PDA

View Full Version : Brand new 28ZX - Upgrades?

Chris-007
01-21-2003, 12:25 AM
First time post

Just purchased a brand new 2000 28ZX, heavily optioned, 350MPIs, k-planes, rear bolster seat (looks cool especially with reflection graphics), trim/drive indicators, selectable exhaust, etc.

Any no-brainer performance upgrade recommendations other than labbed props? I've heard K&N intakes mentioned. Other ideas for a 28ZX?

Just upgraded from a 1997 22ZX 7.4 that I enjoyed for 2 seasons at various Michigan spots including Higgins Lake (home port), Detroit River, Grand Traverse Bay, and other inland lakes. Interesting boat to learn on... 22 is for sale and is in exceptional shape if anyone is interested.

Hope to tackle a little of the the Great Lakes with the new 28. It would be great to see a Donzi event in Michigan.

Digger
01-21-2003, 06:32 AM
welcome aboard Chris! You're not alone up in Michigan, lots of great registry folks up there. Try the search function to see about upgrades, that is something you won't have trouble learning about here. Enjoy!

Ranman
01-21-2003, 07:56 AM
Hey Chris. Welcome to the board and congratulations on the new purchase.

For your boat, personally, I'd leave it alone. Twin 350MAGs will net you in the low to mid-70's. K&N's may be an OK addition, but there's not much else I'd do but enjoy it.

There are several of us who live in the Metro-Detroit area who get together in the summer for boating (and in the winter for dinner and drinks). Usually, we meet up on Lake St. Clair. There are also a few members who live a bit further outside of the Detroit area. There are usually several very informal events or weekends where the MI guys meet for boating and fun. Keep an eye on the Events page on this site Keep an eye out for these MI members:

Ranman (me) & Donzi Jenn (my Donzi babe)
Sam
Rootsy
Olredalert
KRAVEN
Blackhawk
Brad Lyon
Doug G
Doug Lovins
Goatee
Jwright
Sagbay32
Tony
Komikazee

mjpcowboy
01-21-2003, 08:10 AM
Hi Chris, you will love your new boat the 28 handles and looks great. K&N's will have some issues when you put them on without moving some wiring. Hey Signal 10 you may want to give him some specifics on what needs to be modified since you had the same issue. Best of luck and enjoy your boat.

Chris-007
01-21-2003, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the quick responses!

My wife Christine and I will look forward to meeting up and/or discussing events and ideas with you guys. One thing you gotta love about Donzi owners is they are the most generous and personable around.

If anyone has links to older threads or other 28ZX upgrade ideas please send them along.

Also, anyone that has much big water (Great Lakes) experience around Michigan? There's gotta be a hair rasing story or two that will keep me humble with the new 28.

Glad to be aboard...

Ranman
01-21-2003, 12:15 PM
Chris,

Was your 22ZX a stepped hull? If not, you may want to do a search here on stepped hulls as you do not drive them the same as a non-stepped boat. your 28ZX is a great boat, but you'll definatly want to get used to the ventilation from the steps under you.

Randy

Chris-007
01-21-2003, 03:30 PM
The 1997 22ZX was the last of the non-stepped hulls. It does 60 nicely. I'll be taking it easy for a while breaking in the new 28. Of course that flies in the face of my requests for upgrades now doesn't it...

Regards,

Chris

Shanghied Again
01-22-2003, 10:11 AM
Chris, Congradulations on your new 28ZX, Great boat, You really don't have to do to much to a stock 350/310hp she is almost at her peak at the hp and rpms they run at, K&N will not improve much of her performance on the 350s, You have more then enough air flow on the stock breathers. she will run 72mph an you can run 58-60 all day long, Becareful of the step hull it takes a little getting use to, When you go into a turn make sure you keep your trim at 1/4 up on the drive and your tabs are out. This will prevent your boat from stuffing. When you first take off you will need full trim as soon as you plain out trim the tabs out and bring your outdrive trim to 1/4 to 1/2 and you will be fine. Best of luck with her the 28ZX is one of the nicest ZXs made. :D

Chris-007
01-22-2003, 05:47 PM
Thanks to Digger, Ranman, Cowboy, and Shanghied Again for your responses.

Don't worry I'll take it easy for a while. I'm a quick learner (translation - I take advice from gentlemen who should know) and I'm a safety sticker, albeit I have a passion for speed, and thus I'm a Donzi owner.

Ranman, please put me and my wife Christine on your list of people to conatct when you are getting a group together. We would really appreciate the chance to be included. I'll watch for posts from the Michigan members that you suggested.

Regards,

SIGNAL 10
01-22-2003, 06:25 PM
Congrats Chris on your 28, I bought mine last year and love it! I cant compare it to any other boats as it was my first but Ive been with mjpcowboy at the Ozarks and can run in the rough stuff with his 33, he is just faster. I looked into K&N last fall and ordered the billet ones from CP Performance. I was told that I needed a z bolt which I bought but when I got them and tried to bolt them on they do not have as high of a flange as the stock flame arrestor. I contacted them and they did not have another option so I sent them back. I have looked long and hard for ones that will fit and a recent as two weeks ago contacted a couple of places to see if there was anything new on the market. I was told that K&N is going to be coming out with a flame arrestor that will fit my application sometime this spring. I have 5.7 EFI's in my boat and the one that it calls for on K&N's home page simply will not work for what ever reason. If you find anything out keep me in mind as that is one performance upgrade I would like to make too.

Chris-007
01-22-2003, 06:32 PM
Thanks Signal 10! I'll keep you in mind if I find a suitable option, and you do the same with me when you get word on the new spring lineup from K&N.

Do you run anything other than factory Mirage Plus 23 pitch? Difference with labbed 23s?

SIGNAL 10
01-22-2003, 06:37 PM
Chris- Late last fall I bought 24 pitch 4 blade hydromotive props that are labbed. I only was out twice with the boat after I got them so I cant really tell you alot yet. What I did notice was higher rpm and mid range was great. Top speed did not seem much different but both outtings were not ideal for top speed.

Shanghied Again
01-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Signal 10, becareful with the Hydromotive props on a step hull boat, They are known for stern lift to keep the nose down. great for a loose v-hull like a Velocity. but can stuff your nose on a tight turn.

Tony
01-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Randy...nice job on the list of MI members. Another example of why I nominate you as our Commodore! Although I haven't seen him post in a while, Chris Riley from the Les Cheneaux Islands area is another MI guy...even though it is the UP!

Chris-007
01-23-2003, 07:32 PM
Thanks again Signal and thanks Randy for adding to the Michigan member list.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-23-2003, 07:35 PM
Chris-007
Congrats, my only input is I ran a 350Mag for about 300 hours in my first Donzi, and I ran it, no mechanical problems what so ever. Great motor stock.

Best of luck.
Bryan

Chris-007
01-23-2003, 11:20 PM
Thanks Bryan...

Can't wait for spring.

fasttrucker
01-25-2003, 04:25 PM
I have a 28zx with a single 502mag.Its a 1998 it has a k+n filter,stainless marine exhaust+reprogramed ecu.Good luck with the upgrades everything cost lots of $$$.