PDA

View Full Version : 496 Pushrod Problems??

RickSE
08-31-2001, 05:36 PM
Did anyone ever get an accurate description on what the problem was with the recalled 496 pushrods (Mercruiser)? I have a 496 in my pickup and just came across a Technical Service Bulletin on pushrod problems. The bulletin states the pushrods may crack or have mis-alligned ball ends causing valvetrain problems. Sounds very similar to the past Mercruiser recall. Only difference is that GM is not recalling the engines, only fixing them if the customer complains of valvetrain noise.
:rolleyes:

Formula Jr
09-03-2001, 05:09 AM
Well, I HEAR valve train noise. Don't you!?

BigGrizzly
09-03-2001, 02:36 PM
Yes, the ball at the end of the pushrod and the rocker did't natch the spec and wpuld gaul and cause many different problems. This has been blown out of proportion. The problem was very small and Merc over reacted due to publisity. Problem has long since vanished. Merc fixed many units that did not have this problem. Funny how that works.

Randy

RickSE
09-04-2001, 11:00 AM
Thanks Guys,

Taking it in tomorrow. I'll let GM decide if there's a problem. There is a small amout of ticking on one side of the engine, but I can't tell for sure if it's from the valvetrain, could be injectors.