PDA

View Full Version : Alpha SS advice

Murphy
06-08-2001, 03:42 PM
Looks like I just bought myself an Alpha SS with the help of board member Marc from over in NC. Haven't seen it yet but should by next week sometime. I've read all the previous posts and and it sounds like a straight forward bolt-on transition. Is that pretty much it? Hopeing some of you SS owners (GeneD, Forrest, Chris) could fill me in on the finer points of installing and maintaining this drive. It will go on my 22 Classic.

Thanks,

Murph

marcdups
06-08-2001, 10:19 PM
hey murph, if you have any questions you are most welcome to call me at work and I'll put you through to bobby, which has been a master tech for merc for nearly 30 yrs now, so tech support is available whit the drive.
Marc

Forrest
06-11-2001, 11:42 AM
Just bolt it on and go! You are going to love it . . . that is until it unloads! I'm sure that you must be running a 454 or better in that 22. All that I can say is to just go easy on it, get a good drive shower, and use the best gear oil you can get you hands on. Also, don't expect lots of bow lift. Mine runs almost parallel to the keel in my 16 at wide open while turning a cleaver prop (stern lifting prop). My trim limit switch is set to only allow the drive out about two ticks. Anythihg beyond that in the little 16 makes it uncontrollable and not as fast.

------------------
Forrest

marcdups
06-11-2001, 10:03 PM
murf, will be sending you the unit tomorrow as bobby forgot the lower pick up water cone to run it out of the water, looks good though he went through it and it looks great, will ship with no lube, i would break it in with merc lube b4 going to synthetic, but it will be shipped tomorrow. I wish he had told me before I asked him about before you, I could have had it on my 16. Hope you like it, does need more grafite.
Marc

Murphy
06-12-2001, 12:06 PM
Thanks Forrest and Marc,

The 22 has a modified sbc that makes about 350 hp. I busted my Alpha 1 last summer so I know it can happen. Heard a loud sound like hitting something in the water followed a sound like a rod cap had come off or something. We limped in under low rpm. When I got into the upper gear case I gound a piece of metal about the size of a .22 calibre slug and a bunch of small metal shavings. I think it's a gear tooth but haven't torn the unit down yet to find out from where. My feeling is I damaged it as much with rpm as with hp. I was cranking it up to 5400 and that's when it crashed. I plan to keep the SS below 5000 once it's installed. Real excited about getting the unit Marc. Understand your note about Merc lube during break in. Is this unit rebuilt? Also, what is it about grafite that you mentioned in your last note. I want to make sure I do this right. Thanks for the feedback!

Murph

Forrest
06-12-2001, 02:12 PM
Does any on have a part number or source for the flusher attachment to fit the low water pickup on an Alpha SS. I have been using standard muffs over the intake holes and then wedge the other end in place under the gimble housing. It really doesn't work that well and for that reason, I would like to find the right thing.

BTW, I have an extra Alpha SS lower-unit housing with no internal parts in like new condition if anyone ever needs it.

------------------
Forrest

marcdups
06-12-2001, 06:50 PM
Murf, SS was shipped today, you should have it by the weekend, The lower unit is painted in graphite but may need some more on it. As for break in this unit was rebuilt according to bobby with high perf gears by him and only used once, he did go through the whole unit this weekend, new seals and waterpump impeller, hope you like it. Let me know if you need anything in the future, If you do not want it I DO!! take care
Marc

north of the equator and humid!