PDA

View Full Version : Mooring Covers

BS
07-22-2002, 04:56 PM
I am trying to find a full cover for my 1988 Z33-Crossbow to use when it is on the lift. Does anybody have any ideas other then spending $800+ on a custom made job.

Thanks
Bill

Dr. Dan
07-22-2002, 08:30 PM
Bill, I got a full cover for my 22 Classic this Spring,it cost around $560 delivered with all custom options etc. It has saved me absolutely countless hours :p of buffing and waxing and washing for that matter! :D No more sedentary dirt and the like, from sitting under the blistering sun, and massive scrubbing prior to the boats use! www.coverquest.com (http://www.coverquest.com) They have about 3 different levels of qualities, with the Sunbrella being the Top of the Line! :D ...Doc

Donzigo
07-23-2002, 04:48 AM
BS,

You will be glad you got a cover. SUNBRELLA is the only way to go. More expensive up front; but other than having the seams restiched every four years, you are done for about ten years buying covers. And the only way to go is to have one all the way down to the water line.

Donzigo

MOP
07-23-2002, 07:03 AM
How well do the straps clear the hull, I've seen them chaff the gel coat pretty bad. I still have the original draw string Donzi cover, its getting prety tired am looking hard for good replacement. I have heard these are excellent quality but the straps spook me. Thanks for any input.

Dr. Dan
07-23-2002, 07:53 AM
MOP, We use Velcro Fasteners to wrap around any extra tails to prevent them from flapping in the wind, we also have a Modified "Velux" Blanket at the front of the Bow to add for serious chaffing protection on our Donzi Treks for 1000 + miles, this all seems to work great, AOTH II and Burt Lake were both over the 1000 mile mark, we be happy! :rolleyes: If I had to replace it every 3 years I'd do it to save me all of the detail time before these Rendevous!... eek! Doc

MOP
07-23-2002, 01:04 PM
Thanks on the blanket tip, that was going to br another question are they offerinf the covers lined. Sunbreller is great stuff but it will chaf, I see guys getting alot of time out of it on thier boat tops and enclosures. I have movers blankets that I may have cut and bound.

BS
07-24-2002, 08:52 AM
Thanks for all the replys. Does anyone know if a cover made for 1993 Z-33 will fit my 1988 Crossbow.

I keep the boat on a lift in a covered dock, so wanting something to keep the dirt and bugs out. I'm thinking a drawstring would make it faster to put on and take off. The easier it is to use the more likely I am to use it.

Thanks,
Bill

boldts
07-24-2002, 09:20 AM
What I did with my 22 Classic full cover as far as the tie downs was to first cut the plastic ring for the tie down off leaving only the material loop. I then ran those bungee cord tie downs through this loop leaving the plastic coated hooks at the bottom as they hang. These hooks now easily attach to my trailer or say a boat lift and are far away from my blue gelcoated sides. The bungee cords look like a cord, not the black rubber.
Doc is absolutely right about the less clean-up time spent, how-ever for those short one day trips, rather than the full cover, I use my cockpit cover which I have had dot snaps installed every other snap across the windshield base and down the sides. Tried it last weekend on the trip to MI and worked beautifully. Cover stayed on the boat and was easily removed once I arrived at the destination thanks to loops to grab hold of where the dot snaps are on the cover. :)

riverrat
07-24-2002, 09:49 AM
BS, call the factory. I've had several covers on my differant boats through the years & I find it's worth the extra money to #1. buy one that fits your boat & #2 get the heavest material offered. 2 cents.

the rat...

"LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO DRIVE A SLOW BOAT!"

Donzigo
07-24-2002, 10:48 PM
BS. I've been using Sunbrella material for over 25 years in boating. Never had a problem. The canvas maker will put heavy plastic reinforcements around the edges, front, windsheild, and any other likely chaf spot. It's great stuff. Here's a picture of my two boats and covers. My boats NEVER sits overnight without being covered, never. Sunbrella breathes; so, I can wash it down, cover it, and forget it.Water evaporates right through the material. One more thing, if you're not covering the boat down to the waterline, you're not doing it right. http://www.donzi.net/photos/RAaron108Two.jpg .