PDA

View Full Version : Problem Starting

florida gator
09-22-2002, 01:52 PM
I am not very mechanical, so I hope I am not overlooking anything obvious.
I have a 5.7 litre OMC, I went out to start it this morning and it only makes a single click noise. I have charged the batteries. I have checked connections at the battery and starter. I can not think of anything else that may need to be checked. Started fine last time I had it out approx. 3 weeks ago.

Tidbart
09-22-2002, 02:20 PM
With limited info, it could be the starter. Sounds as though the solenoid is clicking in but the starter isn't engaging. Try and old trick, take a hammer and give the starter a couple of whacks. Then see if she will turn over.
If it does, change the starter. If it doesn't, keep looking.

Bob

RickR
09-22-2002, 04:42 PM
Find thd click. It should be your starter solonoid (big red wire from battery goes to it)
Try tapping it with the plastic end of a screwdriver.

I would not hit the starter with a hammer (sorry Tidbert) it has magnets in it that are easily broken.

Fish boy
09-23-2002, 05:22 AM
I agree,it sounds like the starter-try tapping on it. One additional thought, maybe your battery is shot, or does not have water in it. if you can get the caps off, check the water level. If low, add distlled water. I know you mentioned you checked the cables, but you might want to take the cables off, clean the terminal posts with a wire brush, and re-tighten. Good luck.

Formula Jr
09-23-2002, 05:34 AM
Turn the engine alittle by hand and try again.

Tidbart
09-23-2002, 07:34 AM
Sorry, maybe I should have rephrased it. By no means did I mean to destroy the starter or solenoid by beating it to death with a hammer. I should have use a word such as tap. I stand corrected.
:(

Bob

MOP
09-23-2002, 11:53 AM
I've been smacking boat starters for 40 some odd years, the best thing to hit them with is a dead blow hammer. Gives them a good solid but not damaging blow. But most of the time you still need to pull the starter to either lube or rebuild it. Fresh or salt most starter problems seem to be water related.

Ranman
09-23-2002, 12:08 PM
Check your cables at BOTH ends. Make sure the battery ends are on tight. Also make sure the wire to the solenoid is tight along with the negative cable that ties to the engine block. A loose wire will make the click, but does not have enough contact to carry the required current. Also, I would try a different battery (known good), unless you are absolutly sure there is a good charge in the one you are using. My bet is either the cables or the battery. Let us know what you come up with.

florida gator
09-23-2002, 01:49 PM
Thanks for all of the advise. The popular opinion seems to be starter/soelinoide related. I have tried a new battery, made sure the wires were tight & not corroded at both ends and tried jumping it off. I will try to go by the marina this afternoon to turn the engine by hand. If this does not work, I have made arrangements with Sea Tow (Thank God for them)to transport to mechanic later this week. I will keep you all posted.

Ranman
09-23-2002, 01:57 PM
I need to stop gambling. I lose too much.

florida gator
09-23-2002, 08:16 PM
Don't give up gambling just yet Ranman. :o As I tried some of the suggestions posted here, I noticed behind the engine a ground wire had fallen into the bilge area. Guess what happened when I attached it? Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I am really getting hooked on this sight. cool!

Ranman
09-23-2002, 08:27 PM
Glad to hear you found it.

"I'm in da money"