PDA

View Full Version : Depth Gauge Help

Dave98
01-21-2003, 05:24 PM
This is something that is probably known to everyone that is running a stepped hull but here goes...

Are you having trouble getting your depth gauge to work after about 5 mph? I was told once that because of the stepped hull introducing "dirty water" to the transducer, it would never work.

I didn't believe them....gotta see it right? So I have moved the transducer all over the place with little or no improvement.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I talked with a Donzi dealer in Orlando and he explained the "not clean water" theory to me. He also said "What are you doing running in water that you do know what is under you (or something like that).

Thanks as always for the help!

Dave

MOP
01-21-2003, 05:36 PM
Yup this seems to be a problem that is showing up alot. You need to mount the transducer ahead of the step, this is a problem on alot of boats that go fast as the forward sections run more out of the water than in. We have managed on a few to find a spot by the keel just behind the tank. If you don't have acess through the floor it could be a real job. On slower hulls the Pod type transom mount works fairly good. Hope you come up with a decent solution and post it to help others.

Cheetah
01-23-2003, 10:33 AM
I have a 3250LXC and have had depth finder problems since I purchased it in 97. Problems are identical and I do not have a stepped hull. The factory Lorwance through the hull puck is junk. I purchased a Fiara through the hull system last year that matches the SS guages exact. Fiara just introduced them last year.

abelchinewalker
01-23-2003, 11:27 AM
Stepped bottoms will wreak havoc on your depth finders accuracy at any speed above a slow idle. We found that the transom mount transducers work better than any other 'shoot thru the hull' transducer. But again much over a slow idle and your on your own.
Good luck in your quest,

Donnie