PDA

View Full Version : Have to sell my 18

Sagbay32
08-29-2001, 09:47 PM
I have put my 1995 18 up for sale. Sad story it is. Waited all my semi-grown up years for a Donzi and the Wife and kids are too scared to go out on her. They are telling me they want more boat. I am looking at 26 footers now and have to sell (wipe tear from eye) my Donzi. I have put in a thread under the Donzi boats for sale heading. Check it out and let me know if you need more info. I will be having photos taken soon.

Thanks
Mike

mattyboy
08-30-2001, 03:27 PM
Mike,
sorry to hear that, I know family always come first. I recently just bought my 16 this year, and at first the wife and the kids were aliitle scared, but now they love the ride, they also love the response we get when passing other boats, " nice donzi" "thumbs up " and so on. I know not to push it too hard when the conditions are not the best when they are in the boat.
I don't know how the water is in white lake but on my lake Sat and Sun are really rough a lot of boats and waves 2'-3' so we don't go fast with them onboard (my wife wants to call the boat "never on a sunday"). week days are much different. But in an effort to keep you in that donzi let take the problems and some possible solutions

rough (scarey ride): try trim tabs, don't push it if the conditions aren't right. try and find calm water change the time you boat maybe?
Lack of storage: use some rubbermaid tubs under deck, or in side of bilge in the engine compartment.
find a buddy who has a bigger boat to use as a base site when the water is rough, I've got a pal who has a float boat we use on weekends when the water is big, we join up
b-b-q on his boat drop the wife off on it and take the kids tubing or skiing.
My kids are boy 14 girl 10, I don't know how old your kids are but mine are just starting to learn to ski. If they are younger they might grow into the donzi!
These might seem stupid but this is how I solved my wife's "concerns" about the boat.
I hate to see someone have to give up their donzi unless all possibilties have been exhausted.but I have to admit if my family
wanted the boat sold the boat would be gone in a second! My wife has really warmed up to the boat though
take solice in the fact it is always easy to sell a donzi.
also research a bigger donzi z21, z25,22zx

hang in their Mike

Matt

Sagbay32
08-30-2001, 09:25 PM
Hey Matty,
It's funny that you mentioned the Wife and kids warming up to the thumbs up and "nice boat" thingy. I told my Wife that I put the boat up for sale and she said "WHAT? I can't believe that you would put it up for sale without asking me". Now I know that I don't understand women. Just when I thought I was doing the right thing, once again I am confused. Now she says that she likes it and enjoys saying "We..... have a Donzi". Go figure!
We do like to boat on the Saginaw bay and it can be quite rough at times. We did buy the 18 to use on inland lakes around our house but the water is too small and the boats are too many. We need a boat that we can put in a marina up north and stay on. In a perfect world I would say two boats! I guess I will wait 'til winter to look for a cruiser.
Trying to come up with kid solutions: I hate to modify the Donzi. It is in near perfect condition and I would hate to add anything non factory to her. I was thinking of aluminum grab handles on the gunnels in back, or on the back of the front buckets for the kids to hold on to. Just a thought.

jwright
08-30-2001, 10:07 PM
I had an 18 2+3 (1973) and can understand your situation. I am not married, but the boat was sometimes a lttle to much of a ride for some of my g/f's etc.. When I moved over onto Lake Michigan from Port Huron, the water was rough more often then Lake Huron. Started to look at 21' Formulas because I could not get into a 22' 2+3 (to much $). BUT.... I found a 21GT 1976 Donzi. Never heard of it or seen it until then..... and it is great! Windsheild and all!.. I have ran this boat all over... even out to Beaver Island and Charity Island in your area. SO my long winded point is that there may be some older Donzu mdels that might fit what you need a little better..... Good Luck!

mattyboy
08-31-2001, 07:49 AM
sagbay,
things seem to be going your way, and I just noticed something the newer 18's don't have
grab rail! most I see have a windsheild but no rails, the older ones had a grabrail on each side, on the 16's the rail goes in a u shape from front to back, and on my boat is used often, maybe you could shorten the rail off an older 18 to make it fit by the back seats to give kids grip. also i saw on a bass boat a retractable strap handle for the jump seats in the back, this boat had a merc optimax 300hp on a 21 bass boat basically it was an airplane, maybe able to buy the straps as an aftermarket item.
glad to hear the family is warming upto the boat. who knows you hit the lottery buy a 100' hatteras and use the 18 as a tender.

Matt
a man with a dollar and a dream :p

Sagbay32
08-31-2001, 03:35 PM
Hey JW,
You made some great points about size. My only problem is I do go to the Charities, and I don't want to be out there in an old boat (nothing against them) I know that any boat can have problems, it's just that they seem to multiply with age.I also would like some more storage and sleeping for 4. What is a Z25 like in the cabin? I have looked at Medallions but seems like too much moola. I showed one to the Wife and she said it was boring (no offense meant). Oh well, we will have to see.

Classic Razorback
08-31-2001, 05:22 PM
Good luck my friend, hope you can keep your Donzi or get a bigger one. Sounds like your wife wants to keep it.
chris