PDA

View Full Version : Betrix Between ?

evetsathom
04-14-2003, 09:49 PM
I'm hot on the trail to purchase my first 22 Classic.
I have been on the phone and on the internet for weeks looking for the right boat for me. I'm now on a trip to look at two of the boats that fit the bill..
Today I visited a well informed owner of a 1987 22 Classic. The boat was in cherry shape with a 1992 454 and a TRS drive. No dings, Not even on the rub rail !!
Brand new galvanized trailer. It seams to be the complete package. The owner positioned the boat as "one of,if not the best year for the 22' with the perfect setup". He was persuading !! Asking $19,000.00
In conversation, I mentioned that I was going to look at a 1997 22" Black Hawk tomorrow. He went off on the BlackHawk drive and started talking about the lack of available parts and their cost. It was apparent to him that the Black Hawk was not the best drive system. This fact was proven by the fact that it was only offered for two? years. This made me question one of my final contestants.
I'm inclined to buy the BlackHawk if the boat turns out to be everything that the owner claims. I'm not a motorhead and don't want to spend a lot of time (and money) looking for parts if the boat has a problem. I need to make a decision pretty soon. Looking for advice...

Greg Maier
04-15-2003, 05:38 AM
I don't think they made Blackhawks in 1997. To the best of my knowledge, they were made in 95 and 96. I would get the Blackhawk if it is in good condition. There are lots of 454/TRS's around, but there aren't many 502/Blackhawks. But, I'm biased.

Dr. Dan
04-15-2003, 06:23 AM
wink Well let's see....$19 for a Cherry 1987 is steep.....it's still a 1987 Hull...but it's all relative! I think you are comparing two different animals here! First you are considering a "Cherry '87,that is a more standard package" and as an alternate you are comparing it to a limited production Blackhawk. First I would confirm the facts on the Blackhawk to see if it is one or just has the drive....there is a difference in the Hull design...which others can highlight for you. Basically it has more Rocker in the Hull Design....which seriously effects its attitude in the water! eek! It's like you are comparing a Quarter Horse to a Wild Stallion...ask yourself what are you looking for! Either boat is going to eat your wallet,regardless, why...because it's a boat...and that is what they do best....controlled consumption is what I perscribe...but is difficult to control for most Donzi Owners! Good Luck in your pursuits and keep us posted!.... :cool: ...Doc

Digger
04-15-2003, 06:51 AM
hard to beat Dan's advice there, I will just pile on and say buy one of them, you will be happy. Use this board to ask specific questions, you will get specific and knowledgeable answers, and use the search function to look for specific topics. Look over all the available boats in your range, get second opinions, then pick one. Good luck!

FASTEDDIE
04-15-2003, 06:59 AM
Before you buy that OMC, call your local OMC dealer and discuss parts, prices and availability for OMC engine parts. I think you will find that there is no local OMC dealer so what is he talking about lack of Blackhawk parts. At least they have parts and still being made by Mercury Marine , your blackhawk can be serviced by any Mercury dealer anyplace in the world. I agree that 19,000 is top top buck for an 1987 with old technology.
Blackhawk drives are 97% bravo one parts anyhow.

Cuda
04-15-2003, 07:04 AM
If the Blackhawk is in as good of shape, I'd go with it, mostly because of the rarity of it. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a 22 Classic, but a Blackhawk................. :)

Tom Davis
04-15-2003, 07:48 AM
I would go with the Black Hawk! A couple of thoughts, having had some experience with the set up.... If the BH drive is installed after factory in replacement of a bravo without raising the X-dimension it effects the speed & handling of the boat because the drive will sit lower in the water than it was designed for. There are solutions to this, such as a Imco extension box that will raise it 3" of the 3.5" needed. Or you can build a new transom and cut the X-dimension in the right place (very costly).

As far as parts go.... All the internal parts are still available from Merc, the only rare part is the casting (outside body) of the drive. But I know people who have found them as well on e-bay and gotten some great deals...

Props are a whole other issue, but again there are allot of them out there to play with, Just ask Woodsy, he has been playing with the set up on his 22 and has tried a few different props and set ups. Getting the right props for this set up is very important.

The Black Hawk was a very missunderstood drive but if set up properly really kicks a#%...Just ask Steve Marr and Woodsy!!!

As far as the TRS set up, it's a really rugged drive, built to last, but with that comes the added weight and loss of HP compared to the Bravo or the BH.

Just my .02
Tom Davis
Winni Bandits :cool: