PDA

View Full Version : Ok, you vintage Donzi/Volvo owners...

JimG
01-21-2003, 12:08 PM
I have a question or two:

I've located a clean boat, with a Volvo outdrive, (1970). I can get the boat a great price, but there's a problem . The former owner told me that the "helmet" has a crack in it. Is this a part that's easily replaced? Readily available? Does the outdrive have to come off to replace it?

Also, this boat is not equipped with power trim/tilt. I know there are a lot of these vintage Donzis out there equipped like this. What's it like to drive without trim? (It doesn't bother me that much, BTW. I'm a straight inboard guy, so I'm not used to trim anyway..) But, how do these boats handle without it?

Thanks a ton for your help!

JimG :)

BRIAN73
01-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Jim

I have owned a Volvo equiped 16ft Donzi for 12 years. After that first ride you will surely forget about the lack of trim. I always ran the the 270 in the 2nd notch. That seemed to give a good hole shot and good top speed. This setup (In My Opinion) is the opitime of a vintage Donzi.

As far as the (helmet) goes. I believe it would be easier to take the transom plate off to replace that item. That would also give you an excuse to put new bearings and seals in the intermediate housing

Brian

Proud Volvo Owner

AVickers
01-21-2003, 05:12 PM
A cracked helmet is no big deal. Depending on there it's cracked, it can be welded or replaced. You don't have to remove the foot to replace it, but if you want to replace the bushings, u-joints, boot and/or yoke bushings and seals at the same time, you can remove the upper gear housing in about 15 minutes... There's a guy in South Houston who has helped me greatly when it came to procuring used Volvo parts.

All the old Volvos had tilt, but my guess is that the "clutch" (for lack of a better term) is shot. Used versions of these are getting difficult to find -- I don't know if they are rebuildable. Mine would lift the foot, but not hold it up during transport -- I finally found a used spring holder that worked like a champ. (I buggered up a skeg and prop before I figured this one out...)

As for the trim, you could retrofit w/ an Elephant Ear setup (270-T or 280T) and be fine. I looked at this for my old 18, but trim tabs would be easier, cheaper and accomplish better control in the longer run.

The problem w/ not having trim on the 18s is that they will porpoise badly when running in the third hole. The second hole isn't as bad, but the boat's not as fast when up and running... I hated the bumping around during transitions, so I sacrificed speed for comfort and left it in the second hole.

The other thing with the old Volvos is referred to as "torque steer." What it amounts to is paddlewheeling in that when the throttle is changed quickly up or down, the prop will shove the drive sideways and, as a result, the whole boat will jump sideways as well. It'll also give you a LOT of feedback at the helm. It's really quite a shock the first time you experience it. I got used to it, but would not let my wife or kid drive the boat -- it was vicious! Eventually I installed a hydraulic helm -- parts from Boat US -- and tamed that beast. When done, I'd let my wife and teenager drive it unattended. It's the ONE thing I did to my boat while I had it that I would do again in a heartbeat.

There are also some maintenance issues with the Volvo (U-Joints, intermediate shaft bearings, helmet and yoke bushings, etc.) but nothing like what you'll experience with an Alpha. All-in-all, I think it's the best drive they ever installed on the 16s and 18s (except maybe for the King Cobra/Big Blocks of the early 90s...and the Bravos that were offered with some engine setups on the late 18s).

The other thing about the Volvos is that almost any foot will fit w/ any intermediate and upper housing. If you don't like the 250 or 270 foot, you can bolt one on from a 280 (the 280 is the coolest looking one behind an old speedmaster...). I've seen 'em on the used market for less than $500 and they almost never break. There's a guy in San Antonio with a schoolbus full of old Volvo Drives -- some w/ crescent cones. I looked over 20 of them trying to find and Elephant Ear Setup.

Also, I've heard that they can handle upwards of 600 HP -- try that with an Alpha!

Other things to check on an older Donzi would be the coring on the deck for rot -- giant job to replace if it's rotted out -- check around the lifting eye for sponginess. And check the tank -- which corrodes, leaks and fills up with crud. A persistant gas fume smell is a givaway here...

Other than that, enjoy yourself! I wish I still had my old 18!

MOP
01-21-2003, 05:43 PM
Simply the 16 really does not need trim they ride bow high, The helmut is fairly easy to replace. Go for new its not that expensive and gives piece of mind. Keep you Burnz o Matic handy to heat the bolts.

JimG
01-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all your help! Looks like a done deal!

I'm going to be a Donzi owner! :D

JimG yippie

riverrat
01-21-2003, 08:56 PM
Jim COOL!! :D :D But, with all the money you guys have I'm just wondering why your not buying something newer? sounds like you will be working on her. be carefull with the older boats I know gas tanks,stringers & deck rott are issues.. just my 2 cents..
I know ya'lll want to ride & working on a boat on a nice weekend sucks..
good luck.

the rat eek!

knee deep
01-22-2003, 05:12 AM
I bought a '68 18 with a 351w and volvo 270T. it ran great but had conistent fuel problems. I intended to restore it from the get go. When I removed the deck it was real obvious it was time for a new fuel tank. There had to be at least 4" of crud in the tank. Also be careful of the wiring on an old boat, mine had everythng for 14 gauge to extension cord pieces butt connected together. I am going to upgrade the steering to hydraulic. Enjoy!

JimG
01-22-2003, 07:21 AM
Thanks guys!! I'll watch for those things.

