PDA

View Full Version : CD Player Recommendation

Dvo
09-22-2002, 11:23 AM
My 22 Classic came with a Clarion M5680 CD player
it performed well for 2 seasons, then the drive/ transport went up. Under my Z Care the broken CD player was replaced with the Clarion M5675, which
sounded great, but turned up with the same problems within two weeks. My marine dealer replaced it with another M5675 last week. This unit didn't last more than an hour without having skipping and eject problems, even when stopped. Have any of you Classic owners had similar experiences with their Clarion head units? Do have any recommendations on another head unit that can take the apparent punishment that a Donzi Classic can deliver? What is Donzi shipping on their current Classics?
Thanks, Dvo

harbormaster
09-22-2002, 11:33 AM
My cd player lasted 2 outings.

HyperDonzi
09-22-2002, 11:51 AM
ok, so a cd player breaking is normal. Has anyone ever thought about an mp3 player instead of a cd player? http://www.mteweb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MTE&Category_Code=CMP

Ive noticed that the ones with no moving parts wont skip. (I have jumped out of my bedroom window on the second story onto a trampoline and it didnt skip!) After 2 years, it is still strong.

Rootsy
09-22-2002, 12:06 PM
I have a kenwood in the 16. 3 seasons thus far and not so much as a hiccup...

Tidbart
09-22-2002, 02:27 PM
I asked a similar question last year after destroying my alpine head unit. I think alot of boats are now coming with Sony head units. I went and bought one. In the meantime I had put in a used Alpine that I got off Ebay. I can't seem to kill the Alpine, so the Sony is still in the box. Go figure.
Bob

cummins
09-23-2002, 08:47 AM
Mine is fine the new 2003 have sony's in them. :D

Cummins

Ranman
09-23-2002, 08:55 AM
I have an Alpine. NHot a marine version. I beat the crap out of it and it just keeps playing and playing. Hell, if the water is mildly calm, I'll listen to it while I'm underway with no problems. I do run a healthy Rockford amp though too.

Dvo
09-23-2002, 07:04 PM
Appreciate all the responses, they give some options to explore with my dealer on the Clarion replacement. I have had similarly good experiences with Alpine and Sony head units in my trucks. Also, liked the novel idea of using a MP3 player by HyperBaja. Thanks. Dvo

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-23-2002, 07:26 PM
Shipped from Donzi with a SONY Explode, no problems at all, even after busting itself loose from the cheesy aluminum bracket she was installed with!
She is now there firm with a stainless steel bracket. No issues.
Bryan

Ranman
09-23-2002, 08:31 PM
I would think an MP3 player for a boat would be slick. No need to find a place for a 10 disc changer that would surely break anyway. With an MP3 player, you can load up 1 disc with hours of music and be done. Plus they'll play your regular CD's too.

blackhawk
09-23-2002, 11:41 PM
I have a Sony Xplode CD player, 10 disc changer, 4 6.5" 3 ways, 760 watt 5 channel amp and a 10" sub.

It has worked flawlessly for 3 seasons(just added the amp and sub this year) until the last time out the changer quit working. But I am not complaining. That thing has taken a beating. I have skipped it twice in 3 seasons. At 60 mph never misses a beat.

It still has power just won't read the CD's. I need to take it out and clean it anyway. If I can't find the obvious wrong with it I will replace it with another Sony for sure!