PDA

View Full Version : What creek, and how far up it am I?

Tony
09-02-2001, 05:03 PM
I am VERY WORRIED! My 302 Ford spiked a temperature (240+), thanks to weeds blocking my intake. Not for long, and slowing down dropped the temp back to normal, but for the next little while (heading for the ramp!)it ran rough, with strange metallic sounds, and would not idle. Then, about 10 yards from the ramp, it stalls again. Now for the worst part. Trying to restart results in nothing...like the engine has seized up! The starter engages but does not roll the engine over. Same thing the next morning. Can anybody surmise what I did to my beloved '67 Ski Sporter? I am fearing a worse case scenario (as is my wife)...so tell me straight up.

Two years of trouble free running, and now this. I'm afraid that the acronym for BOAT (Bust Out Another Thousand) may finally apply to me! :(

P.S. Houghton Lake....NEVER AGAIN!!! :mad:

P.S.S. Do you think insurance might cover this, kind of like hitting a log and doing hull damage? :confused:

Classic Razorback
09-02-2001, 06:17 PM
When that plastic ice bag covered your water intake and caused your motor to over heat I believe that was an underwater obstruction!

Moody Blu'
09-02-2001, 07:19 PM
Tony, buy a long block. take everything off your old engine and throw it on the new long block.

my boat has hit 240+degrees for about 10 seconds, and not even a whimper came out of it.
maybe something else happened to the engine.
maybe not.
I bet youll keep your eyes glued to the temp gauge from now on ehh?

sounds like this set you back 1500-1700.
while the engine is out might as well see if you can get a long block with a LARGER cam then what you had.
As to compensate for your troubles, at least youll get some more power out of the deal. :D

keep your head up tony!

Gearhead99
09-02-2001, 08:27 PM
Sounds like hyd lock. Pull all the spark plugs and see if there is any water in there. Will it turn over with the plugs out?? If so does it squirt water out of the plug holes?? If the answer is "yes", you have problems. Pull the heads, send them out to check for cracks and flatness. Eye ball the headgasket real good, look for blow marks.

If the head just need machining and the headgasket is blown, you're in no to bad of shape. But, I would check the crankcase for water and also all eight pistons for damage and if they come all the way to the top of their bores [bent rods].

If the engine got up to 240 then when you slowed down the obstruction fell off and cold water came rushing in the engine, you might of cracked something.

At least it happened at the end of the season.

Blewbyu
09-03-2001, 01:39 AM
That sucks.Both Classic Razorback and Skyblue have the right ideas.Gitcha one O'em
crate motor things and you'll be back together in coupla days. :mad:
Good Luck
P.S.-Don't kid yourself or get your hopes up of saving yours with a spark plug change.

Blewbyu
09-03-2001, 01:42 AM
Answer to orig. question-
That would be Fecal Creek,1 mile up the North Fork! :D

David O
09-03-2001, 09:50 AM
Tony consider yourself lucky at least you are up the creek and can drift back. I usally end up down the creek without a paddle.
Maybe a little humor will lighten your day.
good luck with the rebuild.

Vertigo
09-03-2001, 11:13 AM
Don't do anything until you talk to your insurance underwriter!!!!!

Overheating due to a blocked intake should be fully covered.

Moody Blu'
09-03-2001, 12:50 PM
by the way how much is insurance for a 18ft classsic?

Blewbyu
09-03-2001, 01:32 PM
$36.00 in all states except New Jersey and Florida.In those 2 states, $361.00 for all hull and liability. :D :D ;) :D :D

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-03-2001, 02:12 PM
Tony, what is the latest? keep us posted.
Bryan

BigGrizzly
09-03-2001, 02:47 PM
Tony pull the plugs. When a 302,351 ford over heats the first thing that happens is it blows the head gasket. Because of the head bolt positioning this happens to Fords and not Chevies. However the chevy seizes.This may or may not be the problem. No one here has a crystal ball. So take it apart.

Randy

Tony
09-03-2001, 04:07 PM
Yes, humor does help me...but currently my better half is not very amused! Hopefully a phone call to our insurance agent will put her in a better mood.

The update looks bleak. Plugs are pulled and the engine is still seized. In addition, the second plug from the stern on the port side came out with the end melted! So...at least one piston toasted and probably head damage. This, however, is as far as my mechanical ability takes me. Anyone know of a trustworthy marine engine shop in Michigan? Anybody venture to guess what the $,$$$ damage might be?

Vertigo, thanks for the affirmation on the insurance idea. It was one of my first thoughts and I'm hoping my insurance company agrees.

