PDA

View Full Version : Home From SE Mich

boldts
06-03-2001, 11:47 AM
I had been planning to leave for Michigan on Friday night so that I would be fresh and ready for a day on a new lake. Everything that could go wrong at work on Friday, did! I didn't get home until 09:30pm. I decided to get a couple hours sleep and head for MI around 03:00am Saturday. Couldn't get much sleep due to the anticipation of a new boating place. Got on the road at 03:00am and could see the moon has I drove North. It couldn't rain on a Donzi day could it? Crossed over the border between OH and MI and low and behold as I passed Monroe MI, I acquired the first rain drop on the windshield. As I got up past Detroit the rain became more intense and I began to doubt the thought of coming up to MI. As I pulled off the Metro Beach exit and into a nearby McD's, it was 07:30 and time for some breakfast. I entered Metro Beach State Park and paid the entrance fee. What a big, beautiful park. I'd highly recommend it to anyone I talk to looking for a gathering place in Michigan. Even though the rain continued, I walked around the park to see what was to be seen. It never rains all day does it? I decided to wait the rain out for a while since I drove the distance, if there was any chance to splash the Donzi, I was determined to do it. I drove around the area checking out the boat dealers and hoping maybe to find a treasure in the ruff. No treasure found, but still a fun way to pass the time. As I drove back to Metro Beach, the rain began to let up and sites of the sun could be seen. I began to get the boat ready for running. I wasn't going to miss the opportunity to run the boat.

Has I made my boat ready, Jeff Wright pulled up with his 21' Donzi GT. Another very cool Donzi model that I had not seen before. I hate to name a Donzi a family boat, but this model is a true family, day on the lake, boat. Speed is high enough to keep Dad happy and sides are high enough to keep mom and the kids happy. After a while, Sam Pilato pulled up with his 30th Anniversary 16' Donzi Classic. I had not ever seen one of these either. Did you know that this 16 has 2 bucket seats rather than the traditional 1 bucket with L passenger seat. This boat probably was the predecessor design for the floor plan being used in today's 16' Classics. Due to the high winds, we decided to go further North to the river that feeds Lake St'Clair where we would have more protected waters. Randy Oak was called and informed of the plans. We meet him at the McD's and we all traveled about another 1/2 hour North to the river. Randy owns a red and white 18'Classic. Keith VanderVreken was already on the lake and would meet us at a lunch spot on the river. Keith owns a yellow and white X-18 Donzi. VoodooCanoe would also meet us their. (Help me with names here guys. Name of restaurant and Voodoo's name, I can't remember.) The rest of the afternoon we boated to different locations on the river and with a nice chop to the water and other boat wakes, were all fun rides for me even though my Donzi is still the slowest of this group also. Keep your eyes out for possibly another gathering in SE Michigan and hopefully a full day of boating with no rain. As I arrived home at 12:30am this morning, I was to tired to write this. I climbed into bed thinking what a wonderful Donzi Day it had been on the river! For those of you who were unable to make the trip, we all look forward to gathering with you next time. It was a fun ride for me!

Scott Boldt

Tony
06-04-2001, 01:21 PM
Scott,
I am so glad you were able to salvage a lousy weather day with some Donzi fun. On Friday I was fully intending to come, "weather or not", but as Saturday morning arrived with pouring rain and predictions for it to continue my wife informed me that she was not very interested in the adventure. So, I reluctantly agreed to abort the plans.

Sorry we missed you, Scott & Beth, I would have also enjoyed meeting Jay Wright from Holland, Voodoocanoe, and all the others.

Is there still interest in a gathering at the Les Cheneaux Islands, just east of the Mackinaw Bridge? Riley from Cedarville gave me some leads on cabins, and I am going up there for sure sometime this summer.

jaroot
06-04-2001, 03:10 PM
i'd be game for a nice weekend in the les cheneaux islands! (how bout around the time of the hessel boat show?) any reason to cross into god's country is good enough reason for me to go eh. Back when i was younger my summer vacations were generally spent on hill island at barefoots resort. those were some awesome times... good fishing, good boating, absolutely awesome water and great scenery... ok i have to stop now... i'm getting homesick! I WILL be a yooper once again... troll land drives me insane... BTW, my 97 16 classic is a 2+3 setup, 2 front seats and a bench back. i've only seen a few others this new like it, most having the wrap around bench.

Later

Root

Houghton or BUST....

Riley
06-04-2001, 03:13 PM
Sounds like you guys were able to salvage the day! I would have like to have been along too, but the weather report looked too lousy for a 300+ mile drive.

Tony, are you still interested in the second weekend in July for a Les Cheneaux gathering? Let me know what you think, and I'll see about reserving slips at one of the marina's.

