PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Flappers

jwright
04-24-2003, 11:45 AM
Hi everyone...

I am doing some exhaust work on my GT-21. I am curious if people think exhaust flappers are important. I have Stainless Marine manifolds with custom risers so they have a nice amount of lift above the water line. I also have GIL clamp on mufflers with lots of baffles. I have to change exhaust tips and I have a used set with internal flappers in fair condition. I am also concerned if the tips have enough extension for the mufflers to grab onto (1 1/2") but that is another story...
I am thinking they good enough to stop a large surge of water, but I have to believe the riser and muffler help too. As I looked at exhause tips I realized many tips do not have flappers. Who uses the tips without flappers?
Am I being overly concerned? My exhaust tips are rigth at the water line... thanks in advance for all your replies!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-24-2003, 04:53 PM
Do a search, I ask the same question in like January or maybe Dec 02.
We ended up with internals built into our Corsa's and run a Salsbury rubber flapper externally, they are OK in appearance IMHO, I just wanted the added protection of both.

But with mufflers you may not need it, when I removed my muff's they had no internal flapper.
My 2 cents.
Bryan

MOP
04-24-2003, 05:18 PM
I would not be without them, if you beach it and some one nukes you with a wake water can climb right up high tubes.

Greg
04-26-2003, 11:27 AM
My mechanic recommends some type of flapper set up, either internal or external. He said that it is not so much the surge when you slow down that causes problems. Its more like when you go into a restraunt and leave your boat tied to a public pier, thats when the wave action washes in there. Then you come out with a buzz and your boat hydrolocks and won't start.

jwright
04-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the replies, I looked up the old threads... good stuff