PDA

View Full Version : Board clean-up

CDMA
09-04-2001, 10:23 AM
I am not sure if I am out of place saying this but I think we as a club of sorts need to look closely at some aspects of this site. Being a long time member, despite my age, I went away for the summer and noticed a lot of changes.

Look around at other high performance boat sights. What sets us apart from them is the calliber of our people. As Mike Miller has always said we are a Donzi family. I personally think that a lot of us ( some more than others) need to think very carefully before we post. Back in the day when the board was run by Jim Cancil and the primary memebers were Rick R, Gene D, Emmo, Forrest, Scott, Paul O ,Geoo, Howard O Frank C, and all the other memebers I have omitted there was always an attiude of kindness and genuine caring. Insults and negative comments were non existant. I think we need to work back towards this. There is no need for the insults and verbal sparring that has recently become more prevalent. I say we just drop it and enjoy our boats and the knoweledge we share.

Also it appears to me that a lot of people have forgotten all the work Scott has put into this site. Without him where would we be. He is the one that deserves the thanks and praise for putting all of this together. Lets not forget the yearly check ( if you can) to him to try to offset the considerable time and money he has put into our hobby.

If anyone agrees with what I have said please speak up and lets try to fix it.

Best regards to the best members around

Chris

Forrest
09-04-2001, 11:18 AM
I've been away for the weekend. Chris did I miss something? Anyway, back in those days you could count the total number of board members on two hands. Now we have an astounding 750+ members who all have something to say. No doubt with all of those folks crammed into one room there may be some misunderstanding between some members from time to time. No big deal, just stay cool, give a good honest reply if you want to do that, and don't worry about it too much. I'm sure that if someone gets totally out of control the harbormaster will give them the zap, or if the case warrents, the ping of death! Just whatever you do, don't resort to playing down and dirty with the star rating. :eek:

RickR
09-04-2001, 11:29 AM
YEP!!!

And how about using some Instant Graemlins
:) :( :o :D ;) :p :rolleyes: instead of the profanity.
Some of us OLD FOLKS are offended by the 4 letter words.

We need the disenting opinions to keep us on our toes and question our own ideas. I've had my foot in my mouth a few times :rolleyes:

Be NICE! And play like adults!

Scott Pearson
09-04-2001, 12:13 PM
I agree... Its not like it use to be. Scot has always done an outstanding job.I'm sure he has enough on his plate then to worry about what is said and how it is said on the board. So it is up to all of us to make it right. We should all respect each other and treat each other like we like to be treated.

Nuff Said....

(NJ)Scott

Moody Blu'
09-04-2001, 04:03 PM
I wonder who Cdma had in mind when he posted this topic?

:rolleyes:

FO get about it

CDMA
09-04-2001, 05:29 PM
I point no fingers and WILL NEVER. Just trying to raise a point I feel that is valid. Maybe it is just me but am I missing a star now too....great...

Anyone have any opinions on the star rating system. I just can't figure how Big Grizzly isn't a 4 star memeber and neither am I. Oh well

Chris

On another note where have madpoodle and Geno dissappeared to?

PaulO
09-04-2001, 05:35 PM
I agree. I have been away playing with Non-Donzis!!. I too notice a difference. Let's try to keep it clean and friendly. There are plenty of other boards out there if you want to talk trash. Everyone here is proud of their boats and many need some assistance from the "old timers" just as I did a few years ago when I first came here. BTW, thanks again to all you boat nuts for all the great support and answers to my dumb questions. There is no other group like this one.
PaulO

Sagbay32
09-04-2001, 05:40 PM
Like I said last week.......This is a site about boats and boating if you start to read something you don't like leave the thread and don't resort to posting a negative comment. If all so called humor isn't followed up with negativeness, it will dissapear.
I go to OSO for my humor and I come here to learn about my Donzi. I spend a lot more time on this site than I do on OSO!

Please lets drop this and rejoin with "The Family" ;)

BigGrizzly
09-04-2001, 08:07 PM
Chris I stopped thinking on the star thing before it started. The only reason I'm here is to give my hard earned and expensive knowlege. If i can save sombody a buck or two then I will. I have many friends in the engine building industry, some are corner stones and pioners of it. I no longer do it for a living so profit isn't my bag.
What does bothers me is some people ask questions, but arn't willing to work for some answers on there own.
Everyone must remember their boat is special to them, its part of their family (at least while they own it).
To answer the question were you out of place starting this thread. No it needed to be done. I know I speak for several on this point. This is a infiormation board, not who can make the most posts on a thread and say nothing board.

