PDA

View Full Version : We're on for Les Cheneaux July 13-15!

Riley
06-12-2001, 08:43 AM
All the pieces are falling into place, and the first annual Les Cheneaux Islands Donzi Blast is a go for July 13-15. This is going to be a great chance to enjoy some of the finest boating on the Great Lakes, so we're hoping a lot of you Donzi folks make the trip to beautiful Northern Michigan.

For those of you unfamiliar with The Les Cheneaux Islands, check out the website at http://www.lescheneaux.org. The 36 Islands located in Northern Lake Huron offer uncrowded boating in a beautiful natural setting. Not to mention a fun, layed back atmosphere with minimal hassles from local Marine law enforcement.

We are going to make the town of Hessel our base of operations for the weekend. I've spoken with the Hessel dockmaster, and we currently have 10 slips reserved, with the potential for more if need be. If you would like more info on docking, call Gail at the Hessel Marina (906-484-3917) and mention my name and the Donzi gathering. She'll be more than happy to help you out.

Regarding lodging, most of the "on the water" resorts are alreay booked, usually a year in advance. I'd suggest trying to get a room at one of the local motels:

Les Cheneaux Motel: 906-484-2581
The Islands Inn: 906-484-2293
Cedarville Comfort Inn: 906-484-2266

If you need more lodging info give me a call at 906-484-3427.

Our tentative intnerary is as follows:

Friday night: sunset cruise and cocktail party

Saturday: Breakfast, Show and shine in the morning, boating, picnic, dinner?, dancing?

Sunday: Mackinac Island Run, weather permitting.

Any ideas or suggestions you all may have are welcome, I'd like to make this a fun event for everybody. If you are interested in attending this event, please leave your name, boat type, and way to contact you, or else email me at rpmco@lighthouse.net. Thanks, Chris

Riley
06-12-2001, 03:56 PM
Here is another link that you might find interesting: http://clarktwp.org

Follow the links to the Antique Boat Show and Festival of Arts, it shows the marina where we will be operating from. Gail, the harbor master (mistress?), is really pitching in to help make this event a success. She even offered to give cottage tours of her historic home on Marquette Island for any Donzi owners!

I have also reserved several tables in The Islander Bar for us for Friday night's welcome party. Owner Greg Bohn has give us the run of the place, and has offered to hang any banners, signs, etc. we may choose to display.

This is shaping up to be a really good time, I sure hope a few of you make the trip north!

Tony
06-12-2001, 09:04 PM
Sounds awesome! Better half Cherrie, and I, will be there with our 16' Ski Sporter (http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=198). I've been wanting to see these islands for several years and am anxious to finally do so.

I've booked a room at the Les Cheneaux Motel, and they tell me there is only one room left. Either of the other locations look good, though, and you can view them at the website Chris Riley linked above. Let's go, Great Lakes gang, and make plans for the Les Cheneaux Islands Donzi Blast!

Tony
06-18-2001, 07:43 PM
Where are all my Michigan Donzi comrades? Guys & gals, Chris Riley has put together a very cool sounding agenda in an awesome boating venue. All hands on deck!!!