PDA

View Full Version : Where do I go next?

CDMA
09-04-2001, 09:43 AM
Alright guys the testing goes on. I spent all weekend running around in various sea/ load conditions. As some of you know I am really picky about how my boat handles. Most people just want to go fast and while I like that too I want vice free handling with no suprises. As most of you know I went from a left hand volvo last year to a right hand alpha this year. While the alpha is far superior with regards to power steering and trim the rh prop and lh steering thing really bothers me. When I drive my boat in a reasonable manner it is fine. But I rigged my boat to run ( bigger transom, stringers, fiberglass reinforcement etc) and the times when it is a little snooty out and I am alone and the boat starts to get a little airborne I quickly miss my lh prop. So I have outlined a list of possible things I am considering. Your feedback as always is appreciated.

1.) Leave it alone. Enjoy, run, be a little conservative. Concentrate on school.

2.) Add tabs and a round ear prop to carry the bow a little better. I know this is the set up Scott has and he claims is great I just still worry about not getting the handling I am looking for. I have issues with possibly " masking" the problem as opposed to fixing it. The fact Scott has the highest standards says a lot for this option.

3.) Get a lh alpha drive. According to my " drive guys" the lh alpha is not even as strong as the rh version. It has 5 or so more bearings and moving parts. They very much tried to push me away from it however this is just the opinion of 2 people. It really would be easy. $800 for a rebuilt lower and call it a day. This option while attractive does not instill confidence. I already do cross my fingers everytime I go out.

4.) Switch my perfectly painted, restored barrelback, original ( basically) looking boat to rh steering...I dunno if I could do it.

5.) Bite the bullet scrape and claw for $$$ to get to a Bravo. This is really where I think I am going to eventaully going so why not just go there how... I guess it just is the $$$. School budget is really tight. But if this is what will be the best maybe I just have to find a way to get there.

A couple questions regarding a bravo 18...

Is the extra weight really a detriment?
Will the increased lower unit size really slow my down or hurt handling?

And finally does anyone have a rh steering 18 alpha, or a 18 bravo they would be willing to let me ride in or possibly drive? I would be willing to drive quiet a distance with my 18 in tow to get a side by side comparision.

Well I guess that is it for now.
Thanks again everyone.

Chris

PaulO
09-04-2001, 10:26 AM
Just move the steering you big baby!! ;)

CDMA
09-04-2001, 10:36 AM
Paul,

I just can't
I just can't

I am so tired of grinding and painting. I am shooting for bolt together.

Thanks for the ride yesterday.

Chris

RickR
09-04-2001, 11:18 AM
Have you moved gear and hardware (battery anchor etc) to the right side.
How about taking your girlfriend out for some fast food to put a little weight on :eek:.

The difference in weight between the Bravo and Alpha is around 80Lbs. That would move your COG back a few inches which would require a faster cruising speed or less trim to prevent porpising.

Youknow how I feel, I've advocated from day one you switch over to RH steering :rolleyes: If your going to keep the 350 under 325HP I'd switch the steering over to RH. Surely you can come up with a nice looking dash panel and a small combing panel to cover the holes.
Only cost would be for the remote control.
Helm and old cables should fit depending on your steering mechanism.

CDMA
09-04-2001, 11:39 AM
Rick,

All the accessories are already on the starboard side. Hmmmm not to sure the girlfriend would be all for the fast food idea but I will pass it by her. ;)

In retrospect I should have switched to rh steering in the beginning and dropped the Volvo to start. I do have some nostalgic feeling for the steering but it more is the paint. It took me FOREVER to paint my boat and while it was a great experience I am not quiet ready to do it again. IT just looks too good to take a random orbital too. I am trying to alter the look of my boat as little as possible. Maybe if it was a 70's or 80's boat but it is a 68 barrelback. I just don't know. However I very much apprecite all the input and if everyone else things switching the steering is the way to go maybe I need to re evaluate my thoughts.
Chris

Scott Pearson
09-04-2001, 11:53 AM
Chris,
Keep it the same...Dont switch the steering over. You will have to get a new Steering cable and New throttle and shifter Cables also.

Can you make it to Lake George this Friday, Saturday or Sunday? I will be there all 3 days and you are more then welcome to take my boat out for a blast. I'm sure you will be impressed on the way it handles.

(NJ)Scott

BigGrizzly
09-04-2001, 01:43 PM
One option you havn't mentioned yet. That is AR planes. They are from fastmotorsports.com.
Geoo turned me on to them, they work great in heavy water. They reaally plant the boat and takr the listing out when you run high trim. they are expensive, but good quality.
The Bravo is about 2mph slower than the Alpha. Hydromotive eng. did a test on it. Weight isn't the problem it is the hydrodynamics. Hope this helps. Don't flip the wheel -too much hassel. One other altermative =Always take the girlfriend with you .

Randy

CDMA
09-04-2001, 06:37 PM
Scott,

I just may make it to Lake George. Without my boat but I would love a ride.

Grizz,

That looks promising. Stiff shot but if it works. I will try to get in touch with them...

Chris

Ranman
09-04-2001, 06:45 PM
CDMA, I own a 97 18 with a Bravo. You're more than welcome to test drive it any time you happen to make it to MI.

Randy

Scott Pearson
09-04-2001, 07:25 PM
Chris,
Let me know, I'm staying at Treasure Cove.

(NJ)Scott

BigGrizzly
09-04-2001, 07:39 PM
With the AR plans on when you come out of the water you don't have to correct the wheel. The designer name is Shane. We have talked at great lengts, he knows his stuff. The best part is they come off easily. I use them in rough water and offshore then take them off for prop testing. Cuts down on the varables. I had them on for Cumberland and had no problems.

Randy

boldts
09-04-2001, 07:39 PM
Chris,

Last summer in order to run a stainless prop on my Volvo 250 drive, I had to switch to a right hand prop. Like your application, I have left hand steering and when running by myself, I get a list to the left. I have moved all my gear for the most part to the right side. When my wife Beth rides with me the boat runs straight and true. My father's machine shop helped me move the trim bar on the drive out away from the transom to get more trim and get the bow up out of the water a little more. Personally, until I can find or have made a left hand stainless prop, I'll live with the list. My boat has no trim tabs and other than the list, doesn't need them. Of course here is why some may say my application does not compare to yours. My 250 and SB Ford are not pushing my boat in the 60 MPH range. Maybe if it were, I'd be itching to fix her also. I guess it is like moving the steering wheel in your auto to the right side. You just don't see that many left hand steering boats and I like it because when I get out of my truck, I get into my Classic and it drives on the same side. It's a personnel thing. Good luck with your discission. She's a beautiful Donzi Barrel Back and you've worked hard and many hours to bring her back to life. How's the Arneson 22' Classic project going?