PDA

View Full Version : Happiness is never having to winteriz....Oops

Donzi Blackhawk
01-23-2003, 05:11 PM
Go ahead,... laugh it up,... I'll wait.

The temp is going down to 27 tonight here in Sarasota. I looked at the Blackhawk, then at my wallet and decided to pull the engine drain plugs. I would rather sleep well than find out the weather man was wrong and the temp actually dropped further than 27.

Damn its getting cold! Thin blood is a drag. Oh well, time to get the fireplace going and snuggle up to Donzi Kathleen along with a glass of wine.

Take care and stay warm.

Bryant

abelchinewalker
01-23-2003, 05:49 PM
I'm with Bryant, this weather sucks. I've got the heat on and the fireplace roaring. Paul Delagatto (Fox Weatherman) says that temperatures are going to dip lower than they have in over 7 years. I hope he is wrong.

Donnie

Greg Maier
01-23-2003, 06:07 PM
You winers are actually making me cry because I'm laughing so hard. All winter you send us pictures of you frolicking in the warm weather, rubbing it in, etc, etc, now it is time to pay up. Really, winterizing your boat in the cold isn't that tough. Hell, I spent last weekend installing SM exhaust with the temp in the upper 20's, and that takes longer than winterizing. It really isn't that cold when you are laying down in the engine compartment. wink

Ranman
01-23-2003, 07:06 PM
I wouldn't go through all the hassle for one night below 32. It has to be below freezing for a while before the water in the engine willl freeze and pop a plug. Take a 100W light bulb in a trouble light fixture and stick it in the engine compartment. It will keep the area warm enough for the water to not freeze. You're only talking about 8 - 12 hours tops.

mattyboy
01-23-2003, 07:55 PM
do what we northerners do go get a bottle of good irish whiskey, take it out to the boat and pour it down your throat then hug your engine block and keep it warm wink :D :D

fool with Mattyboy next time I'll send snow and ice eek! :D

hey Poodle where are the witty come backs did did the words freeze on your lips, or are u to busy shevering :p wink

Mattyboy
properly winterized, only 7 degrees of seperation from poodle

Greg Maier
01-23-2003, 08:09 PM
Where is Poodle you ask? He is probably outside winterizing his boat ! :D

Ed Donnelly
01-23-2003, 08:40 PM
Just think about how much money you are saving on for your boat and tow vehicle. Now multiply that times 5 more months and you will see why us northerners seem to be richer...Ed

mattyboy
01-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Scott,
LOL ,
send it to Marge Veth ( my MOM) on Hutchinson island Fla. she'll sign it, talked to her last night she said I could have stayed home for this weather

well it looks like Scott's fingers don't have frostbite yet!!

Matt

smoothie
01-23-2003, 09:06 PM
I love it :D What goes around comes around,Hey maybe if you sunshine state folks are lucky you can do this (http://www.donzi.net/photos/100-0021_MVI.AVI) in the next few days.enjoy :p

CDMA
01-23-2003, 09:34 PM
Poodle.... I can head home right now...complete with your outboard :)

Chris

Dalelama
01-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Ya'll laugh your ass off... just remember...

It's still a whole lot warmer HERE, than where YOU are!!!!!! cistineb :D

Donzi Blackhawk
01-23-2003, 10:24 PM
Hey Chris,

When was the last time you looked in the back of your truck? I snatched Poodles outboard two days ago and sent it to Miami.

Seems to me that the weather in Florida was always nice, now it only cools off for the weekend, right when you want to go out on the boat.

Bryant

Cuda
01-23-2003, 11:08 PM
I too was worried about the freeze tonight. Both of my I/O boats are closed cooling with antifreeze, but I wondered about any other water in the system. It's only supposed to be below freezing for 3 to 4 hours. I keep a dark blue full cover over the boat, and I figure the sun warmed it up today, and if I leave the cover on, it will help keep the heat in. I heard it was going to be the coldest night in 12 years. :mad:

ZF-Mac
01-24-2003, 08:01 AM
30 last nite at my house on Merritt Island. I'm thinking of moving back to Lauderdale...

boldts
01-24-2003, 08:32 AM
Sorry about the transplant of cold weather to the South. We had a balmy 6 degrees here last night. Been snowing over night every day this week!

Now for something you Southern folk can have a laugh at. Being a Buckeye fan and all, when Coke put out a special 6 pack with Ohio State National Champions on it, I had to have one. Problem is, I forgot to take it out of the truck last night and yep you guessed it, the truck is now full of Coke snow from when the cans exploded. Man does that BITE!

