PDA

View Full Version : Collectors- 1968 18' inboard

Fish boy
04-23-2003, 08:53 AM
Saw this on Ebay, and looked like a nice boat that needs a little TLC. I don't know how many of these were made, but I'm guessing not very many.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2412482149&category=31270

smoothie
04-23-2003, 09:16 AM
Heck get rid of the windshield and buff it out and someone is going to have a nice barrel back v-drive :cool:

olredalert
04-23-2003, 09:26 AM
-------An all red barrel-back V-drive.The only thing missing is the 427 Ford.Very cool boat.Windshield just adds to the allure for me.I know one of us will end up with this.
-------The stern shot of this 18 should,for ever,answer the question of which combo(Outdrive or V-drive)draws more.Man!That rudder is waaaaay down there.
-------Actually looks to be in fine shape,other than the normal red fading.Some compound could do wonders.The DONZI emblems even look nice!!!!......Bill S.....ol red!

BUIZILLA
04-23-2003, 09:35 AM
Eugene, Eugene...

WAKE UP !!!

back side of 10K should take it... trailer is dinghy material..

same color combo and windshield as Idaho boat ? coincidence?

J

that thing HAS to draw 40" ...

boldts
04-23-2003, 09:37 AM
Hey, how did you all see the pics? When I pull it up all I get is an X where the pic should be.

Had a friend from Fort Lauderdale that had one of these only green in color. when he was a kid, they ran it so hard that they beat the stringers out of it. Mr Aronow ended up building them a more civilized outdrive model. They had the 427 in theirs.

Eugene Nahemow
04-23-2003, 10:16 AM
Jim,
My new Donzi is on it's way out west as I type.
This is nice boat, but I would definately rather have a stern drive. I already have a v-drive.

My search is over for the moment. Now it's the search for pieces and parts.

Regards.

Dredgeking
04-23-2003, 10:22 AM
nice looking boat. i just emailed the seller asking for cockpit and engine pics. a stern drive should be faster than an outdrive, right?

CDMA
04-23-2003, 10:30 AM
eek! eek! eek!

Sooo cool...I just can't

Pearson this is you...

boldts
04-23-2003, 10:53 AM
Never mind guys. It appears to be the ole work you can't look problem. I'll have to wait until I get home tonight. :( :rolleyes: :(

Dredge, "a stern drive should be faster than an outdrive, right?"

I think you meant a sterndrive other wise known as an outdrive is faster than a V-Drive? Maybe so, but how many V-Drive 18' Classics do you see on the lake? :D

RickSE
04-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Hasn’t this boat been for sale before?

Dredgeking
04-23-2003, 11:23 AM
boldts, i had my terms mixed up. thanks for the heads up.

the v drive should be faster than a stern drive (outdrive)due to less drag, right? the big offshore boats run with shaft drives and rudders for less drag. just wondered if the same principal applied here.

JimG
04-23-2003, 11:28 AM
WWAAYYY cool! If that boat had been available, I'd own it! I love v-drives and inboards... :)
Not the fastest, but just so sweeet!

Craig
04-23-2003, 11:49 AM
Dredge,

Don't think decreased drag of just a shaft and prop of an inboard (vs an outdrive) makes up for the benefits of being able to trim the outdrive up. Inboards are basically usually slower cause their prop is at such a downward angle. Keeps the nose down and more boat in the water so, overall, "more drag". Great power taking off though.

Dredgeking
04-23-2003, 12:06 PM
thanks craig. makes sense. most shaft drives are trimmable. i didn't think of that.

McGary911
04-23-2003, 12:07 PM
I've always thought that V-drives are less efficient than a stern drive due to power loss at the V-drive itself and power loss in the transmission. I'm at work too, and cant view Ebay....ill check when i get home. Sounds cool.

oldLenny
04-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Couple of things, if the gas tank has been re-done, did the deck come off? or was it "modified" and what is with the forward decals? They don't seem right to me or at least I have never seen that configuration before...Looks like two small ones after the USA Flag.

boldts
04-23-2003, 10:31 PM
Wow, I like that 18 and I'm a blue and white color fan. The windshield looks like the Ski Sporter windshield and boy, you don't trailer that boat over a speed bump. A little wet sanding and wa-la, instant very rare, beautiful 18' Classic. That Donzi needs to be at AOTH III next month with a new owner!

Scott Pearson
04-24-2003, 05:58 AM
I already know of a 1967 427 V-Drive boat. I will trying to get it this summer....we will wait and see. The small block just isnt cool enough...but it is rare. Wonder if its Daytona Marine Powered????

(NJ)Scott

BUIZILLA
04-24-2003, 06:59 AM
sandbar? what sandbar....

J

MOP
04-24-2003, 07:28 AM
Talking about shaft angle, I have a very close buddy that put a pair of 502 about 425 horse carbed engines in a 31 bertram. His speed is limited due to the boat going into heavy bow steer. Once the boat gets flat it really nuts and he has to back off. I told him to go Arneson, but all he does is fish. He runs 26kts at 2400RPM so he is happy. He actually burns less fuel than the old motors did. So to that note there is a speed that shaft angle drives some boats over the hump into bow steer.