PDA

View Full Version : *****Lenny Car trouble.*****Updated!

harbormaster
09-22-2002, 10:25 AM
Lenny called this morning from Burlington Colorado on the Kansas border. The 1979 Chevy van had problems last night. The dash lights went out. For some reason the system is not charging the battery. The alternator and battery are new.

The headlights are bright and the van starts fine.

Assuming there is nothing wrong with the the battery or alternator, what could be the source of the problem? Please do not reply with "A short somewhere". What we are looking for is an idea where the short or problem could be...

Anyone live near burlington Colorado???

http://www.donzi.net/photos/colorado.jpg

Gearhead99
09-22-2002, 11:05 AM
Scott,

Assuming it is a full size Chevy Van. Couple things to check.

Behind battery there are some connections at the firewall that go bad from the battery not being held down and bouncing against them. These are directly behind the battery. Also, check the stupid GM battery cable connections. They go bad all the time under the 5/16 bolt.

If they seem OK I would then look at the wiring for the trailer hitch. The dash light and tail lamps are on the same circuit. So, you know you don't have tail lamps. Many people and hitch places do a crappy job of hooking up the pig tail and you end up with a short.

Just cause battery and alternator are new, doesn't mean they are OK. Like the Discount Auto Parts alternators are junk. At my shop I replace "New" alternators from Discount Auto Parts and Auto Zone every week.

There is a start. Let me know if you find out anything else.

AVickers
09-22-2002, 11:45 AM
If headlights are bright and car starts, then it's getting a charge and the battery posts are fine. Press on...

It's just not getting current to some parts of the system. I'd check the fuses. If that's not the problem, I'd look at the headlight, parking light and dashdimmer switches and the connectors.

harbormaster
09-22-2002, 12:26 PM
Another call from Lenny.

The wiring harness shorted against the exhaust manifold and melted the fusible links. They fixed the shorts and hardwired without the links until they can get somewhere to replace them. They are Rollin' again!!!!

More installments as they become available.

ToonaFish
09-22-2002, 12:46 PM
Just heard on the Weather Channel... Hurricane Lenny has overcome his topical depression over power lines failing and has achieved full strength, heading towards the Gulf of Mexico.

The Bowtie Gods, willing.

Formula Jr
09-22-2002, 04:34 PM
It wouldn't be a real x-country experience with out alittle road side rigging. Harbor master, please impress upon Len the absolute need to replace the fuse links before hooking up the trailer lights. And while he is at the auto-store, have him pick up a spare HD flasher unit. Is he calling on his cell, or landline? Just need to know if its his cell phone.

harbormaster
09-22-2002, 09:48 PM
His cell does not work here. He is calling from truck stops.

oldLenny
09-23-2002, 03:03 PM
Ahhhhh,...trouble is my middle name...

I am now sitting here, drinking beer with the Harbourmaster, then we are going out into the lake to run the boat out a bit. Getting steaks for dinner, (beats the chips/coffee/and "gummie bears" we have been buying for 4 days at truck stops. :rolleyes: Can't believe my digestive system is still working. My co-pilots isn't :D

The truck problem, was the dimmer/high beam switch shorting out to the floor of the van and blowing the fuse link, then, the metal tube attached to the tranny that houses the starter wires and exciter circuit for the alternator shorted out at the base of the tube and blew the other fuse link. All got "fixed", (now there are no fuse links :D ) and we made it here. Great hospitality, nice place, good dog.

Gotta go, Gerry and I are going to putt around in the Gulf in Scots' 18 and wait for Isadore...