Randy

boldts
09-04-2001, 08:17 PM
Everyone,

I'm only chiming in because when I found this site, it was a gift from heaven for me. The Midwest Donzi Club would be me wishing I had other Donzi owners to talk to if it were not for this web site. In Ohio, I'm lucky to see 1 other Donzi on the local lakes all summer. In May, we held the Awakening of the Horses gathering on Lake Cumberland and I met so many fellow Donzi owners. I was so high on life that weekend and for many months after. Everyone who owns a Donzi has a special part of history in their hands. Some like mine still need to be restored. (Chris?) Many have been completely restored and even some with performance enhancing parts. You all are some of the most ingenious people I have ever met. To listen to you talk or read what you write is why I come to this site daily. To listen to Frank C. explain to someone why their slotted bottom ZX spun out in a turn and how to prevent it is knowledge that can't be found anywhere else. You know, I see performance boats that are built by a number of other companies on the lake every weekend, they are fine boats and I always would like to have the performance that these boats have, but, no offense, they are a dime a dozen. Most of the time, these high rollers are looking at my Donzi just has hard as I'm looking at their boat. We as Donzi owners represent Donzi Marine. We should act and talk as if we own the company. Maybe some day when someone refers to an offshore boat, the word Donzi will be said first vs the word Cigarette. The same designer created both of these boats and we should be proud but not arrogant owners. Sorry, all, I can't keep any post short due to my passion for the boat that has given me so many wonderful moments in life. :)

RedDog
09-04-2001, 08:23 PM
Ypu are all right - but on a lighter side - Big Griz - I note from your post "... I'm here is to give my hard earned and expensive knowlege." Whoa - do I have an invoice in the mail due to your recent guidance to me on gear lubes? Can we set up a pay on time arrangement?

Oh - you meant EXTENSIVE :D

Never mind....

Have Fun - Thanks to All

Ride On!

Be Cool!

Shanghied Again
09-04-2001, 09:43 PM
Chris. I was with the board from the begining, I have grown very close to many of my Donzi brothers through the years and have traveled long distances to be there. All this is because of this site and the boats that bring us together, Donzi. I started with a classic in 1996. When Harbormaster took over, he refined and made the site what it is today a work of art. Scot deserves a great deal of thanks, I am so proud of being a part of everyones life, That I didn't think twice about jumping in my truck and towing my boat to Kentucky to be with everyone. We have become a family with in our own. I coudn't wait to meet so many of you. My wife thinks I am a little crazy? But hey she is right next to me traveling across the country. I dont know what I would do if we didn't have this great board and all the great friends we made through the years.
Frank Civitano
And Family :) :) :) :)

Digger
09-05-2001, 08:35 PM
just to add a couple more cents worth, from the "newbie's" perspective:
this truly is a great website, full of great information, populated by those who share a great passion. I've been all over the site and I was immediately impressed by the quality and overall civility of the posts and discussions. You folks with the low member numbers, take heart, and take an opinion from my fresh perspective...this site and what it represents is a great thing!

'nuff said

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-05-2001, 08:52 PM
I think the board is fine, I owe allot to the saltier guys and new guys alike, especially since my first boat was my ZX, you guys have given me great advice, wisdom and a few warnings!!!
Thanks to you all, to many to mention by name...

I consider this board my outlet for boating when not boating, I read every post, regardless of topic, sometimes an off the wall subject will have a hidden post of value to me.

Lastly CDMA and GRIZ I rate you both 5 stars, CDMA nice restore, Griz, your a wealth of knowledge.... and always good for a chuckle...

There is my dime, big spender at times....
Bryan

GEOO
09-05-2001, 09:32 PM
:rolleyes: :D :D :rolleyes:

Dr. Dan
09-05-2001, 09:48 PM
Well, I think it's a credit to the quality of the people here on this board and to the patient and educated veterans of Donzi and boating in general that we all learn from and respect each other enough to care about discussing this topic.(WoW long Sentence) I support the board, I would be lost without it, and I have learned from so many of you in my short tenure, I'm proud to be a member, and I will always welcome you all as my extended family. I agree with the sentiments above and like any family,we sometimes will have growing pains, and we'll move on and learn from them as well, after all were family...keep the faith, it's all good! Safe Boating ...Looking forward to our next "Reunion" ...Doc :cool:

GeneD
09-06-2001, 12:34 AM
Wow!
Once again you guys bring a tear to my eye, and it really does feel great to be part of the Donzi Family.
I have always said we are the gentleman and gentlewomen of the powerboating websites.
Here here!
A toast to manners.

Desert Fox
09-06-2001, 04:51 AM
I'm fairly new to the site but most appreciative. In reading all the replies to the "clean-up" suggestion, the work of the gentleman who tends this site was first mentioned then lost. I intendj to send a contribution, however, is there a reason (I'm sure diiscussed in the past before my intrusion) why each person granted a displayed name is not expected, in a gentleman's agreement or as a reqirement, top send a minimum yearly contribution to stay "on board"??

