PDA

View Full Version : Prop guess on new motor

TORYSMINX
08-29-2001, 08:46 PM
Ok I have a question to ask for you guys that are running 400+ hp. I am dropping the motor in this weekend finaly and I only have a 21' cleaver in the shop and a 23' rapture. The motor has over 500 hp and I was wondering what prop I should shoot for? Should I go out and buy a 25' mirage or should I stick with the 23' to take it easy on the Alpha?

On another note these darn hoses dont align up, do any of you recomend a certain brand of hose? I was looking at the braided flexible hose but I am green at this..

Thanks

Tory

..Shooting for the Lake George Meet on a prayer.

CDMA
08-29-2001, 08:53 PM
Go for the 25 mirage. Over revving the drive with a 23 won't help it either. Run the 25 ( still might not be exactly right) but it will be a better starting point than a 23. Just watch the hole shots and wake jumping.

Chris

CDMA
08-29-2001, 08:54 PM
Oh may I add a Wing and a Prayer for your alpha drive...

TORYSMINX
08-29-2001, 08:56 PM
That is true a wing and a prayer for the drive. I am also looking for a supplier of flexible hose for the plumbing. Any ideas for this?

Thanks
Tory

HP 600SC
08-29-2001, 09:01 PM
Hmmmm.....depends on what your max RPM's
are at WOT and your driving style,
I would (if it were mine) prop it so that
at WOT you reach you target max RPM.
Sounds like the 25 mirage plus LAB would be the way to go. Definatly change your gear
lube with the best oil you can buy for it..
Merc. hi-perf gear lube...I would change it
every 20-25 hours and keep an eye on the drain and vent plug magnets for metal
shavings....they will tell you if your drive
is "getting tired"
good luck
;)

Scott Pearson
08-29-2001, 09:20 PM
Tory,
I would run the stock type hoses. Merc. uses Goodyear. I ran them all on my small block and they look and fit great. Wiped them down with Wax and Grease Remover and they are nice and Black. Never really cared for all that braided stuff.

(NJ)Scott

HP 600SC
08-29-2001, 09:22 PM
Scott,
Were you reading my mind? ;)

Scott Pearson
08-29-2001, 09:30 PM
Hay...Less is more I think. When I finished my small block in my 1968 everyone said
"You will have water leakes,you always do"
I didn't have one! Just have to make sure surface is nice and clean and use good hose clamps.

(NJ)Scott

TORYSMINX
08-29-2001, 10:11 PM
Most of the stock ones dont fit with the new exhuast and the victor jr. manifold. They are like a foot short with the water pickups and I agree less is more!

Maybe i can get it cut to fit?