PDA

View Full Version : Minx guru's inside please..

BUIZILLA
04-25-2003, 10:18 PM
Arrrright..

I just spent the last 5 hours cleaning the Minx LE I bought. Pretty darn cool boat, if I say so myself. I got plans for this puppy...

I really like the neato warning lights under the gauges, did all Minx's use this dash?, or just the LE model?

Got some serious questions..

1) fuel capacity? heck if I know what it is...is there a plate or decal where I can find the info?
2) fuel sender is D.O.A., so who and where for this item? fuel gauge is VDO.
3) rubrail appears to be solid aluminum, I thought they were all SS? has anybody replaced it in all white powdercoated aluminum frame with white vinyl insert?
4) factory VDO dash panel has the usual warp to it...anybody replaced it with something else? or just used more screws to keep it flat?
5) anybody build a forward bulkhead/silencer panel for the engine room? if so, pic's please !!
6) where did Donzi put the bilge pump? UNDER the engine maybe? I haven't found it yet, even by the noise method.. and no, it obviously doesn't work either...
7) let's talk about the funky battery hold down studs thru the floor in the under rear seat area? who and where for the CORRECT hold down bracket?
8) winshield has funky fastener shields that the screws go THROUGH. I need 1 of these shields, any idea's where?

Sorry for all the questions..

Jim

434, what 434 ??

olredalert
04-26-2003, 12:19 AM
Hey Jim,

------At this late hour I will at least answer one of your ?s.All DONZI rubrails I ever saw were aluminum.I did my El Pescador in stainless and I can tell you that it is a bitcx.You have to heat it up to go around corners.That blues the stainless and then you have to sand and polish the offended area.I know you have polished stainless at least once and already know that it aint easy,so why would you think that the guys over on 188th st. would do it the hard way?Nope,it wasnt in thier job description.The aluminum is so easy to install that you can replace pieces in short order with no problem at all...........Bill S..........ol red!

BUIZILLA
04-26-2003, 07:27 AM
MadPoodle:
Off to listen to a da all dayWhat's a *da* ?? wink I thought his name was Juan?

Okay, 40 gallons and I NEED a new aluminum rubrail, we're getting somewhere now, cool...

Now it's outside to ponder the other stuff..

Thanx guys..

J

80* water temp today...S P L A S H

KMLFAMILY
04-26-2003, 12:34 PM
1- Fuel capacity,yes catalogue shows 40 gal.
2-Fuel sender,Does the Minx have a cooler compartment in the floor?If so remove cover and you will see an access cover to the sender there.
3-Rubrail- Taco brushed aluminumhttp://www.tacometals.com/marine/index.html
6- Bilge pump under motor,ck. float switch.
7-Battery hold down-Correct hold down is a plastic battery cover(kinda like a box with one side open) that the studs go through then secures with wingnuts.
Try to keep her authentic.(It"s special)

BUIZILLA
04-26-2003, 10:53 PM
I took care of 1,2,4,6,& 8 today, as well as the engine room light, and chart lighter needing repairs/replaced.

Also found, and FIXED, a potential explosion hazard with the fuel tank pickup tube leaking where the SS elbow screws into the tank itself !! eek! eek! I filled the tank last night, and there was a STRONG fuel smell in the bilge this morning..

I went to 3 marine stores today and I can't seem to find the battery hold down I need.

Any idea's for purchasing the ORIGINAL style battery hold down where the battery is under the rear seat? Or am I in for a custom made deal?

Early Sunday SPLASH coming right up!

J

KMLFAMILY
04-27-2003, 05:19 AM
BUIZILLA:
I took care of 1,2,4,6,& 8 today, as well as the engine room light, and chart lighter needing repairs/replaced.