GEOO
09-06-2001, 06:38 AM
madpoodle, You read my mind!! You saved me a post. This is a Family not a chat site.
GEOO

roadtrip se
09-06-2001, 09:48 AM
Stirring things up in a clean way is a whole lot tougher than just throwing down some raw language. Everybody likes a good, juicy discussion with lots of opinions. This is an open forum, not open season. I am very proud to be associated with the Donzi clan, having owned several other boat types. There just isn't any other community out there like this one, so please respect the decorum.
For those of you who are fairly new to the site, plan on attending a gathering soon. You will see for yourself what this board stands for and the people that frequent here... Todd

Bandit
09-06-2001, 10:07 AM
HEREHERE...HEARHEAR...A....BEERBEER for the Goodfellows on the website and taking a stand!!!

PaulO
09-06-2001, 10:19 AM
I vote for MadPoodle as the "voice of reason"
PaulO

Desert Fox
09-06-2001, 06:08 PM
No one commented on the thought of a minimum contribution from every member with a displayed name. Perhaps those members with longer "time in" would contribute less on a stepped or "level basis".. No takers.... Scott appears to be to much of a gentleman to comment....

oldLenny
09-06-2001, 07:18 PM
Why doesn't everyone throw in say $75 into a "pot". There are 750-ish members as of now. That equates to $56,250.00. Then we hold a draw for a "NEW" Classic 18. $20,000 US goes to the Harbourmaster and the rest to Ricks' dad who will supply the boat.

Oh,...and I almost forgot. The names will all go into a hat and I will conduct the draw in Victoria, B.C. (Canada)
Then I will let everyone know who won... :rolleyes:

CDMA
09-06-2001, 07:39 PM
I have actually thought about that. I would be all for chipping in some serious $$$ to get scott something REALLY nice. Even if we got 250 members at $50-100 we could get something real nice.

Chris

PaulO
09-07-2001, 03:22 PM
Up the ante and make the prize a new 22 classic and I am in!
PaulO

harbormaster
09-07-2001, 03:32 PM
That would be very cool!

Sounds kinda crazy at first, but you know it could quite possibly work. I bet it would get us a lot of publicity.

If we could not get a boat, maybe a new Mercruiser drivetrain.

or airfare, hotel and tour of the Donzi factory.

or even where the winner get cash.

We could open an account that required 3 signatures so that no one could skip with the money.

hmmmmmmmm.....

RickSE
09-07-2001, 04:22 PM
You'd have to make sure you raised enough money to cover the cost of the item being raffled off. Some raffles are setup this way. If they don't raise a certain amount of money by a certain date, then the raffle is off, and everyone gets a refund. Some of the Hot Rod magazines have done it in the past, for cars, and probably raised a lot of money.

lou
09-07-2001, 05:18 PM
Set up a paypal account , sell tickets at $25 each and base the prize on the amount of money that you collect. Half goes to the donzi.net site the other half is the prize. Make the drawing in three months and update what the prize amount is daily. Let the winner determine what they will do with the money. Now the only thing you need is to determine who will draw the winning number .

oldLenny
09-07-2001, 05:40 PM
:D :D :D Lou, like I said, I have some spare time and when the time draws near I can do the draw in the privacy of my bedroom and then I will let EVERYONE know who won... :D :D :D

Formula Jr
09-07-2001, 05:40 PM
This is THE BEST FREAKEN IDEA I have ever read on this board. Set it up, I'm in.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell069.gif

oldLenny
09-07-2001, 07:43 PM
I can't believe that I used up "my only and first real good idea" here on this website...

Oh well, I could use a new 22 CLASSIC 'cuz that's about what the moneys' collected over a few months will end up at and then some! Then we can "paint", "The Classic Donzi Registry" on the side of it and tour with all the Kinsmen's and Gizeh Temple dudes. Can someone design a good Gizeh/Donzi hat? The tassle should be at the back for obvious reasons.

Owen, I LIKE the new signature. One question...Is that Salt water that you got the air off of? and if so...GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Formula Jr
09-07-2001, 08:14 PM
Len, thats just what we got on the camera. You would not believe the airtimes we all got on Lake Washington. 8/10ths runs all day! Now behind Hat Island on the sound, was special, had to check to see if Elvis had left the building.....that dog is never going to forgive me. :D

As to the civility of this board, I pray we can keep it clean. The donzi family is a big place, but I think the rules of language and attitude were set down long ago that this was going to be a class act open to all with a passion for Donzi and Big Water. The quality of people I've met here is first tier. Easy welcomes and open doors that only come from self-assured, secure, open people, who get regular doses of pure, natural adrenaline thru their boats. Necktar of the Gods.

oldLenny
09-07-2001, 08:50 PM
I can't get "this image" out of my head!

