PDA

View Full Version : ?? for forrest

marcdups
06-12-2001, 03:42 AM
What kind of engine are you running in your 16, exhaust system and prop, just inquisitive and looking for more speed? thanks.
Marc

North of the equator

RickR
06-12-2001, 11:24 AM
Are you getting a little more rain down there http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

CDMA
06-12-2001, 11:27 AM
To save forrest a little time...that is the coolest 16 I know of

Chris

Here is the setup on my 1972 16 Ski Sporter:
65.2 MPH on Trimble GPS @ 4700 RPM with 2 people on board 24 gal fuel + beer, ice, etc.

(cut and pasted from previous post)
* 1991 Ford 302 flat-tappet block and cast crank
* Open chamber 69cc heads (intake gasket matched)
* KB116 hyperutectic dome pistons (9.4:1 CR)
* factory 5.09" rods with ARP bolts
* Crane Powermax H-272-2 cam kit
* Edelbrock Performer 289 intake with ARP bolts
* Holley Marine 450 CFM vacuume secondary carb
* closed cooling systen with 160-degree thermostat
* Kodiak center-rise aluminum exhaust and risers
* Mercruiser 215 HP cast-aluminum seven-quart oil pan
* Alpha One SS drive (1.5:1)
* 14 x 23 three-blade Merc outboard motor cleaver prop

Note: The old 16 Donzi Ski-Sport hull differs from the new "Sweet 16" Classic. The inside lifting strakes on the 16 Ski Sporter ends about 16" from the transom, which causes this boat to run very high on the water. On the other hand, the inside lifting strakes on the later model Sweet 16 end about 4-feet from the transom, which make this boat run with more hull in the water producing a more stable and predictable ride than is to be had on the early model 16 Donzi. For this reason, the same setup in the later model 16 Donzi will most likely produce different results than listed above.

------------------
Forrest

Looped
06-12-2001, 12:29 PM
Chris,
Have you noticed this same effect with our style barrelbacks with the strakes running all the way to transom compared to the post ~1970 Classics that stop short by a couple of feet? I have wondering what the ride differences are with the sharp ā€œVā€ bottom, full strakes barellbacks are like compared to the rounded bottom shorter strakes hulls.

Craig

Scott Pearson
06-12-2001, 01:40 PM
Craig,
Interesting...I had my boat out last weekend and I had a friend of mine Skip with me. He has been around boat all his life...Race boats etc. He was interested in the hull that we have and how it would preform compared to the newer Donzi classics. Well, he found out soon enuff. He could not believe how it handled through the chop. He felt it was much more stable then the newer hull design and road alt better. Any hoooo...Thats just one persons opinion. I'm sure it can go either way.

(NJ)Scott

Forrest
06-12-2001, 01:51 PM
Thanks Chris! I needed a break from typing! Also note that the 16 is a little faster now that the engine has broken-in. In fact, Cliff (Bertram Boy) clocked it at 64 MPH with his GPS in Sanford with four people (two of which are over 200#), gear, ice, drinks, and a full load of gas. I have yet to clock it with a light load.

Rick, we got some rain alright. About 10" in an hour. Last night, I was laying back on the couch listening to the rain when my neighbor called to tell me the water was coming into her house. Immediately I thought, Oh S#!^, and went out to open the garage door. When the door opened, it looked like a mini-tidal wave about 6" tall came rushing out, and I've been pushing water out of my shop and picking up and drying-off stuff late last night and all morning. I don't think that there was any major damage to anything. There was a pair of big-block heads sitting on end on the floor but they were so oily that the water didn't seem to hurt them. One thing I can say, I don't think that my shop floor has ever been any cleaner!

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 06-12-2001).]

marcdups
06-13-2001, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the responses, has anyone extended their strakes on the newer ones and how do you think it will affect performance, Less boat in the water = more speed, my boat loves a chop at speeds and does not seem to lift enough in smooth conditions, although I still love it. Just ordered a captain's choice from corsa today, should have it in a week to 10 days, cannot wait to make some noise!!
thanks for any feedback

Marc

North of the equator, soaked