Sam
06-04-2001, 03:54 PM
Scot, are you going to post the pic's from the Michigan gathering ?

olredalert
06-04-2001, 04:41 PM
I wondered where you guys might be.I showed up about 11 after a heck of a rainstorm in East China to find not a DONZI.Hung around for about 15 minutes,but clouds were coming back in and I figured everyone went home.You guys were closer to my house where you went than you could have known.Oh well!Hope the 24 gets in the drink soon.So far I havent had a good day up here but they will arrive soon.............just.........ol red!

Voodoocanoe
06-04-2001, 04:53 PM
Hey Guy's, Had a great time, it was a pleasure to meet all of you. It was pretty neat seeing those beautiful Donzi's blasting down the river(running for shelter)maybe next time the weather will cooperate.
By the way we got totally soaked from the pouring rain on the way back across the lake rain HURTS at anything above 30mph of course when we got back the rain stopped and the sun came out for a little while.

Tony
06-04-2001, 06:11 PM
Riley,
The 2nd weekend in July works for me, and I am itching to get up there and see your area. I called several cabin-type resorts, some of whom would split a week for me...but most are only offering that during June. If we organize a gathering the Les Cheneaux Motel would probably work, at $55/night. Maybe you should start a post and see who might be interested. This is a beautiful area, with Mackinaw Island about 12 miles away as the crow flies.

boldts
06-04-2001, 06:11 PM
Sam,
I do not have a disc camera, so I am planning on getting the film developed and put on a disk so I can download them to my PC. Might be a couple days, but I'll put what I took on a page at the Midwest Donzi Club website and I'll then post the link here for you all to see. I really enjoyed the trip up North. On the way home, I stopped at a couple marinas off of I-75. One had a 18' Classic with real gold parts on it. I was told that only 2 18' Classics were ever made with the gold inserts. Anyone out there able to verify that? Anyways, it belongs to a Neurosurgeon. (Brain Doctor) I was told the guy walks around with his hands in the air because he doesn't want to touch anything. My only question is, why would a doctor who values his hands so much buy a 18' Classic which on any Great Lake requires all the grip you got to control bouncing over the swells. By the way, his other boat is a 70' yacht at the same marina.

Scott Boldt

jwright
06-06-2001, 09:45 PM
Well considering the weather I can say our little get together was a success... I had a blast running next to Sam's 16 up the middle channel.
I am sure we will have better weather if we try again sometime. If any Donzi folks are coming to west michigan (Grand Haven, Holland, Muskegon) let me know!

Dr. Dan
06-06-2001, 10:56 PM
Jwright, I will be in Muskegon at the new Marina with my brother, just after the 4th of July. We are camping in a state park I think, he has a 32'St Tropez in that Marina and we're doing the big family vacation thing. 4 Brothers from different parts of the U.S. It will be a trek, we live in Pa., but I'm familiar a little with that end of the State. Times going to be too tight to do the Islands up north, but maybe next year. Check out my Registry photos and if you see us look me up, I'll be the one with the shiny head! I think we are doing a trip to Grand Haven on Monday if the Lake is calm.

boldts
06-08-2001, 11:33 PM
Here is a link to the pictures I took while at the SE Michigan gathering. Enjoy
http://www.mwdonziclub.com/semich2001.html

Dr. Dan
06-08-2001, 11:49 PM
Scott, nice pics, thanks for sharing...Doc

Riley
06-09-2001, 08:37 AM
Nice photo's! Now I wish I'd made the drive down, rain or no rain.

Voodoocanoe
06-09-2001, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the cool pics Scott, Let's do it again.

jwright
06-11-2001, 11:32 AM
Nice pics..... now I have some for the registry!

Ranman
06-11-2001, 11:54 AM
Scott, good pictures...except for the one of me holding my drain plug. Next time I'll try to have it in place BEFORE I launch the boat.

Still amazed at Sams '96 16 with 2+3 seating. Does anybody know about this. Did any other Donzi 16's come with 2+3 seating as opposed to the 1 + wraparound. I am only familiar with the new ones (2001)?

boldts
06-11-2001, 03:53 PM
Sorry Randy. I had to throw that one in there. You know we've all been there, done that before. At least I know I did once.

Mr Wright - Glad I could help. I really like the GT-21 model. The camper option is every Classic owners dream in a rain or cold day on the lake.

VooDooCanoe - Please tell me your name again. I remember Tim who you brought with you, but I've lost the memory on your name. Your Sunsation is one very nice offshore boat. I had looked at the 24' back some 5 or 6 maybe longer years ago, but I really like my Donzi even if you guys keep making me eat wake. It was a lot of fun for me jumping you guys wakes. I would like to meet up with all you guys again if time and dollars allow. Take Care, and be safe.

Scott Boldt

Sam
06-12-2001, 11:12 AM
Jeff, I got my new prop on this past weekend and put it through the paces. No problem on the hole shot, picked up 3-4mph in the mid range and 2.5 mph top end. Now if I can pick up another 200 rpm or so I should be very close to 60mph.

Sam

jwright
06-14-2001, 09:47 PM
Sam.......that cool with the prop. interesting. You must getting more into the power band of the engine. Maybe I should try a 19" in place of my 21".