PDA

View Full Version : Bennett Trimdicators Installation

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-01-2001, 07:58 PM
Looking for any free words of wisdom, I am on vacation and plan to install my trimdicators for my Bennett tabs on Tuesday, my plan thus far is to run all the wires, mount the gauges, then switch out the cylinders, drill the transom hole, seal it all up, make all my connections and hope for the best.

As far as I can tell, on my ZX there is the fuse panel under dash and the only circuit on the ignition switch is the depth gauge so I plan to tap that hot wire.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Bryan

RickR
09-03-2001, 09:18 AM
I wire my dash accessories (VHF, depthfinder,GPS,vapor detector, etc.) to a accessory switch on the dash. That is the first switch to go ON before starting engine (vapor detector) and the last one I turn OFF.

Use bare crimp connectors and adhesive lined heat shrink for your connections.

If you have to fill holes in the transom, sand a dowel for a snug fit and then epoxy it in leaving it indented at least 1/16" on both ends. After the epoxy cures sand for a mechanical bond and use a gelcoat repair kit.

The mechanical bond is necessary because polyster (gelcoat repair kit) will not chemically bond with epoxy.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-03-2001, 01:50 PM
Thanks Rick for the reply, I dove into the project this a.m. since we boated the last 2 days and actually needed a break! From the gas station that is!!! We went about 300 miles the last 2 days...

I had tabs in place before ran from Bennett rockers, just no position indicators, so no holes to fill. I have the new piston tops on, I had problems with the plastic piece on one side that holds the medal rod for the electronic sensor inside the piston, it should be fine if not I will call Bennett, anyway, transom is sealed up around the top mounts per piston, wires neatly tucked and ran to under the dash.

I have a PURPLE wire under my stereo that my depth gauge runs to that is on the switch ciruit so I used it. I am on my way out for some better wire crimps and shrink wrap. I just used tape and your right I am sure on how to do it right. I want to do it right the first time.

Tomorrow I will mount the CPU and gauges, there really isn't allot of empty dash space on a 22ZX so the gauges will go over on the left panel where I have no gauges, right of the glove box, then connect ribbon wire and hope for the best! Wish I could calibrate them here at home but the trailer bunk prevents full down postion, damn, I have to go boating tomorrow! :)
Bryan

ALLAN BROWN
09-04-2001, 08:49 AM
we have a superb mechanical indicator set for that application for less money and much better accuracy.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-04-2001, 07:51 PM
Thanks Brownie, I got mine new for 90 bucks, a bud paid $200 but never needed them, he bought a new boat instead.

I was right about the bad sending unit, called Bennett, 2 day UPS a new one will arrive.
Thanks
Bryan

doug hess
09-04-2001, 09:16 PM
Purple colored wire is the marine industry standard for battery 12 volt feed to ignition and engine instruments.

It is best to feed less critical circuits through other fuses so an overload in them does not blow a fuse and kill the engine too.

Doug

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-05-2001, 07:16 PM
Doug, thanks for the info, I will store that away in the ol brain.

There is actually a spliced line off the purple that feed my depth gauge, it is inline fused, came that way from the factory.

I had the boat in the water today and tested the tabs, indicators etc, all is well except for the one sending unit which should be here tomorrow.
Thank you again.
Bryan

Scubado
09-06-2001, 06:09 PM
Bryan,

Where did you end up placing your tab indicators? There isn't much room for additional items on my instrument panel, I assume yours is the same? http://www.donzi.net/photos/scubado01.jpg

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-06-2001, 07:44 PM
Scub, where you have fuel and hour mine was empty, that is where the tab indicators are for now, this winter I will move them to a professionally made bracket above the speedo.
Now they are temp.

My layout is hour meter in the engine compartment, depth gauge is to the very far right, forward of the shifter facing the driver. Then 4 gauges in the cluster, oil, water, fuel, battery. Main dash is trim, speedo tach...
The wire run was easy after removing cup holders and stereo.
My new sending unit came today as promised, 2 day from Bennett, it works fine.

I also installed Livosi red bezels today, 5 hours, what a job, did one gauge at a time then tested it before moving on... they look great! Matching tab rockers and steering hub next.

Scub did you see my posts on the "talk to the factory?"
Bryan

Scubado
09-07-2001, 10:58 AM
Great Upgrade Bryan

I'll bet those red bezels really set off your guages too. You'll have to post some pictures.

I've been following your other post, I'm having the same problem with mine again too. I'm waiting for the season to end before I tackle it. :mad: