PDA

View Full Version : Alpha SS ?

Sam
09-22-2002, 05:51 PM
Beyond my search for a good clean unit I am still trying to figure out what really makes them tick. By that I mean where do they get their punch from. I have a feeling that it is not any one thing but several combined. Like a higher X dimension and an aerodynamic shape but what about the gear ratio, was there a standard set up. If anyone can pass on any info or your personal experience I sure would appreciate it.

Sam

Forrest
09-23-2002, 02:29 PM
No secrets with the SS. 2-3/4" higher X and CLE (crescent leading edge) lower unit - nothing else. My SS runs standard 1.5:1 gearing, but you can put anything you want in them. They came stock from the factory with 1.33:1 gears. I think GeneD runs something around a 1.8:1 in his.

KMLFAMILY
09-23-2002, 03:55 PM
WWW.STERNDRIVES.COM (http://WWW.STERNDRIVES.COM) also might provide some insight.

GeneD
09-24-2002, 07:16 AM
Dudes,
I am still 1.50 on the top end. I now have the 2.5 outboard lower which is supposed to be 1.68? Could be the 1.8 something. Don't know for certain. All I do know is that after the rebuild I had to run a bigger prop. Someone recently told me 3" shorter. I've never measured it.

Rootsy
09-24-2002, 11:44 AM
Forrest,

how does your 16 w/ the SS compare to those without? As far as ride, stability, trim and horsepower required to achieve your speeds? You did some hull modifications also didn't you?

just another inquiring mind...

Jamie

Forrest
09-24-2002, 03:26 PM
Jamie

The SS completely transforms the 16 over the regular Alpha drive - better handling, better ride, more stability, and better top end. I can't say enough! The main reason for the great overall improvment is from the raised X-dimension. The stock Alpha is just too deep in the water on the 16 Donzi.

Sam
09-24-2002, 06:32 PM
Forrest, I know you don't have to trim the SS as much as the std Alpha to get max performance. My question is is there a point when you get chine walk with the SS. This problem seems to be one of the main issues that holds Jamie and I back from reaching our max performance. Your opinion ?

THX
Sam

Greg K
09-25-2002, 07:40 AM
Sam & Jamie,

This stern jack is soemthing you should look into..
Land & Sea (http://www.land-and-sea.com/marine/stern-jack/sternjack.htm)

Forrest
09-25-2002, 03:22 PM
Sam, yes chine walking is very much reduce with the SS. As the prop is raised closer to the surface, prop torque of the boat seems to be reduced. Also, I found that a cleaver prop helps reduce the chine walking created by prop torque as well. The Alpha SS and a cleaver prop works very well on the 16. I will be trying a 22p Hydromotive 4-blade on my SS as soon as Isadore is gone.

. . . and if I hear one more person tell me in their whining little voice that "we need the rain", I'm goin' to kick the pure livin'. . . well anyway, when the rain stops I hope to do some prop testing and I'll let you guys know the results.

Sam
09-25-2002, 03:36 PM
Forrest, thanks for the feed back on the chine walk. I tried Jamie's 23" cleaver out a couple of weeks ago and liked what I saw. I didn't get to spend a lot of time with it but it did give me my best top end run ever.

Sam

Sam
09-25-2002, 03:45 PM
Dork, I checked out the site and called the factory as well. They were very open and up front with all their published and non published information. I really need to discuss this with all my Donzi buds to get their thoughts on this product. One thing that really sets Land & Sea appart from the other high performance products is they put their money where their mouth is. If you do not see a 10% gain in your top end they will refund you the selling price of the unit. Anyway thanks for the lead and let you know what happens.

Sam