PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Drive questions?

Eugene Nahemow
04-19-2003, 09:06 PM
I can't find too much information on Alpha SS Drives.
What is the actual difference between a Alpha I and Alpha SS?

What is the difference in performance of Alpha GenII and Alpha SS?

Where can Alpha SS reconditioned units be purchased?

Thanks.

Rootsy
04-19-2003, 09:23 PM
i don't know a whooooole lot.. just what i have managed to learn this spring... i'll give it a go with what i know and hopefully the guru's will give you the whole story

the SS is 3 inches shorter, prop shaft to input shaft than the alpha and alpha gen II. the SS is based off of the gen I alpha and has the same waterpump and gears as well as a lot of other alpha parts internally. The driveshaft from upper to lower is shorter i believe. the lower unit (gearcase) resembles the old mercury CLE outboard gear cases but i've been told the SS casting is beefier. to look at each you could not tell this. if you lose a gearcase you can use an OB gearcase to replace it... The SS gearcase has low water pickups on the top of the nosecone which i believe is cast as an integral part of the gearcase.

the driveshaft housing is also unique to the SS.. it resembles the alpha driveshaft housing but is in fact shorter. The merc data says that they were all right hand rotation and either 1.36 or 1.50 ratio drives. The drive will bolt directly to a generation I alpha transom assy.

the drive is irreplacable and has been obsolete since around 89... the SS was manufactured for like 3 years.. 86 - 89. if you lose the drive shaft housing you are pretty much SOL until you can find another somewhere by the grace of god. to my knowledge no one out there readily has them sitting on a shelf rebuilt and for sale...

as for performance... well my 16 definitely seems to like it... i've seen em on an 18 and it too seems to like it.. i have no clue on anything else but i have heard nothing but good things about them.

Cuda
04-19-2003, 09:54 PM
I've read a lot on the SS drives the last couple years. I'd say on something like a C 18 with a hot SBC, they would be the cats azz. A lot of people report an eight to ten percent increase in speed with this modification only. That's pretty dang good bang for the buck in my opinion. You can find them for around $2000 most of the time.

Eugene Nahemow
04-20-2003, 12:10 AM
Thanks,
If anyone hears of one I would appreciate a lead.

Is there any adverse effect if the prop rotation on the Alpha SS is right handed and your steering is on the port side?

HyperDonzi
04-20-2003, 09:33 AM
Eugene, Your best bet is to check the classifieds online at places like OffshoreBid, OSO, Here, and ask around marinas and internet sites. They are out there, I think I remember someone with one, I will ask...

Tommy

CDMA
04-20-2003, 10:07 AM
E,

A board memeber, Turbo2556, has one forsale. I saw it when I was there with Cliff to pick up his 16 and my Magnum. Looked pretty good.

Chris