Off to the help yourself car wash tonight after work with spot remover in hand. Has Mike Miller's job been filled in Sarasota yet? :)

jdsdls
01-24-2003, 09:02 AM
hell I be happy with 27 up here it has not got out of the teens in about a week.

Marlin275
01-24-2003, 09:58 AM
I heard that 26 degrees for 6 hours will crack the block?
Al Joker, er Al Roker said Miami set a record low of 27 degrees today, Tampa was 17.

OceanCommotion
01-24-2003, 10:06 AM
Donzi Blackhawk:
Go ahead,... laugh it up,... I'll wait.

The temp is going down to 27 tonight here in Sarasota. Down to 27 Degrees? That's a shame! Hell, I'd be sitting outside in a slingshot soaking up the rays if the weather was that warm up here! It's 12 degrees with bright sun and no clouds right now.

Here's a blurb from my weather report today:

* Lots of sunshine. Cold. Wind chills may approach -15F. High 22F. Winds NW at 15 to 25 mph

Dalelama
01-24-2003, 03:23 PM
There is one, and ONLY one positive thing about these infrequent articblasts we recieve here in Paradise....

SURF'S UP!!!!! :D

Overhead glass on S Miami Beach....
2X overhead swell in Palm Beach County...

It's goin' off... water warm... air FREEZING!

Now if only the boat was running... there's a few reefs offshore that are epic on these occasions... and NOBODY else out!

Barry Phillips
01-24-2003, 03:28 PM
Where I store my Classic 18 on the Great Sacandaga Lake 42 miles southwest of Lake George NY, it dipped to -21. I still can't believe it, but Weather.com says it's so. Lake George and Saratoga Springs got some the same. I hope that -50 antifreeze is doing it's job. burrrrrrrrr.

SO-SLO

Forrest
01-24-2003, 06:15 PM
Drained everything. It got down below 10-degrees last night in the Florida Panhandle. Cold as @#$%! Everything was frozen this morning . . . and they're calling for the same tonight and possible snow on Sunday. Hay, I thought that I moved to Florida to get away from this cold stuff!

clayman
01-24-2003, 06:26 PM
I'm trying the light bulb in the engine compartment thing, hope it works.

Looped
01-24-2003, 09:53 PM
I was up at Killington, VT for the past few days and when I left this morning at 8:00am it read –9 (this was the warmest day). I shot down to Bertramboy’s house later in the morning in CT and it was a tropical 21 degs.

What am I doing up here????? cussball

Craig

Marlin275
01-25-2003, 12:47 PM
I bought my Donzi in February down in St Augustine Florida two years ago and sure it had not been winterized for my trip back to New York. My uncle told me about the light bulb trick. Worked great for me! I put two 75 watt bulbs in the engine compartment and a thermometer on the block. With a good canvas tarp over it all to keep it snug. Every night below freezing I'd snap that on and it works great. Just too much checking for burned out bulbs. Stayed 'bout 45 degrees all the time in there.

BillR
01-26-2003, 08:13 AM
It must take a really long cold snap for things to freeze. It has been COLD here. 14 at night and a hi of 24 - 32 for over a week. I figured everything in my boat was frozen. (it is winterized).
I went down to do some things on the boat, and to my amazment, nothing was frozen. I had cleaners, sun tan stuff, and other things that were fine. Another guy pulled his boat out and the water in his bilge was a little slushy, but 99% liquid which he drained. Other people came down that did not winterize at all, and so far no problems.
The boat is in a dry storage facility, but there is no heat and the 4 doors are open from 8 to 5. Don't know if that makes a difference or not?!!?!

Again just FYI!!

Danny
01-27-2003, 11:39 AM
Saturday night I had the cover off the 16 in the garage to check the throttle mechanism so I can start working on a foot throttle and hand throttle combo. Things were definetly chilly.
It went -32 C last night here which is -26F. Coldest night yet but been close to -20C for about a week.

So cold I saw a dog frozen to a fire hydrant!!

Danny

Donzi Blackhawk
01-27-2003, 04:52 PM
Hey Scott,

I called a good friend down in Naples, he didn't have a clue as to how to help us out. He kept saying something about sun tan lotion. Anyway, I also searched some old threads about winterizing and summerizing and all I could find was something called "Happiness is never having to winteriz.....Oops!" The last post said something about sun tan lotion.

I'll get back to you when I find out more info. Until then, keep your iced tea glass full.

Bryant

Formula Jr
01-27-2003, 08:21 PM
Haven't used the heating system in the house for two weeks.

Today it was sooooooooo hot, I just had to take my shirt off. Flowers blooming, trees are budding.

He heheheheheheheh... :D

http://www.epud.net/~owen/hot.jpg