Tony
09-03-2001, 05:53 PM
Here's a look at how hot I got :(

http://www.donzi.net/photos/tsporer735.jpg.jpg

blackhawk
09-03-2001, 06:21 PM
Yep, that's hot! Sorry to hear about your problems. Good luck.

Riley
09-03-2001, 07:05 PM
Tony, sorry to hear about your misfortune! I'd call your insurance company asap and see what they have to say. You might come out of this in pretty good shape.

As far as a good marine engine shop in Michigan, there are quite a few. Actually, if you have a way to get the engine in and out of the boat, you could probably do most of the work (other than machining) yourself. I'd check out getting a long block and bolt on your marine accessories. Probably the cheapest and easiest route to take.

Scott Pearson
09-03-2001, 08:20 PM
Lets see...Coverage for a 18 classic? I pay $698.00 a year for my 1968 18. But its covered for $32,000.00.

(NJ)Scott

jwright
09-03-2001, 08:35 PM
Wow.... sorry to read about your bad luck. My season started out with a bunch of head work so I can feel some of your pain...
When I had an 18 2+3 I got the engine out with a regular old crane/cherry picker/engine hoist you can rent just about anywhere. It just made it over the side of the boat with the boat on the trailer.
Good Luck!

Sagbay32
09-03-2001, 08:35 PM
I pay $268.00 a season - 1995 18'- insured for $19,500 through progressive.

MOP
09-03-2001, 08:57 PM
Real sorry to hear of your plight, if you pick up a long block make sure its a marine unit. The pistons and bearings are a much higher grade. If you do a short block do your self a favor and use the Felpro marine gasket set the head gaskets need no re-torque and are holding up on three different Hi Per blocks I have built up for my buddies. I would do a good short block if your heads have no damage, have them milled just enough to make sure they are true. A really neet trick I do on my motors is to put both a temp and oil warning switch on them wired to a normaly open relay if either one goes off it grounds the coil so you get a shut down with hopefully no damage what so ever. On Fords you have to ad a momentary on push button or spring loaded toggle switch for the ignition as they do not have the hot start wire coming from the starter solinoid to the coil. It is a real cheap insurance policy for anyone, you will spend about $50.00 for all new stuff or scavange the switches from any late fairly late engine. I have been using Bosch relay solinoids from my local VW dealer to kill the coil.

Phil

Moody Blu'
09-03-2001, 10:11 PM
tony, just buy a long block. if youdo all sorts of head work and rebuild the low end you still have a chance of having a less than reliable engine on your hands.

tony I know a place that will put a larger cam in your engine and still give you a 2 year unlimited waranty on the engine.
if you want the number let me know.

PeteL
09-04-2001, 08:37 PM
Don't know. That plug looks like signs of detonation and pre-ignition. Doubt that could happen in a couple of minutes, but rather with longer operation. I would expect to see a damaged combustion chamber and perhaps a cracked piston in that cylinder.

I would tear that block down and inspect to see if it could be rebuilt. It's possible it can be saved. But you have to find out what was causing the detonation / pre-ignition and prevent that in the new engine.

Good Luck

Pete

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-05-2001, 09:39 PM
Tony, what was total damage? Did the insurance come through.

MadPoodle, your funny, truth is I am building the RONALD REAGAN CVN 76, but she is 18 months away from me having the CONN, the BM will have the helm.... just to set the record straight. :)

Insurance: $467 annually, 1/2 million liability. 40K on boat 3K on trailer.
Bryan

GEOO
09-05-2001, 09:46 PM
Tony,
Ouch!!!! Sorry to see the looks of that plug.
I feel for you. GEOO

Tony
09-05-2001, 09:59 PM
Insurance prospects looking good!! Respected marina is doing a diagnosis this weekend, then we will know for sure the involvement level of the insurance company. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...BIG TIME. Thanks for all your thoughts and sympathy, even though all the while I know you're thinking, "...DAMN glad it wasn't me!"

Brad Lyon
09-05-2001, 10:06 PM
Tony,

A few years ago I ran over a plastic grocery bag that blocked my intake, overheated big time just like what happened to you. There wasn't a plastic or rubber part on the motor that didn't melt! I had Allstate insurance at the time. They took care of everything except my $50.00 deductable. I hope you have the same luck with your insurance company and that everything works out for you.

Brad

Moody Blu'
09-06-2001, 12:06 AM
Tony let me know if you want the number of the engine shop that will put a bigger cam in it for you!!
a long block should cost around 1500-1800
they are also the distributor for holley,weiand and lunati!
ahh ill just give it to you know
talk to lenny(owner) or patrick and tell them broque sent you:
Invincible engines:800-955-4424
there in N.J.(exit 90 on the parkway).