PDA

View Full Version : Prop Suggestions

Rootsy
07-24-2001, 07:43 AM
Well it's that time, time for a new prop so i can bring those rpm's back down. I've dealt with my fare share of different props but not on a donzi. right now i'm spinning a 19 Vengence @ ATLEAST 5000 rpm (rev limiter), 57 mph. Have a 5.7 L w/ Alpha in her... I'd love some input on different props as far as performance on a 16 classic. I am willing to sacrafice speed for stability and i want to stay away from custom props really. Any insight any of ya might have would be appreciated.

thanks!

Jamie

Riley
07-24-2001, 07:57 AM
Good Morning Jamie (or is it Terry?),

I spin a 19" Vengeance at 4850 with my 305 2bbl, and my 21" Mirage and MW Ballistic at 4500-4600. When I step up to the 23" Vengeance the rpm's drop to around 4300, but it takes a long time to wind out. However, the 23" gives me the best top speed (on the speedo) by 3 or 4 mph. I think if I were you I'd mess around with 21" props and see what works best. The 21" will probably give you the best all around combo of acceleration, top speed, and stability. One other thing to keep in mind is that the Vengeance isn't really much more than a glorified aluminum prop, and doesn't offer much hull lift or "grip" in the turns. I'd try a Mirage, a Laser II, and any other 21" ss wheel you can get your hands on.

You're welcome to any of my props, let me know what you need.

Chris

Rootsy
07-24-2001, 09:59 AM
Riley,

your 305 spins the 19 that fast on your 18? my 350 in stock form (2V) was getting about 44 to 4500 out of the 19. I think i have a few hundred more RPM (5300) in her maybe after i lean her out some more. Found out my VDO tach was off by about 250 rpm at idle at least so i don;t know what the top end really was. i'd love to try a 14.25 X 21 Mirage and see what i get, i don;t think id go with a vengence in the future. Are you willing to part with the Mirage? And are you interested in that throttle cable plate?

BTW, anyone know what a newer 16 w/ V8 goes? is it 2400 lbs w/ motor and drive?

Thanks

Jamie

Riley
07-24-2001, 10:17 AM
Jamie, yes I'm still interested in that plate, and yes, I'd be willing to part with the Mirage. Actually I've borrowed the prop from Spicer's just to try, so I'd have to see what they want for it. This prop is a solid hub prop versus the newer, rubber hubbed set up, so you want to make sure you don't run 'er aground! Actually I really like the Mirage, the boat handles great. I'm dead set on trying a Laser II though, before I decide which prop to go with full time.

Yes, my 305 does spin the 19" that high, but it's possible the tach could be off a bit. The 305 is rated at 220 hp, and with the Vortec Heads, roller cam, and 9.5/1 compression it should make decent torque. That's why I'd like to try a 4 bbl and see what would happen!

Rootsy
07-24-2001, 10:42 AM
Don't say those dreaded words!!! RUNNING AGROUND! can't say as i have ever done that but once in my life and that was in sand so it just shines things up and removes paint. still not good on a 400 dollar stainless prop though! Find out what they get for the prop, Cabelas in Dundee had a Mirage + a while back for something like 369 bucks. i need to shoot down there and check out the bargin cave i think! marinas tend to be a bit pricy, checked a while back and they wanted around 4 to 425 for a Mirage depending on where i went. Email me your address and i'll send that bracket off to you along with my address and number.

Jamie
jaroot@tdi.net

hyperlite98
08-04-2004, 03:29 PM
A liitle input from my experience with a Laser II, I'm running a classic 16, 4.3 (190HP) Alpha 1:62. The Laser had poor hole shot and I didn't see any extra MPH at WOT (hit my rev limiter more than once) I found the vengeance better on my setup (both were 14x19) going to move to a Mirage 21P this weekend to try and bring down my revs.

cheers,jeff

Rootsy
08-04-2004, 03:42 PM
WOW... a blast from the past..

We have come a LONG way from that point... trust me though.. the mirage is something you probably are gonna watn to leave on the shelf for your 16...

good speed and decent handling... run a turbo 1

for good speed and excellent handling go to the quad IV O/T or the quad IV (2 - 3 mph loss but on rails).

cleavers run well at higher speeds but you lose mid range cruise...

more props have been on my prop shaft than i have fingers and toes

JR

mattyboy
08-04-2004, 03:45 PM
deja vu all over again!!!!!
so tell us Jamie how did it work out for ya???
did you finally break 60 :tongue: :p ;) he he he

Matty

Rootsy
08-04-2004, 03:56 PM
:moped:

JR

MOP
08-04-2004, 05:46 PM
Jamie don't play with any solid hub props on the Alpha or you will be doing the lower over agian way before its time.

Phil

Rootsy
08-04-2004, 06:01 PM
i think i'll stick to avoiding logs first Phil...
:p

ToonaFish
08-04-2004, 10:31 PM
I am willing to sacrafice speed for stability

Yep, that's what I was thinking as I clung to the underside of your seat, praying for a quick death... "that old Rootsy, always striving for greater stability."

:biggrin.: