PDA

View Full Version : What is it??

harbormaster
08-30-2001, 09:05 PM
I received the following pictures and letter.
Anyone care to guess what it is???
Attached please find pictures of a boat I recently purchased. I was informed that this boat is a 1972 Donzi, however there's no paperwork or hull numbers for the boat. I noticed other Donzi boats on the registry do not have hull numbers, were these boats sold as kit boats and how are they registered? This is a 17 1/2 foot boat with a 454 Chevy engine with a Berkley jet drive. The hull looks similar to other Donzis, however I'm not sure about the vents above the engine (see photo).

I would appreciate any information or guidance you could provide.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/DONZI1.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/DONZI2.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/DONZI3.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/DONZI4.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/DONZI5.jpg

BERTRAM BOY
08-30-2001, 09:13 PM
I would say by this "crease" in the hull sides, that this not a Donzi...... Do I hear a second? Neat looking boat though.....
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Moody Blu'
08-30-2001, 09:20 PM
If thats a donzi somebody shoot me!

that color scheme is yucky

from the scene in the back of theboat it seems some back cabin hicks are trying to pull a fast one on that guy.

"yeppers that there is what you'd call a donzi fella!" CA'MON!

HP 600SC
08-30-2001, 09:21 PM
I was typing the exact same thing when
you were....crease.... :( notadonzi
but it look's cool!

HP 600SC
08-30-2001, 09:23 PM
SKY_B_
Careful what you wish for...some trigger
happy people around here! :D

Scott Pearson
08-30-2001, 09:27 PM
That is not a Donzi. Kinda looks like a modified SeaRay....Hummmm Pretty cool looking. Neat frenched in deck vents.

(NJ)Scott

Moody Blu'
08-30-2001, 09:28 PM
I'm locked and loaded , with two snipers backing me up. :eek:

mattyboy
08-30-2001, 09:36 PM
harbourmaster,
let me take a stab at it,
the gunwales are pretty high,probably not a classic especially with the side vents. next it's a 72?? did Donzi make a right hand steering in 72? i don't know.also the strakes are hard to see but they don't seem to run upto the front with that tell tale curve up to the bow. could it be a GT or a Hornet? they have higher gunwale's but did they make them at 17 1/2' I don't think so?
looks like a customized sea ray to me. just ran into one on my lake mid 70's yellow with a straight chopped and channeled windshield about 2" high straight across and a big block berkley jet olds 455 i think.
this boat does have some nice lines though,
thru hull looks a little low on the transom
could be a customized glastron they had side vents like that

Matt

Desert Fox
08-30-2001, 09:42 PM
I would take a stab at it as looking alot like an early Sea Ray Pachanga. I had one in 1972. The side hill vent; the squared off transom corners and the forward rise of the deck/freeboard look just like the Pachanga. On the other hand, what is throwing me off is that the early pachangas did not have a "cabin" door which I think I see. They did have a steep deadrise. They were also I/O's but this looks like a direct drive, although it could have been converted.
i'm not sure but its a good guess.... I just saw a web site with pictures of the old pachanga. I'll get the site reference and you can look for yourself.
:eek:

oldLenny
08-30-2001, 09:52 PM
I say an SRX Pachanga...
http://www.boatclassics.com/71sr-pachanga.html

Desert Fox
08-30-2001, 09:55 PM
You haave got to look at the Pachanga picture I just re-visited. The vents and creased hull are a give-away, or at least close close.
The site is called "Boat Classics; Classic fiberglass and aluminium boats" I had the site saved under Ask Jeeves so I don't know the exact way to log on. The person running the site has a e-mail address at TODD @ Boat Classics.com. Take a look!

Desert Fox
08-30-2001, 10:00 PM
ADDRESS So obvious.. Boatclassics.com

SCROLL DOWN.. yellow pachanga.. creased hull, vents, I cant' remember if the top stern vent was on my boat but it looked familiar. can't tell from the picture however, Todd on the website "specializes" in old sea-rays and will no doubt solve this interesting mystery!

Jamesbon
08-30-2001, 11:00 PM
I agree, not a Donzi, but cool looking.

Two words Skyblue - Web etiquette!

Nate

Blewbyu
08-30-2001, 11:56 PM
Len gets the prize-SRX Pachanga.Been there....had one.Hadda 454/Hamilton Jet.Rooster you wouldn't believe!Cool boat, but really no comparison to Donzi quality.Sold it to a hotrodder who went nuts for the rooster!Tripled my investment in a week.It was a spooky boat over 50.He had never had a boat-blew it over the second day he owned it.Rebuilt motor-blew it over again.
Sold with seized motor.Smart move. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dr. Dan
08-31-2001, 07:04 AM
Just curious, how do those thru hulls work when they would be constantly submerged? Wouldn't that really invite "reversion", just wanted to know, all the through hulls I've seen were above the water line!...Doc :cool:

Scott Pearson
08-31-2001, 07:29 AM
I owned a 1969 Pachanga...Looked alot different. Hatch, Dash, Hardware etc. But the 71 looks like this black boat...Yup...Pachanga. Not 17 1/2 but 18.

(NJ)Scott

Moody Blu'
08-31-2001, 08:03 AM
Jamesbon, whats wrong with my "etiquette"?

I was talking like I was a hick from the back country who was trying to pass the boat off as a donzi. LAY OFF!!

:mad:

BERTRAM BOY
08-31-2001, 01:09 PM
Nate,
Three words...... "Right on, Brother"
BERTRAM BOY
:D :D :D

CDMA
08-31-2001, 04:30 PM
Nate,

Glad you said it.

Chris

MarkGT
08-31-2001, 04:40 PM
SCOT

Your boat looks just like the Pachanga I checked out last year. No exposed springers boxed in to the chine. I believe they are short, and end just under the floor @ the first frame. This area in the engine compartment seems to be a problem area for rot talking to other Searay owners. I almost bought one in the same condition w/454merc & Berkly pump for a project. The hulls on these boats were built extra thick & extremely strong ..... uh also heavy.
GOOD LUCK :THUMBSUP: I always like the older Pachangas 2nd to the Donzi 18S.

If anyone is intrested there was a nice 1970 for sale in Michigan that could be had for $4K. I looked at this boat last year VGC & original interior dash & gelcoat. :)
1970 Pachanga for sale (T McDonald) (http://www.boatclassics.com/pachangapage.htm)

Sagbay32
08-31-2001, 04:42 PM
Is this a parochial website or what?

lou
08-31-2001, 04:50 PM
Yup that's a Pachanga!

Classic Razorback
08-31-2001, 05:02 PM
Sky Blue your just going to be the Blacksheep of the DONZI Family. :D :D

chris

You Can't win man, Oh yah "sit up straight while your on this site" lol

riverrat
08-31-2001, 09:03 PM
Yo Scot, I thought you got over the rebuild idea. and were going for a ZX. WHATZUP??

the rat.. :eek:

Moody Blu'
08-31-2001, 09:12 PM
ba ba black sheep.- I like that classic razorback.

cdma,nate and bertram
you guys must be real anal.

GROW UP

:eek:

Sagbay32
08-31-2001, 09:35 PM
To whom it may comcern,
This is a boating site is it not? Lots of opinions out there. This is the real world and not everyone is going to think a like. I think that from now on if you are offended by any certain words or phrases that you do not read any further and switch to another thread. I think that we can all enjoy talking about Donzi's and the things that go with them without calling names and pointing fingers.

Lighten up! Life is too short.

my.02

Moody Blu'
08-31-2001, 10:03 PM
here here!

harbormaster
08-31-2001, 10:40 PM
Thanks for identifying the Pachanga.
Anyone who thinks I bough this boat must be high. read the post. Someone was asking me to help them identify it.

As for sky blue, he's just having fun. everyone chill out.

Gearhead99
09-01-2001, 09:48 AM
Yep, it's a Pachanga. I think they were only built in 69-70 then. Most had that OMC drive with the rubber bladder on the transom. Neat boats, not a Donzi though.

But, the one picture of it seems to show that it has 4X4 capablities coming out of the woods like that...or maybe just the trailer is 4X4!!!

Have a good Holiday..

Classic Razorback
09-01-2001, 11:42 AM
Could someone tell me where these people live I think it might be some relatives of mine :D :D

I have older Army trucks and cars in my yard with my 22(classic) and a house full of guns, so Bring It ON BLACKSHEEP!!! (LMAO) :D :D :D

chris

I'm going to Wally-World right now to get a digital camera and try to post a picture.

Moody Blu'
09-01-2001, 06:38 PM
im gonna call you classHICKrazor back from now on mmmm K? lol!!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-01-2001, 07:53 PM
Good reading here, I thought I was on OSO for a minute, glad I snapped out of it. I think you know what I mean by that! LOL

I think you guys nailed this boats identity dead on. Pachanga...

Looking forward to winter when the posts get realy live! ;)
Bryan

Sagbay32
09-01-2001, 10:00 PM
That sky blue donzi guy's gotta purtee mouth

Classic Razorback
09-01-2001, 11:05 PM
Is the Grease Man still on the radio up there in the north east?
Sorry this is off the subject but i figured we beat this one into the ground anyway.

chris

Ye Haw Bang Bang :D

Sagbay32
09-02-2001, 09:34 PM
I saw a yellow boat today just like the pic posted here. It was in a yard on the Kawkawlin River in Bay City, MI. Looked clean. I never knew they made Pachangas in the 70's . I learned something new here today. As always lots of info on this site!

Formula Jr
09-03-2001, 06:47 AM
Pachangas, Are they Wynne designs also? Don't Know???????"?
Cool to find out either way.