PDA

View Full Version : Resto update - pics

Jamesbon
06-05-2001, 10:12 PM
Whew! It's been messy, sweaty, dusty and fun as h*ll! The transom is ground smooth and just about ready for filling. The tank was lifted out tonight as well as the aft bulkhead. Glad I decided to pull that last bulkhead, as it was soaked to the core with water. Looks to me like the resin of 30 years ago didn't adhere to well to the wood. I read somewhere that thinning the first coat of resin will aid in saturating the wood. (I'll have to try that.)

I still need stringer/motor mounting ideas. My stringers are 33" apart....I may add a second pair (inside the existing pair) of stringers 24" apart extending from the transom to the first bulkhead or the bulkhead that seperates the tank from the engine. What do you think??? (feed my brain please....I'm open to suggestions)
Oh yeah, I may have to move the tank forward 5" or have one built thats 5" shorter to clear the crank pulley. Any objections there?

I plan to use marine ply for the triangular gussets which will attach to the bottom of the hull and the outside of the stringers all the way down the length of the boat. Still debating on synthetic material for the transom. I've also opted to use epoxy resin as opposed to polyester. (No smell, supposedly stronger...)

Anyway, here's a few pics I hope you can enjoy - learn from.

Nate

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1229726&a=12610062&p=49901323&Sequence=0

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1229726&a=12610062&p=49901324&Sequence=0

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1229726&a=12610062&p=49901325&Sequence=0

Bryan Tuvell
06-05-2001, 10:37 PM
I follow all your posts on the restore, keep them coming, pics too, I find them very informative.
Good Luck to you.... something tells me you will have one SWEET finished product.
Bryan

digitalMan
06-05-2001, 11:59 PM
You may want to check out this article before you thin your epoxy:

http://www.westsystem.com/webpages/epoxyworks/14/ThinningEpoxy.html

It seems that thinning the epoxy can actually decrease the water resistance.

Forrest
06-06-2001, 09:29 AM
Boy, that looks like fun in the hot Florida summer heat! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

If you are using polyester resin, be sure to thin it with styrene, not acetone . . . but do the mixing and lay-up outside. Styrene is some bad stuff. Also, Clear-Cote Corporation is in Clearwater. They are a big manufacturer of both epoxy and polyester resins and associated chemicals. They ought to be great source for supplies and info. I doubt that there isn't anything about fiberglass that they don't know.

------------------
Forrest

Donzigo
06-06-2001, 01:31 PM
Ilive in St. Pete. with the Z-25 red boat at the first Donzi gathering at Portofino. I remember meeting you. I have been restoring my Z-25 for six monthes with complete new stringers from the engine room,(which were done 2 years ago) to the front of the boat. I ground it down to the hull, had a new gas tank built by DLR in Gulfport. They do great work with anything metal the you need. I am at the stage of buffing out the last two sections of gelcoat and then it's finished. I'd love to see your boat. Looks like you are doing it right. Richard - 727-867-7020.

jwright
06-06-2001, 09:53 PM
Love the pics......

I think you will have good luck with the epoxy. Do not hesitate to call Gougeon for advice, they are great. I have worked with them alot in my job.
Be careful with the stringer gussets. You may create a crack in the hull shell when the bottom flexes ( I may not understand exactly what you intend to do though).
Another set of stringers in the engine room may work well, the important thing would be to fix to that fuel tank bulkhead..
Drop me a line if I can be of any help!

Jamesbon
06-07-2001, 09:00 AM
Fellas,
Thanks for your support!! I'm happy to share this stuff with you, and even happier that you're interested and can possibly learn something from it.

Richard,
I remember you, what's even funnier, is that I know your ?nephew? Shock. We hang out occasionally. I'll give you a holler this week. You're always welcome to stop by. On the same note, I'd like to see your boat and pick your brain a bit too.

Thanks Jwright. I think I will go ahead with the second set of stringers. My buddies Cigarette is laid out that way.

Last night I removed all but the forward most bulk head and cleaned up the foam where the tank was. She's starting to look a little better.

Below are a couple pics of a new 22 Classic still in the mold at the Donzi factory. (Taken from my tour a couple months ago) If you can visualize, this is what I intend to do with the gussets along the outside of my stringers.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1229726&a=12610062&p=46707094

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1229726&a=12610062&p=46707096

GEOO
06-07-2001, 10:13 AM
Nate,
I used Vinylester Resin. Stronger then normal resin not quit as strong as epoxy. I run my boat hard and (knock on wood) no problems with the new glass work. Number one rule is for every inch of old glass to be laminated too; must be ground down to raw glass. (I'm sure you already know this) The old resin has wax that floats to the surface and you need to grind it all away.
The tank and engine are moving forward? The drive does not create much if any bow lift. Is it possible to install two saddle tanks? Move CG back!! Where is the battery? Trim pump? Trim Tab Pump? Other accessories? Try and figure out a way to move more weight to the stern.
GEOO

Jamesbon
06-07-2001, 11:31 AM
Thanks George. Yeah, everywhere I'll be doing glass work is already or will be ground down with an industrial DeWalt grinder and 60 or 80 grit sanding wheels.

"CG" I was really stressing on this. That trans moves the engine forward a good bit. My tank is in need of repair or replacement anyway. Maybe saddle tanks would fit the bill. I'll make a couple calls today.

With little or no bow lift, I'm under the assumption that I should stuff everything I can into the stern. What about an extension box for the ASD? That would move the motor and trans back.....

gregdomzi
06-07-2001, 07:11 PM
Hello Jamasbon, I have used West System anywhere it touches wood. I'm starting to think this is overkill. That stuff is amazingly strong and adhears tremendously.
I'm glad to see people corageous enouph to take on these projects! My "free boat" Ha!,has got me all in the middle of that grinding, dust, mess etc... and it won't even be a Donzi when I'm done! I like it though, it is the Domzi in my family.
Good Luck - Greg Dominis
--- get it?

GEOO
06-08-2001, 08:11 AM
Nate,
I looked into an extension box when I did mine.
Rik, at Arneson Industries was working on one in Aluminum. You'll need to make it tall enough to catch the trim ram and add an extension mount on the steering ram too, this will keep everything on the same plane.

GEOO

Jamesbon
06-08-2001, 08:27 AM
GEOO,
I am forever indebted to you.

I suppose that's something I could have my local welder weld up. I'll give Rik a call @ Arneson industries, we've traded e-mails in the past...

As much work as this sounds like it is, I'd have to say I love every minute of it http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

CDMA
06-08-2001, 08:44 AM
James,

You design one I will go for one too. Price for 2 has to be better on something like that.

Chris

jwright
06-11-2001, 11:37 AM
I like the additional pics...

I would have thought they would have used 4 stringers instead of all those gussets. Another set of stringers would support the bottom better between the chine and main stringers. But, they have the experience with these hulls so I must be missing something...
Either way, I am sure it will turn out great!

Jamesbon
06-11-2001, 12:44 PM
Thanks Fellas!

CDMA,
Arneson Industries will make'em custom for your application @ $1500.00 ea. When I get closer, and if you're still interested, I'll see if I can negotiate a discount. Rik from Arneson will be posting pics on their website sometime in the near future. Once they're there, I'll let ya know.

Nate