Also found, and FIXED, a potential explosion hazard with the fuel tank pickup tube leaking where the SS elbow screws into the tank itself !! eek! eek! I filled the tank last night, and there was a STRONG fuel smell in the bilge this morning..
J Did you know there is a ball&spring(anti-syphon) in the fitting that screws into elbow .Some thing to be aware of if you ever have a fuel restriction problem.(small passage way)
I wish i had a digital to show you the battery cover/hold down.
What did you find for #8 ?
Have fun! Take pic"s if possible :cool:

BUIZILLA
04-27-2003, 06:45 AM
I did NOT know about a ball in the brass adapter fitting.. hmm, gonna check that..

for #8 i just found a SS washer and screw, the orignal is black, so I either change them all to match, or let it go as-is..i'll look for all new black hardware...doubt i'll find it.

thanx, J

BUIZILLA
04-27-2003, 05:08 PM
Well Ken, your way to close to my karma..

boat ran fantastic for 4 1/2 hours straight, never shut it off, down to Ocean Reef, Angelfish Creek and back oceanside, and ALL over the bay..so I decide to go outside again to the shipping lanes thru Stiltsville, fuel gauge shows over 1/2 tank on both the tank gauge and the dash, plenty of time left, I stopped and checked both to be sure, boat races here we come... :D

BAD move.. :rolleyes:

cruising along ever so gleefully, tabs set, drive out, wave top to wave top...about a mile offshore the engine quits, kaput, directly south east of Gov Cut range marker... eek!

GRRRGGGHHHHHHHHH :mad: :mad:

3 tries and the engine starts, cool, temper calmed down.....idle slowly to first yacht I see offshore by Fisher Island...Waverunner attached....conned guy to tow me to Crandon dock....guy says no problem...glub, glub,...remove fuel p/u tube at dock....some fuel in tank.....takes 27 gallons, should have had 13 left right???, or does it hold MUCH less than 40??...back into bay, cellphone at the ready for Sea Tow....make it back to Matheson perfectly...get home....remove ball fitting...I can BARELY blow thru the damn thing, much less SUCK thru it...
Whats up with this thing and why did it die with PLENTY of fuel left?

J

KMLFAMILY
04-27-2003, 06:36 PM
Geez Jim,I hope i didn"t jinx you.I only mentioned it because i had one partially clog on me and i didn"t know it was in there.Drove me silly for a little while.Take a small punch and knock out the bushing/spring/ball and inspect.Clean & re-assemble.I would also r&r fuel filter.Another tip for rough water.Put a small plastic cable tie around coil wire boot.
It takes a while to work out the bug"s on old boat.Be patient and enjoy.Don"t forget also the fuel gauge reading is going to change with the plane of the boat.

BUIZILLA
04-27-2003, 06:57 PM
No jinx Ken,,, just my luck..it still had 13 gallons...

The valve has a stop bushing, and it appears it was pushed WAY too far into the brass adapter, restricting the ball *travel*, and requiring substantial vacuum from the fuel pump to pull fuel through it.. maybe the original fuel pump is weak also, and this is a clue?? One new fuel pump, and sender, coming up. Everything is 100% original, unmolested. This valve problem has definately been there since new.

I set the bushing flush with the end of the adapter, and I can suck and blow thru it with ease now, and it holds firm in the opposite direction. Substantial improvement.

Fuel filter was new this week.

It turns up 4300 with a 23 Mirage, I thought it should me higher...

thanx, J

I am thrilled with the boat.

MR MAGOO
04-30-2003, 02:50 AM
Hi Jim,

I`m glad you are happy with the boat. It was quite a trip! (I towed the boat from NH to Miami)

Got back home Sunday night, the traffic was horrible, 37 hrs to get back to Maine.

Have fun with your new toy.

Kurt.

BUIZILLA
04-30-2003, 07:27 AM
Kurt, many thanx for your efforts. Without a doubt, you saved the day for me...

J

knee deep
05-02-2003, 06:04 AM
The fuel system on an old boat is a pain. I did the easy thing, mine ran on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, plugged up every other day. When we yanked the tank it had 6" of sludge in the bottom of it. The solution is just like you say, new everything from tank to fuel pump. I also installed a big ass fuel water separator and tried a Holley high output fuel pump but it would not fit between the motor and the stringer so back to the original one. By the time I got done I replaced 90% of the boat, but........it will be ready shortly!