PDA

View Full Version : Best SBC Marine Ignition?

Riley
06-08-2001, 06:53 AM
I'm in the process of gathering information for building up a new 350/383 SBC to replace the 5.0 in my 18. As soon as I finish up the new siding-windows-and roof on my house, that is!

My question to you guys is this: what is the best all around marine ignition for the small block chevy? My current engine is equipped with the Thunderbolt V, about which I have read mixed reviews. Is the rev limiter able to be programmed with this ignition system? Should I keep what I have, or get an all-new system for my new engine?

Since I'll be running an Alpha, huge torque and horsepower numbers are out of the question, as are astronomical revs. I'm looking for a good all around ignition capable of supporting 350-400 horsepower at around 5000 rpm's, which also won't break the bank. What do you all suggest?

Looped
06-08-2001, 07:32 AM
Riley,
350 - 400hp could do more than break the bank, it will probably break that Alpha too. It's recommended that 300hp be about the limit for an Alpha to handle. It might be able to handle it if you baby the crap out of it for little while. At the same time you should up grade to a Bravo 1. IT should be the same transom hole but two added boltholes threw the transom I believe.

Just a thought,
Craig

jaroot
06-08-2001, 07:35 AM
I'd have to lean toward MSD. They offer a good marine package. The distributor is nearly bulletproof, their electronics are some of the best... 10 years of torturing their products in the NHRA Super Stock ranks and we havn't been able to hurt anything. I am sure some of the newer products on the market probably rival MSD and i've heard that there are a few new ignition systems that actually may provide added gains over MSD but the question is... do they offer it in a marine application? as for the Thunderbolt V, the rev limiter is set inside the control module at 50 rpm above the max WOT rpm... have no idea if it can be changed in the logic or not. The module also sets total spark advance and curve and controls idle speed of the motor. your new motor and the 305 won't have much in common... an adjustable ingition system would be a good deal to get the most out of the engine...

Forrest
06-08-2001, 09:44 AM
After Memorial Day weekend in my Magnum, I don't recommend a Pertronix (http://www.pertronix.com/) points conversion kit. I'm running Mallory distributors with Pertronix kits and MSD boxes and this setup has always worked well until then. On my way in from Dog Island in 3 to 6 footers in the Gulf of Mexico when the cheap piece-of-crap plastic magnet-ring, which is located in the distributor, decided to come apart and leave me with one engine about eight miles from the dock. We were able to make about 5 MPH all the way back with waves poping over the sides and bow. NO fun. A few days later, once I figured out what happened, I called Pertronix to order a new one. The gave me a big run-around and told me that I couldn't order the part directly form them, but had to get it from a Pertonix dealer, who by the way is in Miami, and who has to order it from Pertornix in California, and then ship it to me from Miami. All of this sounds to me like a two-week turn-around and it has been just over a week now.

I would recommend Mallory Marine (magnetic trigger), Crane, or MSD, though I have heard reports that the MDS distributor tends not to be very resistant to corrosion.

Good luck

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 06-11-2001).]