Henry, in back, you get your timing right, launch on a 3 footer, the dog (unaware) flies upward about 8 feet, then "leaves the building", then does three or four double "sowkows" a double axle, triple toe and hits the water at 40!

We are lucky that they are our BEST FRIENDS!

You have to animate a cartoon of this
soon... :)

Shanghied Again
09-07-2001, 09:53 PM
Thats a great Idea. That will help the board out and will make one of us very happy indeed and get Ricks dad a sale all in one shot ;)

roadtrip se
09-07-2001, 11:26 PM
Poor Henry... I'm calling the SPCA right now!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way, you make that raffle prize a new 22SE and I am in. Todd

harbormaster
09-08-2001, 10:49 AM
Is everyone serious about the raffle?
I can go start a special account for it and set up paypal this next week. Let me know

RickS. Email me if your dad can get us a boat when we have the cash. I also need to know how much cash to come up with.

Moody Blu'
09-08-2001, 11:04 AM
where will the raffle be held?

I dont think you would want to much publicity.
raffles are illegal if you dont have a gambling liscence.
Unless your a non-profit organization or religious.
Heck we can say we are a religious cult that worships donzis!

sounds nice, count me in!

HOWARD O
09-08-2001, 11:14 AM
I remember "back in the day". The site has come a long way and I still lurk, although hardly contribute anymore. I still write Michael Slavin once in a while, the original webmaster so long ago.

I am now the webmaster of a fairly large dirtbiking site (3000+ members) and I know what it takes and what Scott goes through to keep the board running well.

Our position on our site is 3 strikes and you're out. That goes for insults, vulgarity, spamming....what have you. We have about 3 moderators per forum and rules are strictly enforced.

Anyway, it's a real pleasure to see all the information that's obtainable from this site! Back in the day, we could hardly get any help from Donzi themselves while restoring our boat and it was through this site that we were able to garner the info....and it wasn't easy back then!

Thanks for mentioning my name, Chris, it's good to see that the old times are still remembered!

Keep up the great work, Scott! :)

And hey!!!! How long does one need to be a member to get rid of the Junior Member status? Sheesh!!! :rolleyes:

oldLenny
09-08-2001, 11:17 AM
:) Good idea SKYBLUE...We'll just keep this "our little secret" on the NET...

HP 600SC
09-08-2001, 02:03 PM
Good one LEN! HA Ha ha!

Desert Fox
09-08-2001, 09:42 PM
Well, the suggestion of an minimum fee sure stopped the talk short!!

Moody Blu'
09-08-2001, 10:24 PM
How bout we just build a 22' classic from the ground up, once we have enough money.

We would probably get ALOT more out of the money if we built one.
I know alot of people that would buy raffles.

lets see 22' classic, bravo drive, supercharged 502, gaffrig gauges, paint job and inspection of the hull.

It should be a custom paint job, done to the specs of whoever wins it!

Let whoever wins it get to name it(as long as the hull wasnt named already).

RickSE
09-08-2001, 11:41 PM
My dad wouldn't mind doing it as long as his costs were covered. We had a guy who wanted to raffle off a 16 back in 1999 but it never happened.

Do you really think we could raise enough money for a new classic and still have extra money? Maybe raffle off a 2002 16 Classic??

harbormaster
09-08-2001, 11:42 PM
RickS,
Let me know what we would have to come up with as foar as costs

RickSE
09-08-2001, 11:47 PM
I'll contact my dad and get back with you Scot.

oldLenny
09-09-2001, 01:17 AM
RickS...Yes Yes Yes, you will. The 22, I don't think so. A new 18 is within reach (not mine mind you) a 16 would definately be. I don't think the "prize boat" has to be a 45 ZX, triple. It has to be at least the minimum to stimulate interest.

I don't know how "this" comment is going to fly, but a "bug" in the ear to members of O.S.O would certainly up the ante' here! I don't know of anyone that wouldn't want a DONZI if they could afford one and a near free one?...easy math. :eek:

GeneD
09-09-2001, 09:45 AM
Holy smokes!
Howard O...how're ya doing old timer????
You know, everyone, that I had a pic of Howard's boat on my screen saver (when I worked, ages ago it seems) as inspiration on my resto.
Geez, how is the old girl anyway?

TRU-JACK
09-09-2001, 09:54 AM
Please count me in ;)

Great idea!!!!

Forrest
09-10-2001, 10:09 AM
HOWARD O!!! welcome back!!! You have never been a jr. member with any of us. For those who don't know, Howard O is probably the first person to find donzi.net on the web and post pictures - long before it was at www.donzi.net (http://www.donzi.net)

Shanghied Again
09-10-2001, 09:02 PM
Howard!!

Were have you been man? Long time no here from? Do you still have the Donzi? :D