PM
my donzi is back from performance shop. :) iam really happy with the results.low 70s.just sent in my reply to jackson marine, this should be a lot of fun.look forward to the drivers meeting understand there is a cash bar.hope i dont oversleep and miss the poker run the next day! eek!

undertaker
07-27-2002, 01:04 PM
Doc we will be there Friday for drivers meeting we are staying at the Crystal Inn, see you there.

HyperDonzi
07-27-2002, 08:32 PM
undertaker, nice avitar

undertaker
07-28-2002, 09:47 AM
Thanks, I like it too. Donzi's rule

Dr. Dan
07-30-2002, 06:23 AM
Just wanted to bring this back around to the Top :D We are all pumped for this years Bay Event! Regatta Photo is offering individual Videos of your boat doing the run, and also a complete Thunder On The Bay video of this years run, plus your choice of individual shots of your boat running the Bay eek! Mike Miller will be there with Donzi Goodies in Tow! We need more "Donzi Registry" participants (Classics), please register soon... www.jacksonmarinesales.com (http://www.jacksonmarinesales.com)
all info is under Jacksons Poker Run section on their site! :p We have received 3 to 4 new registrants in the last week, which is cool :cool: , I want more though! Don't be shy, show off your Classics in one of the countries premier settings, I know you'll have a good time :rolleyes: (questions email me)...Doc

Shanghied Again
07-30-2002, 05:49 PM
Doc, The upper part of the bay is that fresh water like the Delaware? I know it has to be more fresh then salt if any salt at all!

Dr. Dan
07-30-2002, 08:20 PM
Frank, Yes it is, normally down around St.Michaels or Rock Hall it gets salty later in the year. Northern Bay is like a big fresh water Lake with all of the fresh water rivers running into it! :D ...Doc

JP BRESCIA
07-30-2002, 08:31 PM
I am signed-up and psyched-up. I have a small gremlin causing a problem but it is no big deal. My only issue is installing a set of tabs between now and then. I am told they make all the difference. I plotted the course using some navigation software and it looks like a good run. Approx 72.6 miles long. According to my plotter, a few of the waypoints are strange. When we enter the CD canal, the course appears on land, but following the angle of the canal. It is probably a user error :rolleyes: but I think it is a good idea that someone else check my results. I am looking forward to a great day. It also happens to be my first poker run as well.

Dr. Dan
07-31-2002, 05:04 AM
JP, I would not worry tooooooooooo much about the coordinates being off, especially if it occurs in the C & D, we stop at the Mid point, across from Shaffers Canal House. It would be the hardest stop to miss! :D It's right under a large Steel Bridge,then you bang a right into a little Cove to the Chesapeake Inn. Also note: The C & D Canal has a 7+knot current flowing toward the Delaware River(Phili)this IS A MAJOR SHIPPING LANE and it gets narrow, so be mindful of that! Last year a couple of cruisers came through all at once, even though it was a no wake zone, and it was like surfing in Hawaii eek! , a great scenic cruise though! wink ...Doc

fasttrucker
08-03-2002, 08:12 AM
doctor dan,iam sorry i didnt buy a classic but my 28zx will be in the show,its not like i bought that baja!hope to meet and shake hands we might not kiss but we can still be freinds. wink

Dr. Dan
08-03-2002, 12:07 PM
Fast, You're Welcome with any type of Donzi at the Thunder Event! :D There will in fact be quite a few ZX's and not so many Classics actually! Although I have done my best to try to recruit all types of Donzis to this Event, it is what it is! wink It'll be a great time, Dance for good weather! :p ...Doc

GEOO
08-03-2002, 04:23 PM
I'm sorry I won't be able to make it. Boat run's well, too many family commitments. wink

Shanghied Again
08-04-2002, 05:29 PM
We will be there Friday Less our 26ZX, We took out a drive? Now we will see how Z care works. The funny thing is we had to go back to the Chesapeak Inn in to get the boat! We were in the C+D canal when the drive sounded like a blender, Hopefully she will be fixed by Friday but I doubt it! frown

Dr. Dan
08-04-2002, 08:33 PM
We'll keep our fingers crossed Frank! wink ...Doc