PDA

View Full Version : power steering 2/B or not 2/B?

Greg
06-13-2001, 06:47 AM
I was in a marina yesterday scrounging for parts for my conversion to sbc/alpha setup. When it came to the subject of power steering the mechanic asked why. He said the 18 is a really light boat and would not benefit that much from it. Thinking back the Volvo 200 never had it, I've never had a boat with it. Anyone out there ever had a sbc alpha setup w/o power steering? How would you set it up? I am switching the controls to the right side so I'm not sure if I can even use the stuff I have now. Any suggestions?

------------------

Formula Jr
06-14-2001, 01:05 AM
Go for a Non-feed Back System. I have the rack type and though there is very little steering effort, there is a slight pull to one or the other side depending on rpms. I was also thinking of putting in PS but after I got the steering linkage and tab/prop combo sorted out, the steering is so lite I decided, why add the weight and complexity.

Greg
06-14-2001, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the reply. That solves a couple of problems. Now I can put the alternator where the pump was and won't have to modify the stringer, and like the mechanic said, "Everytime you don't have to spin a belt you pick up a few ponies." I'm not sure how many but they all help in those critical moments.

Jamesbon
06-14-2001, 07:54 AM
Hey Greg!
Hope all is well. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. While it may be cheaper and less complicated to go without, can you imagine going 50 mph with nothing more than 1 finger on the wheel? (not that I suggest you do so...) Coming from cable steering, and prop torque that'll make your right arm look like it's on steroids, I'd opt for the power steering. Just my $.02

Nate