PDA

View Full Version : Deck Stripe Width

boldts
06-12-2001, 09:18 PM
In looking at pictures from Donzi gatherings and the couple of outings I've attended, my 1969 18' Classic has a much thinner deck stripe in comparison to other boats I've seen. I am planning to refurbish the stripe and deck on my Donzi. Can anyone tell me what the width of the stripe was in 1969 so I can have it done to original specs?

Scott Boldt

Tony
06-12-2001, 09:33 PM
Scott,

7 1/4"...on my '67 Ski Sporter, if that helps at all. Scott, with Cumberland, Lake St. Clair, and the upcoming New York event under your belt...are you totally insane and coming to the Les Cheneaux Islands? If so you MUST qualify for an award of some kind!(p.s. It would be about 4 hrs farther than Lake St. Clair...a stones throw compared to Kentucky and New York!)

[This message has been edited by Tony (edited 06-12-2001).]

Looped
06-12-2001, 09:40 PM
Scott,
I just ran out to my garage to take quick measurement. What I can tell under the re-paint job, it looks like I have a 7” red stripe on my 67’ 2+3 in the original gelcoat. I could be off but that’s what I can tell without sanding down an edge too much. I'll double check because of the Tony posting with a larger measurement.

This could be a good posting to see if the width changed over the years too.

Craig

Scott Pearson
06-12-2001, 09:52 PM
Scott,
7 inches. My 1968 had the orig gelcoat on it and it was 7 inches exact. Thats what I put back on.

(NJ)Scott

boldts
06-12-2001, 11:06 PM
Gentlemen,
Thank-you for the information. I went out in the garage and measured mine because you all raised my curiosity. It is 7" also. I guess the spider web cracks have come from the sun and the dark blue color rather than a bad repaint job.

Tony - I wish I was, but we are not going to be able to make the trip to Lake George this year. No vacation time left. We are planning to make the trip next year though. I'm sure there are many other Donzi owners and one Formula Jr. owner I know who have put many more miles on there rigs than I have. The upstate Michigan gathering may be a possibility though. It would probably be about the same distance you put into coming down to Kentucky for me. I'll get out the MapQuest and the calendar to see if it's do-able.

Tony
06-13-2001, 10:22 AM
My 7 1/4" measurement is the result of 2 thin press-on pinstripes on each side of the 7" gel-coat stripe. I wonder why they did this while re-gelcoating?

Looped
06-13-2001, 11:02 AM
Tony,
They sometimes do that to cover up the bleeding of the two colors meeting each other.

Craig

jaroot
06-13-2001, 11:55 AM
when you cross the state line into michigan on US 23 (which is the shortcut you want to take when heading north to avoid detroit and about 30 miles of extra travel) it is 315 miles to the bridge and hessel and cedarville are another 35 or so from st. ignace... once you get north of saginaw and bay city it is pretty much hammer down to the bridge... nothing but trees... used to take me 4 to 4 1/2 hours to the bridge from just north of the ohio line way back when i made the trip often to school...