PDA

View Full Version : No Boat for Labor Day

Classic Razorback
09-03-2001, 11:39 AM
Well I've been runnin my mouth about going to Lake of the Ozarks for a while and did last weekend. This was a radar shootout and I was going to make a couple of passes to see what my speed was. I saw hundreads of hotboats but I only saw one other classic a 16, it was cool. I've not seen one before.
I very slowly went through about 1.5 miles of boats(very very cool boats), beside the course. This took about two hours. When I got almost to the starting area Miss Bud was making a pass so I turned off my engine to hear her go by. I could not get my shifter back in neutral to get the boat started and started drifting in to the course. I got towed out of the course, through all those cool boats again and to a marina. I put her on the trailer and came home the next day. :mad:

I put in a new control box end of last summer and thought that was the problem this time, so I put another one on. This did not fix prob.

It looks like my cable going to my drive is not moving correctly :confused: I thought maby going through all those boats slowly and working the control a bunch might of caused it to get out of adjustment. I did'nt adjust the cables when I changed motor and read later that I might should have.

I have a Quicksilver 3000 control and I called Mr. Pride at Donzi He said they put a Quicksilver 4000 in the S.E. 22 clissic.

Now for my Question ... What is a good control and should I try to adjust the cables myself???

Sorry for the long post, I think this is the most I have ever typed in my life :eek: :eek:

Thanks always for all of your help!
chris

Classic Razorback
09-03-2001, 09:04 PM
sorry man
I dont know but maby some of these other guys do. :D :D

Moody Blu'
09-03-2001, 09:43 PM
are you answering yourself classHICK?
:p

trim the cables yourself, ok?
I did on my volvo drive, I dont know how much different a mercruiser is though.

Scott Pearson
09-04-2001, 07:44 AM
I would check the drive. The shift cable attaches to an arm that then attaches to another arm that has a bushing. If the bushing is worn or cracked it could cause the problem you are seeing. Its an easy fix and should only take about an hour or so once you have the parts. Do this only after you have checked everything else, And it sounds like you have.

(NJ)Scott

Classic Razorback
09-04-2001, 08:42 AM
Scott
This is a brovo 1 drive. Is the bushing you are talking about in the drive where the shift cable connects?
Thanks
Chris

Classic Razorback
09-04-2001, 11:20 AM
Sorry
I need to read and let it soak in before I start to type. :D

I was hoping I would'nt have to take the drive back off!
Thanks
Chris

RickR
09-04-2001, 11:46 AM
Have you disconnected the cable at the engine to see if it is a remote control or a drive problem?
It is easy to adjust the shift system on a Bravo and there is alot of room for error.
Do you have a manual? If not get one. I like Clymer.

The Bravo has a detent plunger that is accessable by the rear cover. Mine works better after I cleaned and relubed it.

Scott Pearson
09-04-2001, 11:59 AM
Rick is right. Take the cable off the drive motor and see if it moves free. If not then look into the drive problem.

(NJ)Scott

Classic Razorback
09-07-2001, 10:33 PM
Thank you guys
It was in the drive. The part the cable was connected to was rusted up. I should be back in action this weekend.

Thanks again
chris