PDA

View Full Version : water in bilge

smokediver
06-09-2001, 09:12 AM
In my 16 there is a raised part of the bilge were the stringers run. there is no drainage from that part into the bilge. does anyone know how far forward these 2 voids run foward? I wish donzi would have plced drains for these 2 voids. Would it be a mistake to drill through the stringer so that the water would empty into the bilge?

------------------
better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Murphy
06-09-2001, 11:23 AM
My 22 has a hole bored through the stringer on each side about 18" forward from the transom. They're about 2" in diameter and are placed right down against the hull so there is no lip to trap water. They were cut kind of crude so I took a drum sander and cleaned them up, then used penetrating epoxy to water proof the core material. Finished them off with a couple coate of bilge paint. I don't think the holes necessarily needed to be that big, A 1" hole would do it. Shouldn't weaken the string enough to matter that far back on the hull.

Murph

Greg
06-09-2001, 07:48 PM
Smokediver, I think that the reason they are not connected is because of the danger of a gas leak. I read an article about a drag boat that suffered a gas leak in the bilge. The gas sitting on top of the water caught fire and when he shut it down everything came forward engulfing him in flames. My '66 18 has the gas tank under the bow and has no runthru to under the interior section and the area under the interior where the beer cooler is has no exit to the engine area. I always wondered why until I read that article.