PDA

View Full Version : Custom Boat Covers

catch 22
01-25-2003, 04:30 PM
I'm looking for a full cover for a 1998 Donzi 22 classic. Any help would be appreciated. :) Thanks, Catch 22 Jim

harbormaster
01-25-2003, 04:47 PM
Ask Dr Dan.

He has a really nice one.

Fish boy
01-25-2003, 05:55 PM
http://www.boatcoversdirect.com/boat_covers_3.php?model_id=3071&manufacturer_id=100&action.x=29&action.y=11

This says for 1995 ONLY, but I am not sure what the differenes are and how they would effect your 1998. As far as I know, this is the only company that makes specific boat covers for specific models, however, I would suggest searching the archives of this site- I am sure this question has come up at least once before. Goood luck,

Fish

PS Since you are in Fla, you might want to check with Budmann, he had someone make a custom cover for his boat in Clearwater.

Dr. Dan
01-25-2003, 06:56 PM
:cool: Catch ...Liz an I purchased a Sunbrella Fabric Custom Cover from www.coverquest.com (http://www.coverquest.com) they have a Donzi Schedule of Hulls, and a blank form you can fill out online...print out your order confirmation and you will have it fairly soon....Ours is used alot, we trailer over 15,000 miles per Donzi Season...and we add chaffing protection under it for long hauls....although it is a terrific cover...even the best fabric will chaff at Highway Speeds....we are very pleased with it's performance...it is currently covering it from these frigid temps this Winter....Good Luck ... wink ...Doc

Sam
01-25-2003, 07:21 PM
I ordered a custom cover from Cover Quest for my sixteen and am not impressed with the fit. At best it's a semi custom fit. I would find a good marine canvas shop in you area and sit down with him and draw up a plan. Actualy I am probably going to go this route this spring and use the one have for very dirty environments. I will say this don't go cheap, get the Sunbrella. I have had it on all my boats and it is first rate stuff. Just my two cents.

Sam :cool:

ToonaFish
01-25-2003, 07:31 PM
This may be a repeat, but do you guys know that you can buy the Sunbrella fabric and do it yourself?

http://seattlefabrics.com/sunbrella_frameset.html

and for our friends in the far north:

http://justmakeit.com/fabrics/marine/sunbrella.html

Bunches,

Celene 'Home Ec 101'

Tomahawk
01-25-2003, 10:48 PM
Catch - "Taylor Made" in Gloversville, NY makes one specifically for the Donzi 22 Classic. I got mine through the local West Marine store.

sandwiches_time
03-05-2004, 07:28 PM
I work for Taylor Made and am willing to help anyone in the Tampa Bay area. We specialize in custom covers, or we can go the cheaper, generic cover route.

email me at: csemach@taylormarine.com

cigarette30
03-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Does anyone know of a cover provider that makes one that goes to the waterline. Contacting the other "post" names, thiers only goes slightly below the rub rail, not any protection for dark sides. The other option is a true custom cover, I have contracted these before (local) , $1,200 - $1,800. Thanks

fasttrucker
03-07-2004, 05:46 PM
I used boatcoversdirect.com, less money works well for me.

KRAVEN
03-08-2004, 12:36 PM
I had a custom sumbrella cover made in Algonac Mich by Canvas Concepts.It covers from the boot stripe up.They even made 2 openings for the thru hulls so that 90% of the transom is covered.All rub points reinfoced on inside of cover and double stiched.2001 price $800.00. :yes: 18ft.classic

TBroccoli
03-10-2004, 03:59 PM
undefinedundefinedundefined
Does anyone know of a cover provider that makes one that goes to the waterline. Contacting the other "post" names, thiers only goes slightly below the rub rail, not any protection for dark sides. The other option is a true custom cover, I have contracted these before (local) , $1,200 - $1,800. Thanks

If you find a cover that covers the sides, please let me know. Thanks

cigarette30
03-10-2004, 07:12 PM
I have contacted everyone that has been mentioned, they all go slightly below the rub rail. I have had severial made locally, and that appears to be my only option with the 04. I will be happy to let you know the new quote, hope to have it measured within the new few weeks. The dealer is still completing a few aftermarket upgrades, then I will deliever to the canvas shop. A full "sunbrella" cover will keep a boat perfect for years.

Murphy
03-10-2004, 07:26 PM
I had mine made by a company here in Illinois called Brumleve Canvas. Their specialty is soft covers for 18-wheelers, commercial awnings, and boat covers. They custom made one out of the same material they use to cover semi loads. I trailered 2000 miles last summer and the thing still looks new. It comes down 14" all around and has a hem rope. When you pull on the loop at the bow, it tightens up all around like a sweatshirt hood. Then you tie down to the trailer. 100% waterproof. I'd be happy to post pictures if you like. My total cost with vents and poles was $500. If you think the one for my 86 C22 will fit yours I could have another one made just like it for you. For that matter, they could crank these things out if others wanted one as well.

Good luck.

Murph

cigarette30
03-10-2004, 07:39 PM
Murph,

Sure appreciate the offer, but I believe it is very important to cover the entire hull side. The dark hulls (blue/red) will fade over time, and with 8"-12" of exposed, it will show. In addition, the "sunbrella" is one of the best, it breathes, and has little chafing problems, does not fade, and lasts fairly well.

Murphy
03-10-2004, 09:44 PM
No problem. I have a dark blue hull but never store the boat outside for more than a day or two. The more protection against the elements the better. Be sure to have your fabricator put a couple of vents in. I went with two support pole/vents, one right behind the windshield and one right in front of the back seat. The cover sheds water well and travels great. Good luck with your project.

Murph

TBroccoli
03-11-2004, 07:17 AM
I had mine made by a company here in Illinois called Brumleve Canvas. Their specialty is soft covers for 18-wheelers, commercial awnings, and boat covers. They custom made one out of the same material they use to cover semi loads. I trailered 2000 miles last summer and the thing still looks new. It comes down 14" all around and has a hem rope. When you pull on the loop at the bow, it tightens up all around like a sweatshirt hood. Then you tie down to the trailer. 100% waterproof. I'd be happy to post pictures if you like. My total cost with vents and poles was $500. If you think the one for my 86 C22 will fit yours I could have another one made just like it for you. For that matter, they could crank these things out if others wanted one as well.

Good luck.

Murph

Thanks for the info Murph. Pics would be nice anyway. Cig30 has a good point. My 1996 Classic 22 was awgripped in the Fall of 2002 by its previous owner. He told me the shine from a fresh waxing would fade 3 weeks later. I'm gonna try to protect the dark sides as best as possible. A long cover would be great.