PDA

View Full Version : Gel vs hardiner

raritan
06-06-2001, 07:02 PM
I had some gel tinted to match my boat but I dont know what the ratio is of resin to hardiner. Can anybody help

marcdups
06-06-2001, 07:20 PM
raritan, gel coat at 77 degrees f should use 16 drops per ounce, did you have wax added to the gel? if not you will have to add wax or use a barrier for the gel to dry, i be happy to answer any more ???'s you may have.
Marc

north of the equator

marcdups
06-06-2001, 07:22 PM
raritan, gel coat at 77 degrees f should use 16 drops per ounce, did you have wax added to the gel? if not you will have to add wax or use a barrier for the gel to dry, i be happy to answer any more ???'s you may have.
Marc

north of the equator

raritan
06-06-2001, 07:23 PM
Didnt add wax. Tell me more about the barrier. And whatever help you can give me.
At this point I have a small cup of resin and a tube of catalyst. No instructions at all.

marcdups
06-06-2001, 08:54 PM
if you did not add wax you need to shield the gel coat from air when u are done with the repair either by a plastic shield or adding wax or spraying a sealer, what repairs are u trying to do?????? Marc

raritan
06-06-2001, 09:29 PM
I am trying to repair some minor dings and scrapes. Nothing bigger then a silver dollar. Advice is appreciated

marcdups
06-10-2001, 11:11 AM
how deep are thet, at first you may want to run to you ship store and get some cabosil to thicken the gel so it becomes a putty, easier to fill and work with, see if they have some PVA to seal the gel, get a preval sprayer it works great for that, fill the nicks and gouges and seal, wet sand starting with 400 grit wet sand with soap and water mix , use the 400 to knock down imperfections and the 600 to 1000. now if you have minor imperfections we may have to redo the process or if you feel that spraying will fill the holes, we will go through that process, if they are not deep or upside down you may be able to just use gel, I would recommend sanding the area around the areas prior to repairing.
Good luck

Marc
P.S;you can call me if you wish at 919 669 9804