PDA

View Full Version : Price on 22" Classic?

BacDoc
06-01-2001, 01:05 PM
I'm negotiating with guy in CA with a 94 22" classic,502 Efi, Brovo 1 and a Whipple supercharger. This boat is said to be in excellent shape. The owner has it posted for $33k. After talking a bit he has dropped to $29k and says " I know what I spent and put into this boat and $29k is a bargain"
I had a similar boat ( without supercharger ) at $21,500 but the deal fell through. Yesterday one came up on traderonline ( all same engine ect.. no supercharger) for $22,500 and was said to have sold.
My question to all of you is; what would be a good price for this Donzi with a supercharger be? Any other info on this subject such as is this a good setup ( 502 with whipple supercharger) would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

Looped
06-01-2001, 01:16 PM
BacDoc,
I would suggest for you to find a clean 22’ 502 w/o a supercharger on it. Then have one installed once you own it and have the motor looked over to make sure it does not have any problems down the line. Buying something with such a modification done to it usually means that it’s been romped on to see what it is capable of. Plus, these days you may want to consider finding one closer to you because of the transport costs. They will kill you on the mileage because they jack the prices up on top of the gas companies.

That was my $0000000.01 cents worth

Craig

EricG
06-01-2001, 01:47 PM
It seems that whenever someone posts a pricing question, people always respond with "what are you willing to pay". Although, that doesn't help much, it really seems to be the best answer. The price of boats, especially rare ones like ours, fluctuate greatly depending on where they are. The prices most of you pay on the east coast are nothing but a dream for us West Coasters. On higher priced models, I think we can justify shipping, because they cost so much less over there. The idea of paying the "West Coast Markup" and then shipping back to the East Coast seems like a pretty high price to pay, but if it's the boat you want - who's to say it's not the right thing to do. Just my opinion, of course....

EG

roadtrip2
06-01-2001, 06:29 PM
I have been looking at putting a whipple on my 22 with 502. This takes the whipple, steering rams, bigger prop, and possibly upgraded tabs. Price 10-12K.
I wouldn't pay a penny for any of this already on a used boat, unless you can get a real good feel for how the boat has been gently used or abused. The look of the boat will tell you how the engine has been treated.
After inspection and you still want the boat, then offer him what the boat would be worth without the modifications. If you re-sell, that is all you will get. Good luck, Todd

BigGrizzly
06-01-2001, 10:08 PM
I have a Procharger in my Criterion, I built the bottom end to hold it. At 4500+ Wipples get real hard on the bottom end. if the guy abused it your goning to have to fix it. Go with RT2 suggestion.
Randy

Bryan Tuvell
06-02-2001, 02:24 PM
ROADTRIP.... a modification to your boat??? I sure hope you shrink wrap the mechanic so he doesn't drip sweat on your boat! OH MY GOODNESS... A FELONY in TX!
Todd, as I told ya, I want to send you your birthday present.... I guess I will call Jill.

Back to the topic though, I wouldn't buy a modified engine either. Maybe a newer one for a bit more that has a warranty, the way I see it, you need deep pockets without a warranty.
Good luck BacDoc, keep us posted.
Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 06-02-2001).]