PDA

View Full Version : My first run!!!!!!!!!

Scott Pearson
06-03-2001, 06:59 PM
Ok....after 22 years of storage and my 2 1/2 years of this restoration...thats 24 1/2 years and it went in the water today.

Guys this thing didn't miss a beat! Had 4 of us in the boat. Me, Cathy, Mike and Skip. I had a boat follow us just to be safe. Was out for about an hour and a half.

I do need a new ignition switch. This new one I have must be bad....Boat wants to start even with key off. Had it docked and all of a sudden I thought someone was stealing the thing. But no one was in the boat. Weird huh. If thats all that I have to do...Then I'm in great shape.

(NJ)Scott

BERTRAM BOY
06-03-2001, 07:47 PM
Congrats Scott!!!!!....... How many days 'till Lake George?
BERTRAM BOY

Scott Pearson
06-03-2001, 07:51 PM
12 Days and counting! I cant wait!

(NJ)Scott

Looped
06-03-2001, 08:53 PM
Scott,
You may need a new starter solenoid. That same thing happened to me with an old Mustang that I had with a brand new solenoid. The thing just fried the battery cables to a crisp.

Just a thought.
Craig

BigGrizzly
06-03-2001, 09:11 PM
Great, this what we have been waiting for!!! kind of like having your first child, heck just like it. Best of luck. BTW it just gets better.

Randy

RickSE
06-03-2001, 10:11 PM
An old friend of mine had a late 60's 4-speed Chevelle. One night the solenoid wires melted together and started the engine. Of course since it was a manual it was left in gear and the car drove right through the house and into the kitchen all by itself.

I also had starter wires melt together on me one time but it happened while the engine was running. Sure made a lot of noise.

Good deal on the boat, would love to see some pictures.

[This message has been edited by RickS (edited 06-03-2001).]

Scott Pearson
06-04-2001, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm pretty sure its not the starter. If you wiggle the key switch it tempory corrects the problem.

I will let you know how I make out.

(NJ)Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Pearson (edited 06-04-2001).]

Looped
06-04-2001, 07:41 AM
RickS,
That reminds me of the old High School days. A friend of mine had some brown Datsun thing that was a standard too and it caught on fire up at the front of our High School. After a few minutes, the Needham cruisers & Fire Dept came to put it out. Turns out that one of the cruisers parked about 15 feet in front of the Datsun and the thing jump-started its self right into the cruiser. It was a total riot watching this thing still trying to give its last bit of life into the side of the cop car. Ah yes, the good old days.

Craig

Scott Pearson
06-07-2001, 09:49 PM
Guys,
I am putting a New ingnition switch in this weekend along with a new Secondary solenoid.You know the one up top by the 50 amp breaker. I think that is whats bad. Its not the starter. If it was it would not be able to start the boat. What ever it is its engernizing the coil. Thats two things, The switch or the solenoid up top.

I also need a 12 foot section of 3/4 rub rail. West marine is back ordered. any ideas?

(NJ)Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Pearson (edited 06-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Scott Pearson (edited 06-07-2001).]