PDA

View Full Version : fuel sender unit???

Moody Blu'
09-01-2001, 07:56 PM
hey guys, well i installed all my new gauges today.(gaffrig II basspack7)
I pretty much rewired the entire boat from scratch, lights ignition, blower, bilge etc.

the fuel gauge was reading 3/4 full when I knew there wasnt that much gas in it.

So I went to the gas station filled a 5 gallon tank and a 6 gallon tank.
went back home, and poured the entire 5 gallons in the boat.

half way through the 5 gallon tank, the new gauge read full.
I then put about 3 gallons from the 6 gallon tank into the boat and then it came out the side tube.

Is there a way to calibrate the fuel gauge?

Should I run the boat until its empty and figure out the -(run out of gas point?)?
I probably need a new sender ehh??

Im pretty sure the sender is the original teleflex sender.

I hope there is a way I can do something other than change the sender, It was a bitch just getting the fuel pick up out of that tank.
thanks in advanced

Scott Pearson
09-01-2001, 09:59 PM
There is way to many varables to how a sender or gauge will work in a boat. Also, how far down a fuel pickup tube is in the tank will determine when you will be empty. The gauge might not read empty and then your wondering why your stuck. Alot of tank builders will not run a pickup tube close to the bottom of the tank. When my tank was built the pickup tube was about 3 inch's from the bottom. I changed that so its about 1/4 inch from the bottom. I have a filter so I really didn't care.

Ok...so on my 68 I have a sender that has a built in gauge that I can see through my floor site eye. And it also has wires that come off of the side of the sender that I ran a Dash Gauge on. The Gauge and the Gauge on the sender together are dead nuts on. But when I fill my tank it will read full before it really is full. I then can go another 2 gallons or so before it will blow out the vent. I also ran all 1/2 inch stainless tubing up to the motor for a feed line. I'm sure that holds some fuel in itself. Also ran a 3/8 return for the future (one off) injection system that will be CNCed this winter of Billet. Gotta love it!

(NJ)Scott

Moody Blu'
09-02-2001, 11:02 AM
cool, I am gonna run the piss out of it today and see when I run out of gas,(il have a gas can with me to save myself).

I had to change the pick up in my tank.
the one I put in is about an inch shorter.

the old one kept clogging up with crap and the new one has a screen but all the crap clogs the pick up at around 3000 rpm. any higher and the fuel pump overcomes the clogging and sucks the gas through the junk.

I am going to make a new fuel pick up that is modified so I can put it to 1/4" from the bottom of the tank. I need more of an opening than the stock pick up because of the junk in the tank.
I will be taking the junk out of the tank in winter.
thanks for the help scott!

Ill be seeing you at A.C.!!!!

if not sooner?

why dont you dump your boat in the bay and come cruising with us.
Im sure frank can get some spare time soon?
jp brescia should come too!!
I'm itchin to check out your boat!

Scott Pearson
09-02-2001, 11:40 AM
I will be in AC for sure! Next weekend Lake George. I think Cliff (Bertram Boy) is comming down to AC with his 66 Donzi. We should all have a great time.

(NJ)Scott

flametamer
09-02-2001, 05:32 PM
Broque,

You need to change the fuel sender.When I put in my new Graffrig II gauges I replaced the fuel sender. You must know how deep your tank is. New sender is expensive and the company that sold you the gauges should have the sender. Did you also change the oil sender and temp sender? Jeff

Moody Blu'
09-02-2001, 07:08 PM
I bought the gauges directly from gaffrig (livorsi marine) www.livorsi.com (http://www.livorsi.com)
they have a special for the basspacks, you cant get them cheaper anywhere.

when I bought the basspack they threw in the temp sender and oil sender.

well I ran the piss out of the boat all day and havent ran out of gas yet, ill know tomorow when it runs out of gas, if the sender needs to be changed.

for everyone who knows about my overheating problem.
it has seemed to go away with the non collapsing intake hose, but every once in a while the temp will go sky high, is that normal?
seaweed?
Ill check my impeller tomorow to see if it got eaten up from all the times the old hose closed up and forced the pump to run dry.

Classic Razorback
09-03-2001, 09:59 AM
On the top of the exhaust manifold where the elbow bolts on there is a couple of small holes in the gasket that lets water through to the elbow and out the exhaust(I think). When I changed my motor over I noticed large flakes of rust in the exhaust manifolds and I got as much out as possible.

Could you have this also and maby after running a while this clogs up and causes you to over heat. If you stop this crap falls out and runs ok.

I had a 77 280z that had this sort of a problem with the fuel filter.

I think we can get our exhaust manifolds boiled out to solve this problem. I just want stainless exhaust.

This stuff is a guess, I hope it works!!

chris

Moody Blu'
09-08-2001, 01:42 PM
well, my gauge went all the way to E yesterday and she was still running so, I dont have to replace the sender :D

Donzified
09-09-2001, 06:59 PM
I put new gagrigs in my 1976 x18 when the gas guage reads 1/2 I have 5 gals. left out of 20. When it gets to 1/4 I'm empty. Also my tach with hour meter is worthless. But they all look good in the dash