PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive leaking

florida gator
04-20-2003, 07:16 PM
Please someone tell me this is not going to be a major expense. 1990 OMC King Cobra. Discovered small leak, I'm guessing gear lube. Also has developed some play when in gear. :mad:

MOP
04-20-2003, 08:51 PM
Give us more! What kind of play and where, where is the leak, does it still move the boat Ok forward and reverse? And is it a King cone shifter or Cobra bottom dog shifter important stuff. Seems like alot of people think they are the same, other than color NOT!

florida gator
04-21-2003, 08:38 AM
It seems to be leaking from the prop hub area. After a couple of hours cruising it seemed like it was not engaging in gear at the dock for a few seconds. After pulling it out of the water, I put it in gear while it was not running and spun the prop. It made a few revolutions before it "caught".

MOP
04-21-2003, 04:15 PM
With the drive down in the vertical position take the top big screw out wipe it and stick it back in the oil should be showing on the dip stick, I think you are low on oil they don't engage well when low on oil. The prop shaft seal is no big deal, should not be to expensive probably cheaper than the haul out. Check the oil level before running it anymore that can lead to real big dollars!

Cuda
04-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Yeah, what he said. :) Check that oil before "Big Bill" comes knocking.

MOP
04-21-2003, 05:59 PM
Hey Cuda how big a mill you got in the Cuda? My kid and I stuffed a big wedge head in his, ran like hell handled like crap.

florida gator
04-21-2003, 07:34 PM
Thanks guys. This gives me alot more hope than some info I have received elsewhere.

Cuda, you still working in Ocala? I need togo up 1 day this week.