PDA

View Full Version : Help! Prop lost in test drive

green16
06-04-2001, 09:23 PM
I got a call today that bummed me out. I was going to get The Mean Green Hornet tomorrow but I won't be making the trip. The shop called me to tell me they lost my Prop on their test drive. They said it had been running great, had stopped to rest and when they powered up again got nothing. Checked the out drive and no prop. Ugh! At least they only floated 10 min. before they got a tow in.
So I need help finding a new High Performance Stainless Steel prop.

Volvo-Penta 290 Left Hand Drive
Ratio is 1.71:1
Mated to a 350hp, 350 Cu.In. SB Chevy
Stainless Steel Three blade

Here is the Kicker! I spoke with the previous owner and he told me it was a custom made prop for this boat and engine combination. You couldn't find this prop to fit a LHD Volvo-Penta outdrive so a custom shop used a prop with desired size and replace the center (hub?) with one that fits on the Volvo-Penta outdrive. The only marking I ever saw on the outside of the prop was 29 S&S. Does this mean anything to anyone? I always thought it meant a 29Pitch but that seems like an awful high number when I read everyones posts about prop sizes. Could it be 29 Centimeters. No way it could be inches. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. you can also email me at either address texjk@aol.com
texjk@adelphia.net

Murphy
06-04-2001, 09:33 PM
Lake or salt water? I assume the shop's insurance will pick up the tab, but replacig a prop like that might be tough. The prop probably stayed put while the engine was driving it against the thrust bearing then slipped off while they coasted. Could the driver give you a good enough location to justify having a couple of sport divers go down to look around? A stainless prop might stand out against a rocky or sandy bottom. 1 in 100, but you might get lucky.

Murph

BERTRAM BOY
06-04-2001, 09:43 PM
Green 16,
The S&S on your prop I would guess means S&S propeller in New York. They have a web site. SSPROPELLER.com
Can someone make a link please.....
BERTRAM BOY

mehaynes
06-04-2001, 10:29 PM
sorry, can't change your post but i belive the code would be sspropeller.com (http://www.sspropeller.com)

[This message has been edited by mehaynes (edited 06-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by mehaynes (edited 06-04-2001).]

green16
06-05-2001, 09:35 AM
Thanks guys. I found out some more information that I hope is accurate. I had the prop rebalanced and blade dings repaired in 1995 and kept the receipt. The receipt says 14X28 L.H. P28 It also has written on it SS Volvo 853793-8. I don't know if this was a VP prop modified by S&S or an S&S prop fitted with a VP Hub with the above serial #. I don't know about the 29 S&S on the prop. The "9" was not as sharp as the "2" so it could have been 28S&S.

I have spoken with S&S Propeller and the guy who did the work in 1995. Both are getting back to me I think I am getting closer.

And yes BB. They had taken it off to buff it up and make it look beautiful (which it did) and then didn't put it back on correctly. They are going to cover the replacement costs.

[This message has been edited by green16 (edited 06-05-2001).]

Forrest
06-05-2001, 10:19 AM
Oh, I feel your pain. Props only come off when you hit reverse, and for that reason, if someone on board had a GPS and realized what happened within say 30 seconds or so and hit the MOB button, provided that the current is minimal and the water isn't too deep, you could then send a diver back to that location and find it. Two years ago, I lost a freshly re-hubbed 24" Ultra prop in 17-feet of somewhat clear water, but the current was running fairly fast and I was in too much in disbelief to even think about hitting the MOB button. Anyway, to make a long story short, the prop was found about three months later after I dove on it four times (eight tanks!), but not by me, but by another group of divers who wanted the $200 reward money. The botton was very rocky and I just wasn't looking in the right place. Anyway, these four guys went side-by-side down the river and about 30 minutes later, one of the guys came up with the prop! Lets see, what do I have in this prop now? Original price: $415.00 + Re-hub: $85.00 + Reward: $200.00 = Oh $#*^! Now when it comes to Volvo props, I tighten the crap out of the cone nut and put red Loctite on everything . . . also, make sure the you can get at least four turns on the center lock-bolt. If you can't, get a longer bolt.

