PDA

View Full Version : How much does a 22' Classic on a trailer weigh?

dockrocker
04-22-2003, 11:08 AM
Just pondering some options - anyone have a ballpark weight for a 22 Classic on a trailer?

Many thanks...

dockrocker
04-22-2003, 12:22 PM
Trying to determine if the wife's Mountaineer will pull a 22. Looks like it would be close... though it would only be the very occasional trip. Stupid me traded the pickup in on a new Jaguar - not so good for towing... :)

BUIZILLA
04-22-2003, 12:32 PM
PMREED pulls the hell out of his with a 4.7 Durango and 3.90 gears. If yours is a 4.6 w/3.73 gears it'll do it to. The gears are the secret.

J

DonzigoJR
04-22-2003, 01:21 PM
You should have no problems pulling the 22 with a mountaineer.. Those are similar to a explorer and I would think it could do it.

dockrocker
04-22-2003, 01:51 PM
She's only got the V6, but the only towing we'd do is when I bought the boat and *maybe* to a storage facility in the winter. We've always rack-stored our boats, it just is so much more convienent when you want to hit the water. From the driveway to the water in 30 minutes, no hassles with parking, etc. Of course, no ramp Olympics for entertainment, either, but we can still watch folks trying to back into the slips used for rack launching and retrieval :)

G - FORCE 88
04-22-2003, 03:04 PM
You will have no problem towing a 22 with a Mountainer. I have towed a 24 ft Center Fish boat witha 2 door sport Explorer. Plus I have pulled my 22 with my Girlfriends V-6 Jeep Liberty!! No Problems. I have a f150 for towing though. The jeep was 2 or 3 times.
Jon

Ranman
04-22-2003, 04:21 PM
dockrocker,

Have you wandered over here from OSO? You're in MI near LSC right? If so, there's several of us Donzi guys that go out on the lake quite often.

The mountaineer will do fine for a short pull here and there, don't sweat it. Now go get you a Donzi and get ready for spring. :D

dockrocker
04-23-2003, 01:17 PM
Ranman:
dockrocker,

Have you wandered over here from OSO? You're in MI near LSC right? If so, there's several of us Donzi guys that go out on the lake quite often.

The mountaineer will do fine for a short pull here and there, don't sweat it. Now go get you a Donzi and get ready for spring. :D Indeed! I'm hoping to shake a few things loose, job-wise, in the next month or so. If things come together, we'll should have the option to get on the water this year, rather than next. If that happens (lots of if's here), a 22' Donzi is on our short list for play boats.

We shall see.... I'm getting mighty sick of walking around Metro Beach, instead of cruising through on the water!

Jamesbon
04-25-2003, 09:33 AM
Don't sweat it! I used to pull my GT with a 4 cyl. 4wd Toyota, no problem, as long as I didn't need to go over 60 and the road was flat eek!

Air 22
04-25-2003, 09:15 PM
My 22'Classic steps in at 3400lbs DRY... well 3200 now that rid her of the stock manifolds and risers :D Steel Eagle Trailer is 1500lbs custom made for the 22' Classic. So... do some small math you are at 4900lbs +- fluids etc 100-200lbs. oh by the way if you top off your 22 b4 towing..not recommended 55gal=approx 330lbs eek! not to mention all your fuel being siphoned out as you haul...just ask DR. Dan on that one :D
Poolde hit the nail on the head when it comes to towing. Most people don't realize the towing capacity of your vehicle includes whats IN YOUR VEHICLE AS WELL. My K2500 GMC Suburban hauls my 22' Classic like a toy(10,000-lbs limit)...but its the stopping power and center of gravity traits of a longer vehicle that I like. My dad has a moutaineer and a 23 Chapparel which he only hauls 2-3 miles down the road. If you plan on long haul trips like a few of us do.. myself included, invest in a minimum V8 size eng 4x4 suv or pickup. Anything rated under 6800lbs towing your going to have issues especially going up/down long inclines.
Stopping is the real issue. You will eat up a GOOD set of brakes twice as fast..tires too..I've hauled from DC to Miami and northern FL and can say I'd not trade my Burban for anything wink ..well maybe a RED H2 :D
good luck shopping :)

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-25-2003, 10:17 PM
What MADPOODLE said, some of us learn the hard way, his advice got me a free trailer and 3 more years in debt (F250 4x4 Diesel), but we tow worry free now. :)

Try a 65 MPH blow out on an under rated trailer and tow vehicle (Jeep GC) for a 6800 pound boat with a boarder line tow rating! SCAREY!
Will the tow vehicle get you stopped?

I hated to step up in tow vehicles $ but safety first. There is a lot to be said for safety that we all take for granted, on the water and towing to the water.
We towed about 5000 miles safely and worry free in '02.
Best of luck to you, keep us posted.
Bryan