PDA

View Full Version : Lake George has been open!

Air 22
04-25-2003, 09:24 PM
We need an official report from FAST EDDIE but my brother who lives in LG and hikes Pilot Knob regularly.. say's the lake has been open for a few weeks :D ...Incredible considering how cold the winter was this year. Careful though..lots of debris hidden and I don't believe the navigation and hazard bouy's are in yet! eek! "The QUEEN of American Lakes" awaits the 1st rumble of the Classics :D ...can't wait for the Dust-Off in JUNE.

FASTEDDIE
04-26-2003, 06:06 AM
Ice out at Lake George was April 19th and it was painful this year. Ice was 38" inch thick at maximum and when it went out it was about 5 to 6" thick , it took out many expensive docks. 40 mile an hour winds blew the ice chunks around crushing many docks. All the docks were destroyed at the Lake George Club and the Town of Lake George lost all their public docks at the southern end of the Lake. As of 4/27/03 no navigational buoys are installed yet but NYS ENCON assures me that next week that will be a priority. Their are large pieces of docks dangerously floating around so early boaters be aware.My south dock had a middle crib crushed and I was quoted four thousand dollars to fix it. OUCH!

Air 22
04-26-2003, 07:40 AM
Ed...

I have a good guy who builds/re-build docks here on Pilot Knob. wink Let me know if you need anything..
Dwight

ToonaFish
04-26-2003, 10:41 AM
This is wild... I always thought that the ice just sort of melted all away. Now I understand what the Winnie guys mean when they say they are waiting to put their docks out. This sounds like something that would happen at the North Pole... just how far north are you? :D

Bunches,

Celene 'only likes ice in her tea'

Silver Streak
04-26-2003, 11:22 AM
...where the only thing we have to worry about is a nice soft, slow moving manatee.. . And sometimes a boatload of refugees and of course the occasional bale of silly smokeā€¦

Rick

boldts
04-26-2003, 05:22 PM
Bigass logs at KY.... Just one of the reasons we've moved the date back a few weeks. Hope to eliminate that obsticle this year :) At least they are BIG so you can see them wink

daboys
05-02-2003, 10:23 AM
This is what early season boating on Lake George looks like - I think I was on eof the first 50 on the lake based on traffic and feedback from the marina. http://www.donzi.net/photos/sallen01.jpg

BRIAN73
05-02-2003, 11:41 AM
EDDIE,

We are in the same boat. Assembly point took a good hit. If I remember correctly, the wind picked up and the ice shifted and headed to shore at around 6-7mph. All we could do was watch and hope for the best.

Our north crib was pushed over about 5 feet. It's to dangerous to put the X-18 in the middle slip until it's fixed.

I can't catch a break.

The boat is done, But now I don't have a dock to tie it to!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian

PLAYING THE LOTTERY TONIGHT

Cuda
05-02-2003, 08:04 PM
MadPoodle:
.. I'm stickng to boating here where the only thing we have to worry about is a nice soft, slow moving manatee.. :D Don't forget the lobster and crab traps too!