PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Trim Tabs (that's annoying)

Bad Dog
09-04-2001, 09:19 AM
So on the lake this weekend by trim tabs get stuck. Very annoying considering they got stuck while I was wakeboarding with the boat at full starboard tilt.

I added fluid, but no luck. I figure it's either the motor or something electronic in the switch.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

BTW, both tabs don't work.

Bret

mattyboy
09-04-2001, 10:03 AM
Bad Dog,
I would verify the switches(multimeter)and while you're at it check all the wiring something might have loosened up or come off.
just thinking out loud both tabs don't work, could both port and starboard switches go bad at once(maybe?) or could a gnd or common wire that both switches use have come off? if the wiring and switches prove ok look at the pump end. you might want to state the make and model I'm sure the guys out there might have more info on trouble shooting

Matt

RickR
09-04-2001, 11:51 AM
Most tab pumps just pump the tab DOWN. They release pressure to let the SPRING loaded actuator move the tab back UP.

If they are stuck DOWN, in a emergency you can loosen the fittings in the engine compartment to let the fluid bleed off.

Formula Jr
09-04-2001, 12:21 PM
Bad Dog, need more information.
Type of Switch? Rockers? Joystick? Buttons?
Brand of Tab system. Bennett?
Type of Pump Unit. 351? It's written on the reservour.

The valves are normally closed. They click open under power.
The motor can spin both directions, suck and push but if you have the
button or rocker control switched you can blow a fuse if you don't have
an interruptor box and hit up and down at the same time. The joystick is designed so this can't happen.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-04-2001, 04:34 PM
Only since I have became an expert this week, Bennetts have an inline fuse on their hot wire (orange).
If you have dual rockers and an interupt module, by pass the interupt module and see if that is the culprit.

Also, the main ground if just a little loose will stop all operation.

Good luck, Bryan