PDA

View Full Version : Need Full External Hydraulic Steering System!

Donzi22zx
04-21-2003, 08:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone is selling or knows where I can get the best deal on a full external hyraulic steering system? I currently have a Hynautic Full internal hydraulic steering system, and it sucks for high performance. The speeds I will be running this summer, I will need a Full external hydraulic steering system. If anyone can help please let me know, Thanks Bill, I will be posting my new speed numbers later this week, that I am sure will cause a stir on the board. I will say I am now going to be running a 26p Bravo 1 that is lab finished from Trottle Up, in Largo, Florida. I app. any help.

MOP
04-21-2003, 09:08 PM
From my experiance with Hynautic there stuff has been good, you see it on some pretty big boats. I would think you could keep the helm and plumbing to the stern and just get a high quality ram and and drive kit. Do a search there have been a few good posts on external steering.

smoothie
04-22-2003, 07:54 AM
You may want to keep an eye on e-bay,also a few guys on offshoreonly put together a complete system for $2000.00,Your old helm wont work with the new system,not the right type valve.

Heres the thread:

Okay, here we go. We have a limited number of full hydraulic systems for sale at the following prices.

Single - $1925.00
Twin - $2050.00 includes extra wingplate and tie bar.

These systems contain two stainless steel cylinders, stainless wingplates, stainless clevises ( machined from a billet, not cast), Stainless transom brackets with integrated thru-hull fittings, Stainless braided lines to the cylinders, special powersteering pump cap, extra fluid tank, the Charlynn valve and post, steering hub, high presure filter, and the miles of internal hydraulic hose and fittings. Email me at maxxk9@bellatlantic.net or call 757-739-5196, if you are interested in a system. Installation is available.

MOP
04-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Curious what the heck does Valve have to do with anything, maybe helm volume capacity. Thats the only thing one needs to know. I've installed and serviced these systems for over 30 years on alot of boats both outboard and inboard quite a few over 50 foot.

smoothie
04-26-2003, 07:44 PM
Mop,It has to do with volume,an open system and number of turns lock to lock,I have 2 1/4 total turns left to right.

MOP
04-26-2003, 10:42 PM
Basicly thats what I am getting at, most of the externals I have looked on 20-25 foot boat use small bore, short stroke rams. most singles are larger bore and have a longer stroke, so it is a good chance that the helm will have enough volume to carry two smaller half strokes. There must be a chart on various helm capacities, as long as they match the rams why not use them if they are in good condition.

smoothie
04-27-2003, 03:06 PM
Here's a chart (http://www.h-ri.com/Product/Steering_systems/Steer_sys_helm_details.html) for ya mop,I used the 211-1010.

BigGrizzly
04-27-2003, 06:50 PM
I did it the easy way, I ordered a complete system with dual rams from Imco and 4 hours later its on and I'm gone. Great kit and all stainless from ram's to brackets. BTW everyone uses the Char-lyn in their kits, I beleice mine is the 160cc varity. From my perspective Full hydraulic is the only way to go. I won't go back

MOP
04-27-2003, 07:06 PM
How much better are Char-lyn helms? I have not worked with them, are they much more expensive than the OEM items I am used to?

smoothie
04-27-2003, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the help Grizz,Im running out of things to post :D

clayman
04-28-2003, 12:02 AM
I am currently working with John from XS Marine for my new set up. They are the above mentioned guys from OSO. He sold me the full kit for $1800. I have to fab my own wingplate, they only have bravo. But I am looking forward to getting rid of the sloppy old cable steering. I will post a bunch -o-pics when I get it.
Jim