'Rat, I need to find some of this money you were talking about!! :D

I am not looking for a new boat. (My primary boat is a 1979 model flybridge.) To me the appeal of a Donzi is in it's heritage. Sort of the water-borne equivalent of a Shelby Cobra. Purpose-built, exclusive in it's day, the sexiest thing available at any price. The boat I found is all original. Every nick, every ding, the faded gelcoat, was earned bringing a smile to the former owner's face. I don't mind a little work. (Hopefully I did enough homework on this one, that it won't be a full rebuild.) Find the Powerboat Magazine test on the 1970 Donzi 18 2+3. (It's on this board.) Read it. That's the boat I want!

I saw my first Donzi when I was about 13. Dad was racing a tunnel hull in the 1973 Galveston Marathon. Waiting in the pits, I see this low-slung sexy yellow and black boat grumbling past at idle. I could just make out the letters DONZI on it's flank. A young darkhaired guy was driving, his bikini-clad partner in the other seat. I tapped Dad's helmet, he leaned over and I hollered, "That's what I want!" He replied, "The boat or the girl?" I've never forgotten it. BTW: I've got the bikini-clad girl...

So, will I spend a little time under the hood? You bet! Will it be the fastest Donzi on the water. No way... That's not what I'm looking for. (Until Krakmeup gets a faster one, of course! :D ) It won't be the prettiest, or shiniest. But, it'll sure make me grin every time I look at it! I think that's what it's all about...

Thanks for all the good advice! This board is the BEST!

JimG

BillG
01-22-2003, 09:48 AM
I have been running a Volvo 200 and 250 drive on my 1966 2-3 for 31 years. The helmet is very easy to change. Buy a new one if you can. As for torque steer, I had it and when I installed a Volvo Ultra Prop it went away completely. Good luck with the boat.
Bill G

RH
01-22-2003, 10:08 PM
Jim, welcome to the Donzi Family! I too was bitten with the yellow 18 classic with black interior in my childhood days. It took about 29 years for me to realize the dream of owning a classic Donzi, but what color did I end up with? Blue! Mine is the Hornet model with the 270 Volvo. I have owned alot of boats and mostly inboards and this is my first Volvo. Aside from not having trim, I am very pleased with the drive. My boat has a Mercruiser Hydraulic power steering unit that was dealer installed when new in 1972. Very clean installation job, and makes the boat a true joy to drive. Post pictures of your new prize. This is a great group of friends who will bend over backwards with help tips on everything that you could ever imagine. Now get out and get Krakemup one to play with!
RH

tailwind
01-22-2003, 10:42 PM
Please do not worry with the OMC years! The 90 plus King Cobras in my opinion are built to last. period. They will handle up tp 460 hp on the output shaft, according to lit. The small block chevy 350 plus are what these drives are built around like a "glove". You will find alot of folks on this forum replacing their "MERC" alpha drives with "MERC" Bravo drives for the tune of perhaps ? $ 1,500.00. OMC parts are still available everywhere, dont be fooled by anyone!

Early DONZI years 90 -95 , expect a $ 5,000.00 depreciation (11K to 16K) Look around folks you willl certainly be amazed! Gona run mine tommorow despit the temps. - Any Questions?

JimG
01-23-2003, 12:50 PM
Thanks to all who replied!

RH, sounds like you landed a good one! We're working on Krakmeup. He's not far behind me!

Soon, we'll have quite a contingent of Donzi owners in the Houston area. To quote the Harbormaster, "Won't it be cool to have 4 classics running side by side past Landries, heading for Redfish!" We'll have to get CaptWK and Jefe to join us for a Redfish raft-up!

JimG

Team Jefe
01-23-2003, 01:35 PM
Hey we're in. I'll use The REVENGE as a pace boat.

Are you sure, its OK to been seen with a ZF :p

JEFE

boldts
01-24-2003, 10:23 AM
I owned a 1969 18 Classic with the 250 Volvo drive. Something I've not seen mentioned here yet is that this drive has an adjustable fin section above the prop where the exhaust exits on a Volvo with-out thru-hull. It requires a Allen wrench to loosen from the top. You'd be surprised how much torque steer you can eliminate with a simple adjustment! If your steering wheel is trying to turn right and you have to apply serious left hand input, move this fin (exhaust outlet) to the left. Only takes a small amount of movement. As long as you don't drop the Allen wrench, it can be done on the lake and you can see the changes in the steering as you make the adjustments.

I also bought a Michigan Wheel Stainless prop for mine because the Volvo Ultra is no longer available. Used to run her in the 3rd (furthest away from the transom) all the time with no porposing problems. My dad and I later added material to the ears and moved this hole out even further to help get the boat a little looser and faster. Again, no porposing problem and a boat that now would run over 50 with a small block Ford and no trim tabs.

One of the nicest compliments I ever received while I owned that Classic was from "Brownie" while at the Sarasota Owner's Rally. He simply said "Nice boat" My Classic had not been restored and showed the years, but the originality of the boat is what made her such a joy to own and many asked about the year of the boat on boating days. I also at the time had never met Brownie and only through this website had read his early racing adventures. Later at dinner, he was showing a photo albumn from these races and it finally clicked who the man on the dock was. The present came from the past and other than the stripe width and maybe the newer having a windscreen, you can't tell them apart!

Sorry all, didn't mean to ramble, but as much as I love our 22 Classic, I miss that 69, 18' h/m Classic. :)

BillG
01-24-2003, 02:14 PM
In case anyone is interested the Volvo Ultra is still available. Try www.marineparts.com (http://www.marineparts.com)

boldts
01-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Ooooops, sorry everyone, although I didn't find it listed on the site, if Bill says the Ultra is available, who am I to disagree. :) Maybe there was another magic prop for the Volvo drives that Brad Verd was looking for? I thought it was the Ultra. Poodle or Forest, help please? :D