View Full Version : New chat software - Need testers

harbormaster
04-15-2003, 08:43 AM
Here is where it is...

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ubb_shoutbox.cgi

try it out.

Digger
04-15-2003, 10:01 AM
worked good (Im sorry grammarians...WELL) for me Scot!

DonzigoJR
04-15-2003, 10:30 AM
Worked good. I like.

P.S. Thank you for all the hard work you do for us on this site.

Kirk
04-15-2003, 10:59 AM
Harbormaster,

Tried it...works great just need someone to chat with live to get the flavor. If you need me to do that with you or someone else send me an email kirkj@olcweb.com and I'll jump on.

KJ

Greg K
04-15-2003, 11:08 AM
I know we have gotten pretty use to the current IRC chat room and seems to work well for those that use it. Yes it has a few problems, but I like the speed of it, seeing all who is in the chat room and the behind the scene private messaging.

What are some of the other features or options for the shoutbox? I can't tell if it reloads each time a person enters a message or only reloads once I enter one.

Ranman
04-15-2003, 11:54 AM
I kept getting some sort of flood protection error. I guess I'm typing too fast or something.

I'm with Greg in that the IRC has a nice feel and you can see who is in the room at any time. I also, like the private chat in the IRC room too.

Good work there Scot.

harbormaster
04-15-2003, 02:04 PM
I have disabled the flood protection.

This product supposedly supports all computer platforms.

This software reads the cookie left on your machine by the Bulletin board software and automatically sees your board handle. This way you do not have to log in. It automatically knows who everyone is.

I can also block outsiders from the chat. They will need to register in order to use the chat.

You can also use the graemlins from the board by using the appropriate keystrokes.

My plans will be to add a window that will be up always that shows the chat room. What do you ya'll think? I only want to support 1 chat room.

Should I blow this one off and keep the existing one?

boxy
04-15-2003, 02:36 PM
There is a Ultimate Frisbee board that I look at every now and then, that uses the chat/shout software you are testing, and I find it works for short, one liner type messages, but it doesn't foster any sustained conversations. If you are asking for opinions, then I would have to say keep the IRC chat program. It works well, it's separate from the site, and you have to participate to find out what's going on, you can't just lurk.
I liken the current platform to my local pub, you never know who is there until you drop in, you're always welcomed, and you usually end up talking to someone, at least once a night, that you've never spoke to before.
If we can only support 1 version of chat, I hope it's the IRC version, because I like my new local "pub".

Shanghied Again
04-15-2003, 02:39 PM
This page works faster

Greg K
04-15-2003, 03:14 PM
Scot,

I know you work hard at maintaining this site..and making it accessible to everyone. I think you should blow this one off and keep the existing chat room.

mattyboy
04-15-2003, 03:57 PM
well let's say we test it truly tonight at 9pm eastern time with the normal suspects.
i like the fact that it goes by board handle
I would like to put it thru it's paces before I canned it

Matt

MOP
04-15-2003, 06:13 PM
:D :D :D I Like it!

mattyboy
04-15-2003, 07:50 PM
I appreciate all your hard work Scot, but the new chat is not real time you don't see everyones posts til u re post, don't go nuts i think the irc is better

Matt

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-15-2003, 07:55 PM
Keep what we have, you can not tell who is in, I had no luck trying to talk to MOP or ROADTRIP who was posting when I was.
(can you hear me now?)

Windows XP.

Bryan