Good luck

------------------
Forrest

green16
06-05-2001, 01:39 PM
One of my questions is how can a prop with S&S stamped on the outside be a Volvo Prop. Could the serial number that was taken off by Finger Lakes Prop (FLP) shop in 1995 been taken off the Hub (inside the Prop). Does anyone know where they are stamped. Since my last post this AM, FLP says he spoke with Volvo Prop guys who found old records indicating the serial # 853793-8 indicates a 14X26 prop. I am thinking this is the size or source of the Hub that was put into a S&S prop so that it would fit the VP 290 outdrive. Am I too far out there?

They are looking for a diver to go out and look for it.

BigGrizzly
06-05-2001, 03:56 PM
Call Hill propellers. The engeneering manager for Precision told me the make the best one for the volvo. I have one on my Corsican and it is great. $550 tho. its called the Thrasher and is still made.. spoak to some old offshore guy said it is the best. alternative is michacan wheel.

Randy

BigGrizzly
06-05-2001, 08:31 PM
Don't think it is a 1.71:1, it is probably a 1.61:1. in that case It would be a 23 pitch prop. Unless you have a 383 with over 400 hp you won't turn a big prop. Check out the HP and drive ratio and maybe we can find the right prop. you will need that info to have Hill or someone else fit a prop.

Randy

green16
06-05-2001, 09:50 PM
Finding out more by the hour. The previous owner gave me Ron Hill's name as the person who did the prop. But he thought it was in Utica NY. I found out it is in California somewhere. I will double check the ratio but I trust Doug Smith the previous owner. He is a Chevy dealership service manager and has building engines for years. You may meet him at the Lake George meet if anyone is going. His is a 22 Yellow/White with a worked 501 or 502. He tells me the horsepower is 350 and the ratio is 1.71:1. However, it has been years since he has seen the boat and I'd never blame him if he couldn't remember 1.61 vs 1.71. It does run RPM's into the 5300 5400 range. This is very important so I am in no rush.

Still nothing from the divers. I will try to call Hill propellers tomorrow.

Thanks
John Teixeira

[This message has been edited by green16 (edited 06-06-2001).]

green16
06-06-2001, 11:04 AM
B Grizzly, Thanks you were right 1.61:1 reduction gear ratio. Doug said he was going by memory and knew it was more than the Mercs.

Has anyone heard of Spinelli Props out of Rochester, NY. Great lakes wants to use them. He says they know how Ron Hill makes them etc... Should I be a jerk about this and demand he have it done by Ron Hill? I've had a good relationship with this guy over the past several months and if anything else is wrong with the restoration job I am going to want him to fix it without hesitation. I was given an Spinelli advertisement from the back of a Boat magazine and they have also been around for 30 years or so. Any thoughts?

EricG
06-06-2001, 01:28 PM
If I recall Jeff (Blewbyu) has got a spinelli on a volvo...Jeff, you out there?

EG

Tselby
06-06-2001, 02:39 PM
Chad Hill built a Left hand 24pitch with cup, long hub, stainless, for my volvo. Cost $340. Just last week.

BigGrizzly
06-06-2001, 03:38 PM
Be a jerk the hill is the best prop I have ever used, even other manufactures will admit it. Get the real thing. Ron hill made them for the factory Volvo team and while he was alive said if I got a prop to preform better he would give me my mone back- He wone.

Randy

green16
06-07-2001, 10:16 AM
Bill at Great Lakes called me yesterday late afternoon and said he just got off the phone with Chad Hill and wish he had called him sooner. Chad Hill is going to build the prop. I didn't have to be a Jerk. I just kept mentioning Ron Hill's name and that it had been mentioned here on this site. I'll let you know how things work out.
Thanks all!
John