PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Marine manifold help

Randy Hibbard
09-03-2001, 12:34 PM
Has anyone had a problem with port side clearance on the SBC Stainless Marine manifolds? My factory 1987 Merc power steering pump press line wo'nt fit. The line has a sharp 90 deg bend from the rear fitting but with only 1 inch of room between the pump housing and manifold, any type of hose or line wo'nt have room. I'm stuck with the merc brackets because they hold the alternator just below the pump. Relocation of the pump to the right side would be restricted by the fuel filter/mercathode assy. I wonder if some of you have a steering pump with a side port pressure fiting insted of my rear port model(Sagnaw I belive) I'll call Brownie this week, but I'm sure others had this problem. These are great looking manifolds with superb quality buy the way, and should preform well. Thanks for any help as allways! Randy H 1987 Minx 350/Alpha

harbormaster
09-03-2001, 10:13 PM
Randy send Allan (BROWNIE) Brown an email.

He has been around for quite some time and works for Stainless Steel Marine.

TORYSMINX
09-03-2001, 10:15 PM
Randy,

we are at the same point with our installations. I am doing it this tommorrow and let me check on this. Remember a saying that I use with this new motor... "everything is custom".Please email me and we will get it done becuase we have the exact same boat.I had to modify some stuff but it is coming along pretty well. The manifolds do look great I must add....

Greg
09-04-2001, 08:01 AM
Randy and Toryminx, could you guys please keep me informed on how you solve this? I have the long tube Stainless setup on a sbc and will be where you two are shortly. Thanks in advance, Greg

TORYSMINX
09-07-2001, 12:28 AM
ok I solved it for the moment..

I shimmed the power steering pump by 3/8 of an inche with 4 stainless washers for the 3/8' diameter bolts. I used very high grade washers and I realigned the pump and the alternator bracket. Fits very well with a t-square. I have not fired it yet but i will let you guys know by Sat. I have a 1/16 or an iche to spare with the hose now and she fits snug without touching the manifold. This process involved me getting my 250lb body inside the boat laying down so it is kind of a pain. I almost felt that i had to call the fire dept to get myself out but that is ok. I just used some power steering fluid on my shoulders to slip myself out. :D

email me if you still have the problem
Tory

Randy Hibbard
09-09-2001, 01:22 PM
Well, I talked to Brownie at Stainless Marine and it seems our own modifications are the only solution to the clearance problem. Glad to hear shiming woked out for you Tory. I took the main braket that bolts to the head and redrilled the holes to make the pump about a half inch outboard. Then went one size larger on the alt belt and used the original pump belt. This kept all belts and pulleys in the stock allignment. My clearance for the pump bolts and the pressure line are still very close, but looks good. I also used the picture of Tim Howlands engine (in the registry) Thanks Tim! I wish someone made a pressure line adapter for this application, or a new hose with a banjo fitting, but I found none. Goodluck to anyone installing these manifolds, and yes Tory, the squeze in and out is tight for us big boys! I wonder how the guys with 18's do it?