PDA

View Full Version : Florida Bound

Tug
04-14-2003, 09:32 PM
I just pulled out my 22zx from storage in Mass. yesterday, heading down to Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater FL for a week. I will launch from MacDill AFB, does anyone know of some good places to run? I'm looking to finish my break in period and then some (only have 8 hours on her). Any inputs that may increase the fun or keep me out of real trouble would be appreciated?

Cuda
04-15-2003, 07:09 AM
Just to put some easy time on it, you may want to take it up the Hillsboro River from there. I don't boat much on that side of the Bay, but the last time I was near McDill, I got pulled over by the airforce. They checked my registration and directed me to stay 1000 yards off the beach. The 1000 yards is not marked by any bouys.

Fish boy
04-15-2003, 09:04 AM
Tug,
there are lots of us down in the tampa bay area. The weather is beautiful right now, and it is generally not too hard to get the Seadogs motivated to get together- especially with a visiting donzi registry member.

Just out of curiosity, why put in at MacDill, are you in the military? The only reason I ask is that CentCom is there, and I am sure you can imagine the hassle factor from law enforcement protecting our national interests will probably be slightly increased at this time.

fish

DonzigoJR
04-15-2003, 09:42 AM
Take the boat to St.Pete and put in at either Fort Desoto and then run the beach and Egg Mont, or there is always O'Neal's Marina right there by the interstate. Both locations will give you access to some of the best boating in the world. If you go to St.Pete there are lots of restuarants and places to hang out on the beach. Shell Island, Gator's, The Wharf, Cocomo's, Shepards, Salt Rock Grill, etc. The list can go on for days. If you need any direction on places to go get in touch with Buddman or Donzigo. They both live right there where we are talking about.

David :D

Team Hula Girl
04-15-2003, 06:12 PM
Tug, there are too many places to list of where to launch the boat. I think it really depends on where you will be staying while your down here and how long you will be here. You may even get to do and see all of the things listed. If you are going to be in Tampa give me a call. I am on Davis Island which is near the mouth of the Hillborough river. I am on the 28ZF at least two/three times during the week.

John

Tug
04-15-2003, 11:04 PM
I'm an Air Force Captain taking a week of leave with the RV and Donzi at the MacDill campground. It is tough to trailer the boat all over, so I will have top start my travels from the base. I plan to head over to Ft. Desoto and up the intercostal at a minimum. Thanks for the offer John, you may get a call.