PDA

View Full Version : Volvo shift Shoe

Ralph Savarese
04-19-2003, 06:56 PM
Which way does the shift shoe have to face on a volvo 270 looking at it from the back . There is a taller and shorter side.
Any help thank you so much
Ralph

BillG
04-19-2003, 10:26 PM
Ralph
The hex head on the shift lever goes to the right from the rear and the tallest end of the shoe also goes to the right from the rear.
Bill G

MOP
04-19-2003, 10:49 PM
You can also hold the converter like you were going to insert it, the shoe is offset so it only sets into the cone one way. Did you take the time to lap the cone? Its worth the time it makes it seat better in the female sides, especialy if you fliped it over while apart. You tell us you have had that reliable cuss for alot of years! That cone has taken a set, cut it with a little valve grinding compound just till the glaze is uniformly gone. It will feel like new.

Ralph Savarese
04-20-2003, 10:33 AM
Phil,
The cone is brass and has a stamp that says top so I did not flip it over.
The reason why I am asking is that it will fit both ways but I herd it will bind if wrong.
Bill,
I understand the taller end part but don't see the hex head you are referring to. the shoe works on an esentric lobe that moves it up and down.
Ralph

MOP
04-20-2003, 11:37 AM
Yeah they were marked that was for reassembly after use, the cone is exact in dimension both sides, the cone surface they said takes a set. If I had to take one apsrt I always lapped them lightly to break the surface, that was recommended by one of the good reps from Volvo. Many times customers would tell me it shifetd better and smoother, I would say its like any surface you want to mate correctly lap them in. When you set the cone onto the shaft the floater spring should hold the cone pretty much centered between the recievers if not buy a new spring I feel they do get tired after awhile.

Ralph Savarese
04-20-2003, 06:32 PM
Phil,
I get the idea but I still need to know the direction of the shift shoe thats all for now I am ready for reassembly.
Bill said long side to the right facing it from the rear I am going to go with that.

BillG
04-20-2003, 08:41 PM
Ralph
The hex is the adjustment on the outside of the lever that moves with the shift arm. If you remove it there are shims underneath that you use to adjust the depth of the shoe engagement. You are supposed to remove shims until you can not rotate the prop shaft and then add one at a time until it just moves.
Bill G

Ralph Savarese
04-21-2003, 08:21 PM
Bill I am installing all the same shims that came out just needed to know direction

MOP
04-21-2003, 08:50 PM
High side to stbd. long end to port.

Ralph Savarese
04-22-2003, 07:28 AM
Phil,
dosn't high side and long end mean the same thing?

MOP
04-22-2003, 04:56 PM
Ralph You Got Mail and a dirty picture!